Hacking edge or acekard?

which do you like more? egde or acekard 2?

• edge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • acekard 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

double_vision

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
a few questions.

what is your opinion on the best flash card? (my dstt just died on me)

do both acekard and edge have wifi support?

is the seven dollar upgrade for the edge card worth it?

I see a lot of threads about problems with edge...
and people also say that dealextreme (where im ordering) may give faulty ones
feel free to post on your favorite flash cards besides acekard and edge

EDIT: everyone was debating. i put a poll up so we can know which one is more popular

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
get a m3 real, sakura is AMAZING.

it isnt quite fully operational (cheats are sketchy, and no soft reset yet) but they are still working on it.

the m3/g6 team is really good about updates, if there is a problem game that people actually care about they normally have a fix inside a week.

sakura is the fastest scrolling and browsing GUI i have seen.

if you use the triple boot you can use itouch firmware, and sakura and m3r firmware all on the same cart.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've had an itouch, didn't like it
EZflash V+ seems pretty good
Loved DSTT mainly because of YSMenu with was awesome with the EZFLash 3-in-1
Currently using an Acekard 2 which is my favorite.

Rezel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having the same problem. But I'm wresteling with getting either DSTT, Edge or Acekard 2.
Its leaning more and more towarads Acekard.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've had an Acekard 2 and DSTT and say that Acekard 2 is way better.

The DSTT menu sucks, so you'd probably want to use YSMenu
Acekard's AKAIO is good, and YSMenu is supported too

Can't say anything about the EDGE as I don't have one.

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
charlieiscool12 said:
a few questions.

what is your opinion on the best flash card? (my dstt just died on me)

do both acekard and edge have wifi support?

is the seven dollar upgrade for the edge card worth it?

I see a lot of threads about problems with edge...
and people also say that dealextreme (where im ordering) may give faulty ones
feel free to post on your favorite flash cards besides acekard and edge

Reading the topics about problems with Edge would help. Mostly because the user have no clue.
Out of 20 Edge cards 0 had any problems, all work fine and all came from DX.

Looking on acekard2 i see a lot topics about defective cards or they die after a few weeks.
The recently changed the card to revision 2.1. Dont know if they any better now. Before they where just cheap looking with bad build quality. The only good think ppl like is the menu.

There is a reason why acekard 2 is cheaper then the Edge.

I own many flashcards Cyclo DS evo, Edge, Ez Flash+, Supercard ds one and DSTT and have seen Acekard2 & m3 Real too.
Guess what i use ? Yes Edge and its getting better and better every update...........

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSAndi said:
The recently changed the card to revision 2.1. Dont know if they any better now. Before they where just cheap looking with bad build quality. The only good think ppl like is the menu.

The problems appear to have been fixed with the 2.1 version. The problem wasn't build quality -- it was quality control (a problem with a cold solder apparently).

I find the statement in bold interesting. The only good thing is the menu? For most people, the menu is the only thing that matters. The Acekard 2's menu system is better than the Edge. The Edge might be slightly more sturdy because the Acekard 2 is held together with plastic clips rather than screws or glued shut like some flash carts, but I've not heard of one falling apart or breaking (one person said they had theirs go through the washing machine and it still worked). Since the flash cart is inside the DS 99% of the time I'm not sure that any advantage the Edge has in "build quality" is particularly important to most people considering the better menu and price of the Acekard 2.

-Bri

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier, I'll agree with you that if someone is particularly concerned about build quality for whatever reason, the Edge is worth considering since it does seem to be one of the sturdier carts (the DSTT is also quite sturdy). However, having never heard of a single AK2 breaking, I can't say that I'd recommend an Edge over an Acekard 2 just because of build quality.

The Acekard 2 is definitely not as sturdy as some other flash carts, but I have never felt like mine was ever close to breaking or would break if I were to drop it. And considering the difference in price ($13 vs. $23), it really isn't that big of an investment if your Acekard 2 did happen to break.

By the way, I also ordered one of the new Acekard 2's and am interested in seeing if the new clips and lack of hole in the shell for the chip improve its sturdiness at all.

-Bri

Bootsum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
May I introduce other options?

EzFlash V Plus
smile.gif
is fairly cheap. The team is active and is adding more and more premium features into it. It's moving away from just a normal card.

Acekard2
smile.gif
is a good normal card. The only complaint is so-so build quality (people tell me it has higher failure rate although I have't justify it). But one thing for sure, it isn't sturdy enough and is prone to breaking.

DSTT
frown.gif
is a just a basic card. The OS is bad. It doesn't support folder view. It lacks some good features. The sorting isn't logical. It is hard to organise when you put more and more ROMs into it. Due to the presence of Acekard2, DSTT is hardly a good choice for that price segment.

Supercard DS One
smile.gif
smile.gif
is very feature-rich premium card. The price is justifiable for how many useful features it has added into it. Read Supercard DS One Review to see if you need such features or not. If so you should really go for it.

I don't recommend CycloDS
frown.gif
due to the presence of Supercard DS One. It's twice as expensive as Supercard DS One. Feature-wise, it doesn't really surpass Supercard DS One. Either has something that another doesn't.

pitoui

Trophies
XP
Country
I have owned both of these carts and I like the Acekard 2 much better. AKAIO has a really good GUI.

Overall I'd rather a Supercard DS1 though.

Edit: Acekard have fixed the problems with the faulty Acekards 2 with 2.1, so that shouldn't deter you.

jeeper421

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an Edge its a great card i would say it one of the top 5 cards made for build quality.
I don't own an acecard 2 since I don't really like ther way the card case snaps together
instead of being held together by a screw like most of the cards made.
The edge card is built really solid its actually heavier than most of the bargan cards and
it just got slow motion with firmware1.41

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Bri said:
I find the statement in bold interesting. The only good thing is the menu? For most people, the menu is the only thing that matters. The Acekard 2's menu system is better than the Edge.

-Bri
Personally i like the Edge Menu more then the acekard2 one.
Maybe give me a clue whats really better ? Beside that faster scolling and set a favorite game i cant think of any other usefull / better one.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSAndi said:
There is a reason why acekard 2 is cheaper then the Edge.
I have seen Acekard2. You sure got a lot of info about AK2 by just looking at one.

QUOTE(Bootsum @ Oct 13 2008, 05:04 AM) Acekard2 .... one thing for sure, it isn't sturdy enough and is prone to breaking.
May I ask how many times an AK2 has broken for you? Or can you link to any posts about that happening?

mc1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
gratefulbuddy said:
Too bad the last update was nearly two months ago.

last update was approx 10 days ago, for someone having a pop at the other guy for looking at an Ak2, you should really get your facts right.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=109137

FWIW I like the edge, but one day support will stop, after all look at the r4 now. Hopefully by the time support stops it will be time to move onto the next generation carts.

How much support are Acekard giving the Acekard 1? Do they have a track record of support older carts? I am not sure they do.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mc1 said:
gratefulbuddy said:
Too bad the last update was nearly two months ago.

last update was approx 10 days ago, for someone having a pop at the other guy for looking at an Ak2, you should really get your facts right.

I was wrong. You are right. Although, to be fair, I was never trying to "have a pop" at anyone. Actually, I don't know what that means.
I was only trying to point out the bias. Why give an opinion on based on sight alone? I think a valued opinion would be one based on experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.