Echoes: My Hex Edit changes are reverting when transferred from the PC to SD card

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Ghostlander, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Ghostlander
    OP

Ghostlander GBAtemp Regular

Jun 26, 2015
    United States
    Something really weird is happening.

I take a chapter 1 file, decompress with FETS, open with hxD, change what I need to (stats, a class, etc) and then save it. Then I send that back through FETS to become a normal chapter 1 file again. Then I put that in the folder of the save I'm going to import through JKS.

It worked the first time no problem when I changed Atlas to lvl 20 baron to use the DLC to make him a Spartan.

But now, when going back and trying to change his stats, OR change another character's class, The above steps remain the same but the changes don't hold. NOTHING changes in the game, so I thought to put that same file back on to my PC and open it with HxD and guess what? It's reverted! To the post edited version. I make sure and look at decompressed one on my PC, and the changes are definitely saved there.

What the actual hell is going on here?

2. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Do you really need to keep posting new threads for every issues with Echoes (or anything else) you come across? You can't just keep posting in the Echoes save discussion thread?

3. Ghostlander
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    United States

This applies to Hex Editing in general across the board. The saves and having an issue with getting it to work.

4. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    But if it's an Echoes save data related issue, as the title first post suggest, it should be in the Save Discussion thread, as it relates to Echoes save editing.

Misledz likes this.
  5. Ghostlander
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    United States

But its a HXD PROBLEM. Not an Echoes Problem. I could have left out the word echoes and it would be all good? Because that's the real issue here. A problem I'm having with HDX

6. Misledz

Misledz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 3, 2015
    Yes.. But any issues that related with hex editing the saves are to be on that thread. Perhaps someone will give a better solution, but right now it's just a new thread that will get overlooked and closed if it's not a game related issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's not a HxD problem. You said it yourself, HxD saves the changes successfully.

8. Misledz

Misledz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 3, 2015
    10/10 he either edited the wrong file or imported the wrong backup one in jksm

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

9. Ghostlander
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    United States
    Except I didn't. And I've tried it multiple times. Instead of people being assholeassholes on purpose, could there be one actual reply attempting to help? Wht is everyone being scummy