ED64 Plus... my impressions. Any Owners around here?

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello!

I own an ED64 Plus since a few days, i got mine from ToToTek. As i recently visited the site, i saw this card, and because i've ordered a SNES and MD Pro64 Card in the past, and also because my recently investigation showed that other N64 Cards are up to 199$, i decided to get one.

I KNOW! It's a clone. And it's OS is from Everdrive64. Answers like: It's a pice of shit, it's crap, it won't get any further support are childish bullshit. I'am just interested how good/bad it works, and if i'am maybe handling the device wrong. And i just want to report a little, maybe someone else also got this cart, so we can change out information a little. That's all. Childish insults are senseless. Cause i really don't care.

I'am currently testing it functions, it's OS and it's stability.

What i know already:

- It's working great with my RGB-modded NTSC N64.
- It loads and starts every tested commercial rom so far
- It works well with a 2 GB Kingston micro SD (inserted in an SD-Adapter)
- It works well with an Toshiba 4GB SDHC Card
- Loading times are good. Takes about 6 seconds for a 320 Mbit Game like Paper Mario 64 (320Mbit are 40 MB)
- I'am using it with a japanese "Top Gear Hyperbike" Cart on top.
- It was delivered to me with Firmware 1.6, and OS 1.27, i've updated the OS to 1.28 yesterday. => http://www.ed64plus.com/?method=article_detail&id=7

Known Problems (At least for me):

- If a game is running, pressing the RESET-Button on the Console should take you back to the OS. This is also necessary to write down your game saver. But this is not working perfect. Sometimes you have to press the RESET-Button more than one time, or you have to hold it down for many seconds to get back to the OS.

Solved. Just press the Reset Button about 1-2 seconds and it should work

- I have to test games with different savetypes in the next days. And if the gamesaves are getting saved and loaded correctly. This is really important!

Solved. Every game i tested works.

Here are the first savegame test results (LAST updated Feb 17, 3013):

(All savegame tests have been made on an RGB Modded NTSC N64 with a japanese "Top Gear Hyperbike" (CIC 6102) cart inserted on top of the ED64 Plus and an Expansion Pak inserted in the N64!)

- Dr. Mario 64 (U) [!] (EEPROM 4Kb) - Works
- Mario kart 64 (U) [!] (EEPROM 4 Kb) - Works
- Mega Man 64 (U) [!] (FlashRAM) - Error No 1*!
- The new Tetris (U) [!] (SRAM) - Works
- Yoshi's Story (U) (M2) [!] (EEPROM 64 Kb) - Error No 1*
- Ridge Racer 64 (U) [!] (EEPROM 64 Kb) - Error No 1*
- Ogre Battle 64 (U) [!] (SRAM) - Works
- Mario Tennis (U) [!] (EEPROM 64 Kb) - Works
- Tigger's Honey Hunt (U) [!] (FlashRAM) - Works
- Jet Force Gemini (U) [!] (FlashRAM) - Works (What a suprise!)

All files had the ending ".z64"

Error No 1* = Unable to get back to OS via RESET-Button to save down the savegame to file; RESET-Button does not react!

Solved. Just press the Reset Button about 1-2 seconds and it should work

Does anyone here also own an ED64 Plus? Yes? So please: post your experiences with it!

If anyone has a question, just let me know!

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you have any original cartridge with CIC6105 to test? Here's a list of games with their respective CICs: http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php?topic=7182.0
What I want to know is whether or not ED64PLUS can run Jet Force Gemini and Banjo-Tooie, unpatched, by simply plugging a CIC6105 cartridge (eg. Legend of Zelda) on top.

Yes, i have a 6105 Cart to Test. But IMHO: I would be highly suprised if the ED64 Plus can run one of these 2 very problematic games, and also save the gamesave correctly. In the instruction manual of the ED64 Plus is nothing written about using any other original bootcart than a 6102. So i have to test if using an 6105 bootcart changes anything.

BTW: In the ED64 Plus Manual, a nice list is included that shows all important games, their CIC and savetype.

Ordered mine yesterday. Will post when I get it, maybe even video-review it. :)

Would be nice, if you stick to this topic and tell us your opinion and the things you will experience with the ED64 Plus :D

I'll test more games, and if they save correctly or not in the next few days, i'll also check if it changes anything to change the original bootcart, i have one of every CIC-type here at home :grog:

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As stated, they are poor clones of the everdrive 64, I would really advise people to avoid them.
http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...-in-action-My-unfortunate-experiance-with-one

If you want a quality N64 cart, you want an Everdrive 64 or 64Drive:
http://krikzz.com/ (http://stoneagegamer.com/everdrive64.aspx)
http://64drive.retroactive.be/
If the clone works as advertised, what difference does it really make to the end user whether or not its design came from something else? To a consumer, the only useful information is how well it works. I really appreciate what Bonny is doing here.

So far, most of the negative reviews of this device have come from people who don't even have one. Like that thread above, the only person who actually had the device was the OP, who was having trouble getting it to work at all. Everyone else that gave their opinions on the device didn't even have one, and their opinions lacked actual substance as a result. This kind of bandwagon hopping behaviour is utterly unhelpful to anyone looking for genuine information.

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@leic7:
The ED64plus is a clone of the first version of the Everdrive64.
The second version has improved loading times and much more bugfixes.

If the ED64plus would be much cheaper it would be an option, but it´s only 20$ difference to an original Everdrive v2.

Reactions: Count Duckula

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If the ED64plus would be much cheaper it would be an option, but it´s only 20$ difference to an original Everdrive v2.

This.

I really don't see the point of buying that clone, I bought months ago the original one, so I'm sure I'll get support for a while and that the build quality is there.
Krikzz actually showed how terrible the soldering job is on those clones, is the life of your precious childhood's N64 worth those few dollars saved?

Reactions: Count Duckula

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I updated the first post. Looks like the ED64 Plus (at least with my hardware constellation) has problems with games who are using FLASH or EEPROM 64kb as savetype.

You can start and play these games with no problem, but the RESET-Button is NOT taking you back to the OS. And this is necessary to save your gamesave. If this problem can't be solved by changing the hardware constellation (N64 itself, Boot-Cart) or by software (maybe update?), then the following games can (maybe) be played, but you can't save your gamesave:

Games who are using EEPROM 64 kb:

Banjo-Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Cruis'n World
Donkey Kong 64
Excitebike 64
Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
Perfect Dark
Ridge Racer 64
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Yoshi's Story

Games whou are using FLASH:

Command & Conquer
Jet Force Gemini Kiosk
Jet Force Gemini
Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The
Megaman 64
NBA Courtside 2 featuring Kobe Bryant
Paper Mario
Pokémon Puzzle League
Pokémon Snap
Pokémon Stadium
Pokémon Stadium 2
Starcraft 64
Tigger's Honey Hunt
WWF: No Mercy

That would be sad. But even if this should be true: You can still play over 90% of all commercial N64 games with an ED64 Plus.

Here is a list of nearly all games with their savetype (scroll down to the bottom): http://www.elitendo.com/n64/usa_boot_save_faq.html

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@[Truth]
But for someone who already considers $60 to be too expensive for any flashcart, this 20$ difference presents an additional layer of psychological barrier to them. In order to accept $60+$20 is okay for a flashcart, one would have to overcome the initial challenge created by the prohibitive price tag of $60, and THEN convince themselves the 'utility' of the presumed improvements of another product of the same function is actually worth the $20 premium. PLEASE DON'T TRIVALISE THIS PROCESS. lol I still remember the time when I was questioning myself about the purchase of a $2 ipad game.

@Bonny
If Mario Tennis and Yoshi's Story both have the same save type that should give them "Error No 1*" status, why does Mario Tennis have the status "Works" in the first post? Is that a typo?

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Bonny
If Mario Tennis and Yoshi's Story both have the same save type that should give them "Error No 1*" status, why does Mario Tennis have the status "Works" in the first post? Is that a typo?

No, it's not a typo. I started Mario Tennis, begun a match, saved my game. Pressed the RESET-Button, got back to the OS. Then i started an other game, pressed the RESET-Button, saved it's gamesave. Then again started Mario Tennis, and the gamesave was still there.

So it seems, EEPROM 64 kB is not always a problem.

Here's another thing i found out: If you play a game with the ED64 Plus, the RESET-Button of the N64 has no longer it's normal "game-Reset"-Function. Just pressing the button does actually nothing, at least for me here. You have to hold the button down, for (many) seconds, until you are taken back to the OS of the ED64 Plus (for saving you're gamesave and selecting an other game). Sometimes i had to hold down the button for 15-30 Seconds and more to get back to the OS. Maybe... Yoshi's Story, and maybe also the other Games with FLASH would work, if i just were holding the RESET-button down for longer. But i really was holding down the Button for nearly a minute or more on Mega Man 64... and i tried more than one time :unsure: But maybe if i were more patient... :sleep: I will now test, if i can manage an other FLASH-Game to save successfully. If this should work... maybe all games can save if you just hold down the button long enough... OR... some EEPROM 64Kb and FLASH games are able to save and some don't :wacko:

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What I want to know is whether or not ED64PLUS can run Jet Force Gemini and Banjo-Tooie, unpatched, by simply plugging a CIC6105 cartridge (eg. Legend of Zelda) on top.
2 FlashRAM Games tested succesfully: Tigger's Honey Hunt and Jet Force Gemini! Both were able to save the gamesave!

Banjo-Tooie (U) [!] gave me a black screen, so it didn't even load. I have to look if it helps to change the Bootcard.

does it work with games hacks/translated games like the translation for animal forest(animal crossing)?

I found a rom of Animal Crossing (Forest) who was translated to English (i guess pre-patched). I could boot it, but as i started the game, a guitar-playing (tiger? bear? frog?) told me something about my clock and how fragile it is. As i selected "Set clock" it crashed. What's the all about? Had this game an internal clock-chip or what?

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey Bonny,
i bought me a ED64plus too but the enhanced Version with CIC soldered in from Aliexpress.
That way i dont need a cartrige to boot.
I did not test it much yet since i only testet if it works since i have to room atm to have the N64 hooked to TV.
I did not experience the issues you have with the reset button.
I dont know how to change the background, what do i have to do since there is nothing about it in the instructions?

By the way it works great with Kingmax 8GB micro SD class 10.
Oh and the price was 77.80$ shipped with installed CIC.

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nope the original would have cost me at least twice as much and i only need it for the 6 or 7 Games over 32MB.
Every Game till 32MB i run with my CD64plus witch is much better then the Everdrive 64 or ED64plus.

Also ED64plus comes finished, with shell and CIC installed. Everdrive 64 PCB only and you need to buy shell, USB port and CIC maybe even u still need to alter the shell and solder the CIC. That costs 144$.
So for me i dont see why i should spend twice as much money just to replace the Dr.V64jr 512 for like 6 or 7 games.

If you want to use the Everdrive 64 only maybe its better to buy the original since you might get more support.

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ED64 is a sub-par copy of Krikzz Everdrive 64 revision 1.00 or revision 1.01 flash cart. It doesn't have the latest features that Krikzz builds in and also the grounding rail (not sure if that is the proper term, any electronics engineers here?) is missing from the ED64+ as well as the PCB is sub-par quality of its own and the cart connector on the top is completely useless garbage (no, you can NOT use this to back up cartridges. the craptastic cart slot on the top which will give up on you after 10 or so uses is for plugging in a different CIC chip thru cart [pass thru CIC] and that is all it is there for. saves? no. this uses Krikzz menu, there's no provision for backing up any type of data whatsoever thru the ED64+ or the ED64 to SD card at all).

Take good solid advice, buy the Krikzz product. Even if you don't care about supporting the maker of the ED64, his product only costs pennies more (or the same if you get jipped on overpriced shipping cost somehow). You will only save a max of $20 last time I checked and you will get a product that isn't as good.

ED64+ will work but it isn't worth the money. If it was $10-$25 then ya go ahead but it is over 50 bucks + s/h. Waste of cash.

Krikzz uses a better PCB manufacturing facility, he does his own in-house Q/A and he is an electronics engineer so I am certain he follows ISO compliant soldering techiniques as well as ISO ESD precautions, both of which are important. Plus the original Krikzz card, as I mentioned before, has a grounding rail which attaches directly to the steel chassis of a retail N64 cart if you take it apart and swap the guts with the flash cart, or if you buy one from Krikzz that is already put together. This is important to safeguard the electronics inside from electro-static discharge (ESD). It was a great innovation on Nintendo's behalf of video game cartridge technology.

** but don't just take my word for it, google search for ED64+ PCB and Everdrive 64 PCB and note the differences, you will clearly see that this entire post of mine is 100% accurate ** I am in no way affiliated with any group / release / scene / web shop **

While it is a good and excellent idea to clone everything on the planet (*cough* R4, gateway, link etc *cough*) one should purchase the best quality product which is a wise way to use their money. ED64+ gets a ** 2 stars out of 10 from me. Krikzz product gets full ********** 10/10 stars. Plus ED64+ team will never support the product, they can't even code for it. Krikzz has dropped support for that cloned revision of PCB a long time ago.

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
While it is a good and excellent idea to clone everything on the planet (*cough* R4, gateway, link etc *cough*) one should purchase the best quality product which is a wise way to use their money. ED64+ gets a ** 2 stars out of 10 from me. Krikzz product gets full ********** 10/10 stars. Plus ED64+ team will never support the product, they can't even code for it. Krikzz has dropped support for that cloned revision of PCB a long time ago.

2 stars out of 10 ... :rolleyes: Whatever you say...

After testing the ED64plus for month now, i have to say:

- 97% of all commercial games run and save. 2% needs cracks/patches to run, and about 1% is incompatibe
- All save types are supported
- Cart works like a charm, no slowdowns or crashes
- Cart can be used on NTSC and PAL consoles, just use a bootcart matching your Region

I'am happy with it!

Plus ED64+ team will never support the product, they can't even code for it. Krikzz has dropped support for that cloned revision of PCB a long time ago.

Who cares? The last commercial game was released 13 years ago. There isn't anything that has to be "updated". And who cares for N64 homebrew... :rofl:
Let me know when Krikzz can provied some really fancy things like 100% working real-time save... that would be a feature i would really miss on my Ed64plus :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2