ecc failed. page 73. on nand.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by shortz1994, Jun 10, 2011.

Jun 10, 2011
  1. shortz1994
    OP

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    the other day i tried to do a nand dump. to build a uneek nand. i got to page 73-74 an it gave me a ecc falied. an the screen freezed. as far as i can see, the wii works with no problems, just can't do a dump. i used any title deleter, an removed a couple of b.s. channels i hade made to test. an then this had happened. can i do an update with mod mii or is my wii dead in the water, but not bricked. i can still upload wads, an everything. [​IMG]

2. jonthedit

Member jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Bermuda
    Well did you ever install darkcorp? If not, I can't help you. You'll just have to wait for mauifrog

3. shortz1994
    OP

United States
    you mean brickcorp. nope don't want to. [​IMG]

4. Helsionium

Member Helsionium Alpha and Omega

Austria
    Your Wii's NAND is probably physically damaged (worn out), that is to be excpected since all NAND chips fail after a certain number of write cycles. No kind of update can possibly fix this, and there is no need to fix because the Wii's file system is designed to handle defective blocks. You might just notice a slight decrease of your NAND's capacity.
    AnyTitle Deleter can't cause this, because the defect is on a hardware (physical) level. If AnyTitle Deleter could ever cause damage, than that would be to the file system, not to the hardware.
    Unfortunately I don't know if/how you can still dump your NAND, because I never experienced an ECC error.

5. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    I don't think NAND would be screwed this time. Perhaps the NAND you flashed rewrote a good sector onto a bad one?

Why don't you just compile a new NAND ? ohneswanzenegger (NAND builder) will do it for you. However if you don't know the hell you're doing, don't do it.

6. shortz1994
    OP

United States
    thanks coto will check it out. i remember seeing that discussed here, it's from pune right. i like all his apps, never had any problems running them. [​IMG]

7. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    ecc failures are quite common. They happen because of homebrew apps. Your nand is not failing or getting worn out. But bootmii locking up during the nand dump has just got to be a bug in bootmii. I know that the previous version (the one that came with hackmii installer 0.7) would lock up on stuff like that, but I have not had any lock ups with the newest version. Try again and see what happens.

This isn't hugely important, but there is a difference between correctable and uncorrectable pages.

Just use modmii to create an emulated.

8. Coto

Chile
    Here's what I used to build/prevent any bricks during my nand flashing.

I don't have a boot2 wii now. So it was quite risky.

1. Get ohneswanzenegger from the wiki site.

2. Get a freshly made bootmii nand dump (keep trying if you can't). Back it up somewhere.

3. Open ohneswanzenegger, set a local cache folder, you can make a new folder, and rename it to localcache inside ohneswanzenegge's folder. The name isn't important.

Next, Click Nand Dump >> New Nand...

4. Click the giant "Existing Nand" button, choose your nand.bin from bootmii dump. It'll get the NAND's bad sectors, boot1 & 2 bootcode and the uid.sys (choose 'from old NAND')

5. Now you choose the new path for nand.bin (in desktop will do..)

6. On the text area (the one over localcache directory and at the left side of "v"), put "4.2u" without colons (or depending which SM fw you want) then click "Get it!" This will take a while, and once everything is done, you'll have your new built NAND!

6.1 Close ohneswanzenegger, Grab the newnand.bin you made in desktop along your existing keys.bin & bootmii folder, and move them onto your SD (overwrite files if necessary)

--
    //**** This is what I've done to at least have a recovery menu in case of a wrong NAND flash process (of course without a boot2 (boot1) sector to write)*****// I did it and it worked for me quite fine but I take no responsibility if something goes wrong!!
    --

7. Boot bootmii, choose the red arrow in options (the icon with the red arrow pointing to a chip), get a gamecube controller, put the konami code to flash your freshly made nand.

8. Without turning your wii off once the nand flash has succeded, (you'll need the whole hackmii installer or at least the boot.elf file on your SD card), go back into bootmii main menu, choose the SD ICON, access the hackmii installer folder where you have the *.dol & *.elf files, click the boot.elf (or whatever the filename is, but it MUST be *.elf), and the hackmii installer will pop on your screen! Yay.

8.1 Now go to install Bootmii as IOS, and press yes for install it and to overwrite the necessary files onto your SD card. Next, go back, install the homebrew channel. Once its finished, **DO NOT TURN THE WII OFF**. Click Exit the hackmii installer.

9. You´ll arrive at Homebrew Channel instantly (please by any means, DO NOT TURN THE WII OFF), take out the SD, download & put the latest priiloader in your SD card again,take it out off your computer.. >> plug it back to your wii. Run priiloader setup, and install it by pressing A. Once it's done, exit.

Once you arrive the homebrew channel once again, press home from wiimote's button. and turn your wii off from there. (TURN IT OFF.. PLEASE, don't put anything like back to system menu, etc)

10. Once it boots again, it'll take a while (I got a blue screen for some seconds) so be patient. Next follow the onscreen instructions.

If something goes wrong, I mean it didn't boot up, you can always access priiloader, then homebrew channel, and do what you want.

9. Coto

Chile
    What if he has bad sectors? How would modmii's built NAND know this?

10. shortz1994
    OP

United States
    i can do that with modmii an dump it to my wii's nand?. i have sneek. so i'm using that. or should i just grab the bootmii file from modmii? an retry. an what are the difference cause it does say "uncorrectable". it showes up as two blocks that are bad, guessing here, but page 72-74. is what it looks like, unlike the 1 block for "factory bad block"
    thanks deadly.

11. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Bad blocks doesn't matter with an emulated nand. He would not be using modmii's built emulated nand to install on his nand, he's just going to use it from an SD card or USB drive.

12. Coto

Chile
    Ahh... through sneek.. I thought the NAND built by modmii to be flashed directly onto his nand flash chip, hence why the steps described above.