Eating these animals, do you accept?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by deathfisaro, Aug 1, 2009.

?

Seals

1. Acceptable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Unacceptable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Aug 1, 2009
  1. deathfisaro
    OP

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    Debate over eating seal meats was hot in Canada recently, I wonder what tempers think. (Couldn't find one using the search button)

I also added a couple more type of meat for extra fun (on my part anyway).

I've tried beef, bison, lamb, pork, chicken, duck (incl. foie gras), turkey, pigeon, frog, escargot, horse, veal, venison, and I think hare.

I know some of the meats I've eaten may have been treated in a way that can make me a vegan, but so far I'm fine.

Personally, I don't particularly oppose any food eating culture besides cannibalism.

I think seals were first eaten because Eskimos can't find much protein up there. Sooner or later people found that the meat is good and now people eat them as preference. As long as they can be sustained, I think why not. We eat wild animals already anyway.

I don't mind people eating dogs either, they're not eating pet dogs and I'm not the kind of person who opposes eating dogs just because they're more urban-suited than pet cows or pet pigs (like full-sized pigs, not guinea). But I heard Koreans hang the dogs and beat them to death to "tenderize the meat" I'm like WTF they don't have meat tenderizers in Korea? You tenderize the meat AFTER you kill it!

Foie gras... I'm not sure if the ones I had was force-fed or naturally fattened. I had one in November, and duck livers naturally get fattened during Winter and I got a tiny piece. (But trust me, that sized foie gras was enough for two. But it was good, there was no overpowering foul smell or taste like the one I had previously) I heard that the force-feeding procedure is actually not that disturbing to ducks. But still there are "natural" foie gras available.

2. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    I've only eaten Turkey (bacon), pork, beef, chicken, fish, lamb and such kinds of common meat before. So it sounds disgusting to me.

On a side note: Anybody tried insects before. E.G: Fried cicadas or spiders? Sounds even grosser to me.

3. Shakraka

Member Shakraka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

Last edited by Shakraka, Oct 20, 2015
  4. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    eating animals is fine. as long as they aren't endangered or anything. i find it hard to think that a pig is any different to a dog in this matter. afaik pigs are smarter than dogs as well.

5. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    ^^my same opinion

6. benjaminlibl

Member benjaminlibl Funky Member

Singapore
    I've had the wasp larvae before. Deep fried. Apparently they eat that in Yun Nan.

I put unacceptable for dog because I have one..

7. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Not on the list but we had a European market here a bit back and I had a Kangaroo burger [​IMG]

Tasted pretty good altho could not keep it down [​IMG] j/k but I did have the burger ...tasted less fatty than beef and a pleasant after taste [​IMG]

Eating meat is fine in my books so long as its intentionally bred for the purpose of eating!

Eating dogs to some people is no different to eating say chicken,pigs,cows etc for others .. they don't domesticate them then eat them ..that's why most of the world don't eat them they make friends with them!

Same as If you made friends with a chicken or a pig you would not decide to eat it later on!

Once you make friends with an animal it becomes a matter of ethics do you eat your friend or not!

I agree to reasons why people choose not to eat any meat at all and that's entirely down to them its THEIR CHOICE just as its MY CHOICE to eat it! [​IMG]

8. deathfisaro
    OP

Canada
    AFAIK, the seals Canadians eat are not endangered. There are a few species of seals that are endangered but that doesn't mean sustainable seals should not be eaten.
    That's like "people shouldn't eat any fish because there are endangered species of fish" kind of logic.

I'm adding this comment because some people may think that seals are endangered in general.

As for eating dogs, (hopefully) nobody eats their pet dogs. People choose whether a cow will become a meat cow or a pet cow, so people also can choose whether a dog will become a meat dog or a pet dog.

It looks like people are more lenient towards eating foie gras. It is a delicacy but people say the other two are as well.

Shouldn't write more as I might influence people's votes =P

9. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Insects are delicious.

10. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Eww.. I'd never consider eating insects.

I've no problem with people eating seals, but only if they are killed in a humane manner. I've seen some programs where the seals are beaten to death and suffer a long drawn out death.

I'm indifferent about Foie gras. The force feeding usually takes over 2 weeks which is a very long time for the animal to remain uncomfortable.

I realise dogs are animals also, I just could never view them as food. Probably because I have one.

11. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    *is a vegetarian*

12. Lametta

Member Lametta GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Im a vegetarian too [​IMG]

13. deathfisaro
    OP

Canada
    Just out of curiosity, even though you're vegetarian does people eating a certain type of meat offend you more than "common meats" in your culture?

Because I saw this guy on youtube who's vegetarian and opposes seal hunt, but feeds his cat with meat products to the point the cat got too fat to continue eating meat. I guess he must be on the most hypocritic side of vegetarians =P

14. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    I... I really don't approve of eating any meat at all. Since we all have a choice now, whether or not to eat meat, I really don't approve. I try to avoid it when possible. But I'm not a die hard vegetarian. I like meat. I disapprove of all of the above foods mentioned.

15. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Nothing wrong with eating any of those, though in my personal experience they don't taste that great (though I haven't tried dog meat)

16. tylerxian

Member tylerxian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have never tried any of the ones listed, nor do I wish to. But I feel that eating every one of those is fine, perhaps except for the dog (since I have one).

17. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Yeah I'd have to draw the line at dogs. Just doesn't seem right to me, and I'm Asian.

You also should have put monkey in the poll. [​IMG]

I remember I ate alligator meat once, spit it out immediately even though I didn't know what it was at the time. Another reason why I don't eat exotic animal meat is simply because they taste bad.

18. benjaminlibl

Member benjaminlibl Funky Member

Singapore
    I heard it's a lot tougher than beef, is it true?

19. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I eat. Lamb, Beef, Chicken, Turkey, fish, and other meat those are the only ones I can think off...

How the hell could you eat a dog... That's just wrong.

20. geedub

Member geedub GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    personally i wouldnt eat dog meat ! but each person / country / culture to their own

i was in norway last year and i did have whale and reindeer ! when i got home and told my kids , they wernt best pleased id been eating rudolph [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]