Eco Creatures - Save the Forest is an awesome real-time strategy RPG.

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Ruri, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Ruri
    OP

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Has anyone else been playing this game? I haven't seen much discussion over it, and I wanted to make sure it isn't overlooked because of its unassuming and somewhat generic name... it's actually a very neat real-time strategy RPG. It reminds me a bit of Lost Magic, but it feels more refined and better made overall... one nice thing is that the level time limits are optional (you get extra 'mana drops' for meeting them, but mana drops are common anyway, and you can replay levels as much as you want to earn more.)

Anyway. I just thought I should mention it, because I overlooked it a while because of the name myself.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Went under my radar too, consider it on my list of stuff to check out.

Also they can make for some fairly great games to hack.

3. MagNetCZ

Member MagNetCZ GBAtemp Fan

Czech Republic
    I like the game but I would maybe like a more traditional RTS approach (as in unit control).

Nonetheless it's cool and should've been released much sooner considering when the J version was.

4. ZeroEXE93

Member ZeroEXE93 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It looks a bit kiddy... Is it good though? How's the gameplay?

5. Ruri
    OP

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    No moreso than most games like this (no worse than, say, Lost Magic or that Final Fantasy 12 DS game, both of which this strongly resembles.) Sure, it has colorful squirrels, but in some ways its simple plot is less kiddy than Lost Magic's kid-off-to-save-the-world or FF12's heroic-teenager-sky-pirate wish-fufillment fantasy.

The plot is that the forest is being threatened by an empire that uses robots to cut down the trees, etc. The old wizard who lives in the forest wants to defend it, but since he's so old, he sends you, his apprentice, to protect it instead. Your units are squirrel-like animals you summon out of trees. There are some serious moments; for instance, at one point early on, you ask the old wizard why he doesn't just destroy the evil empire if he's so powerful, and he warns you that even if the evil empire is destroyed, other people will keep trying to destroy the forest until they learn to respect it. Or whatever, you get the idea.

The gameplay is fairly similar to Lost Magic in that you have your spellcasting main character, then a bunch of summoned monsters. Unlike in Lost Magic, though, you can control your main character directly with the joypad... and you can't order your summons to go anyplace off screen from where your main character is, which can be a bother. You don't lose the game when your main character dies; instead, you have a 'main base' on each level (like those resurrection crystal thingies in the FF12 DS game?), and you're brought back to life there if you die. Of course, you lose if your main base thingy is destroyed. You also use your main base to summon things, so summons are very expendable (like FF12 DS summons.)

Units don't level through combat (or at least, not much); instead, depending on how you do (and via some other events) you earn 'mana drops' that you use to upgrade them. Mana drops give units XP, and colored ones also refocus their stats (eg lowering defense but raising attack); eventually, they learn special skills, and colored drops can change those skills. You can also decide the number of individual squirrel-creatures in a unit; larger units advance more slowly (and if you enlarge a small unit, it loses xp), so a smaller unit will be higher-level and can be summoned faster, but a larger one can cover more ground, do more at once, etc.

You also have 'structures' you build in the form of trees -- there's 'support' trees that increase the number of units you can have on the map (like Starcraft resource buildings), 'healing' trees that heal any friendly units nearby, and 'house' trees that you can summon your units out of. There's also generic trees, which are mostly just useful as walls. You can only build certain trees at certain points (eg. healing trees can only be grown near flowers.)

There are several useful interface improvements over Lost Magic... you can easily select every unit of a given type on the screen (there are three broad types, which can be further specialized by using colored drops to change their special skills), and units behave reasonably intelligently when they don't have orders (they have 'personalities' which you can change through events that determine how they behave, eg. aggressive ones throw themselves into fights with nearby opponents.)

Anyway, you get the idea. It's pretty fun.

6. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    wow sounds alright. ill check it out later.

7. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    This game is a blast!

I just love the graphics and how you can control your little army of furry creatures! [​IMG]

Definitely a fun game for you peeps who like RTS games, and for folks who just like playing a cute, relaxing game.

Great game [​IMG]

8. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    It's a kickass game, don't let the kiddy graphics fool you!
    Some of the gameplay music reminds me alot of Final Fantasy too, play it NAO!

9. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I've been enjoying it as well. It's funny; it's like a Dragon Quest Heroes RTS. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to quickly maneuver the map when I want to. For instance, if I want to send my squirrels to the other side of the map, I first have to walk my big orange dude over there and then have my squirrels follow. There's got to be a quicker way to toggle the map for fast commands of my units. [​IMG]

10. Fieryshadowz

Member Fieryshadowz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That seems like the only flaw to me as well, unless someone knows how to do it =D I really hate when my Ecomon goes off and I don't have enough to rally pickup things. =/

11. Dylan

Australia
    Im waiting until I finish new FF to start it.

12. Gogg

Newcomer Gogg Member

United States
    Yeah, this game is really good. It's similar to Pikmin in a way.

13. Dylan

Australia
    I finally tried it and I found it a little bit too cutesy for my liking but I thnk its worth finishing. Might write a full review.

14. Japhle

Member Japhle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    totally missed it, I completely thought it was as fruity as something like the imagine series, oh well, I guess I'll go get it.

15. Wekker

Member Wekker GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    it pretty good game, the graphic are ok, it feel like i am playing pikmn game
    imo it one of the good rts game on ds

16. DespizingU

Member DespizingU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm loving the game. But I'm having trouble...
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Arg...