Hacking Easy Way to Hack ANY 3DS! (This method is way easier than Plailect's Guide!)

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 30,360
  • Replies 80
  • Likes 6
Status
Not open for further replies.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since it's not a violation of our rules. Therefore the thread is still open. Their guide technically work no?

It was more of a rhetorical question tbh, but seeing as you're asking I think it brings confusion as guides can be outdated very quickly. For the same reason the majority of us on here frequently recommend against following YouTube guides.

The guide is the guide and will always be the guide, that's all really.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I followed this thread only partially and thought long if replying would do any good. I’m ready to accept @dwain12435 had good intentions when writing this (and putting some effort in it). Nevertheless my comments why I don’t think having yet another guide is a good idea and what I think is dangerous here; making the guide shorter (“easier”) by omitting steps is not a good idea either.
  1. Not mentioning hardware testing the SD.
    • Fake or defective or corrupted SDs can cause serious trouble.
    • If everything seemingly worked good and the NAND image is written to a bad SD this might lead to impossibility of NAND restore and/or secondary damage if the backup is needed at some point.
  2. Missing setup Luma3DS boot.firm to CTRNAND. If the console SD reader fails at some point this makes the console a full brick. Not completely missing. Still not optimal since the script self-deletes.
  3. I’m not very happy with so called “convenient all-in-one-packages" in order to only have to download and extract a single archive. Those require the author to constantly monitor for necessary updates and will most likely be outdated pretty soon.
    • The same is true for the tutorial: It has to be maintained – like the “official” guide.
    • Like video guides, another resource makes troubleshooting and helping newbies harder. If everybody used the “official” guide it would be so much easier to help.
  4. Official GodMode9 scripts (Megascript) are missing in the package. Only an incomplete replacement. Why?
    • The uninstall part of the script in the package looks pretty short and relies on having native firmware already on SD if I got this correctly.
    • The backup option in this script doesn''t include the serial number but names the image "System Backup.bin" This gets confusing for people with multiple consoles.
  5. DSP dumping is missing.
My conclusion: Incomplete, potentially dangerous in special cases.

Since it's not a violation of our rules. Therefore the thread is still open. Their guide technically work no?
As for that question: As far as I can see this it should technically work, yes. Could not verify the new method on my test machine (always got stuck on red screen on trying to start slotTool – but this particular console is far from representative) and ended up without CFW.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yeah, @LinusRG tutorial for not getting banned also work and the thread was closed 'cause being irrelevant, and potentially dangerous.
This guide presents a potential risk. Imagine Nintendo releases a new system version, which breaks current methods of installing and causes old guides to brick. While the official guide is maintained by a lot of knowledgeable people, this guide is only maintained by a single person which may or may not update the guide. Also, seeing the claims this user made, they look a bit selfish.
dwain12435 said:
NOTE: Plailect's Guide has now added this method, but I am going to leave this guide up, since I worked hard writing this guide. (And in my opinion, this guide is simpler than Plailect's Guide, since you only need to download one file.)
For me, this is enough to not trust this user and this guide, including any claims that it will be updated.
Also, as many other users said, it will cause a pain to the entire community as they try to help users who made the mistake of following outdated guides.

D

Deleted User

OP
2. Missing setup Luma3DS boot.firm to CTRNAND. If the console SD reader fails at some point this makes the console a full brick.
Actually, the Temporary.gm9 script takes care of this. The Temporary.gm9 script also pits the Original Firmware in the correct location on the SD Card, allowing the uninstall script to work.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Actually, the Temporary.gm9 script takes care of this. The Temporary.gm9 script also pits the Original Firmware in the correct location on the SD Card, allowing the uninstall script to work.
Okay. Good. Didn't see this. But it shows the problem: All members helping in the 3DS section are used to the "official guide" and the scripts and everything. If a new guide pops up, with custom scripts, this means spending hours to analyse it and maybe test it. You can blame me only partially for not sacrificing even more of my free time. (Same with the videos – it is so tedious to react to problems caused by random YouTube guides.) Why would this be a good idea? Improving on existing methods and descriptions is something different than reinventing the wheel. Understanding all this (and comparing it to the known guide) is hard work for anybody wanting to help users.

I really don't want to offend you or anything like that. I can clearly see that you spent hours too. The question is: Why?

It took years for The Guide to become what it is now. Thoroughly tested and as noob-proof as possible. The guide is not long because it is complicated. It is long because it is extremely simplified and holds the users hand on every step while maintaining a maximum of security providing links to the latest versions of the needed software. Creating a new guide, possibly easier and faster, with the same good quality would require a lot of testing – including the reactions of some beginners. Being short is not sufficient for being noob-friendly. I get it, many people nowadays don't want to read. "tl;dr" But this does not change the fact, that softmodding a console requires at least a basic knowledge and therefore a somewhat detailed explanation.

I've now noticed that the Temporary.gm9 self-deletes (makes sense with that name). What if Luma3DS or GodMode9 gets an update? That would mean updating boot.firm and 1:/rw/luma/payloads/GodMode9.firm manually (or adding the Megascript). It is hard enough convince beginners to update Luma on SD and CTRNAND while having an semi-automatic option (link to here). Still there have been a lot of cases with "Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es)" on corrupted SDs while the failsafe on CTRNAND was outdated. With manual copying… no way.

Fine. The temporary script takes care of proving native firm for uninstallation with the other custom script. Neither your guide nor the script contains any warning about what can happen on B9S removal while the uninstall option is included.

Writing a new guide from scratch is not that easy. Please address these problems.

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The question is: Why?
I'm not OP, but I kinda know the answer from the experience of all the years seen how others make "ultimate" guides.
'Cause they think mostly, is easy. They think once is written, it will remain "ultimate" forever, cause the title implies it.
Not that OP thinks that way, of 'course he wants to help, but they think is easy to surpass the fool-proof nature of the official guide.

Maybe is easier this guide than the official, but it avoids some stuff and warnings that the official guide includes, and it packs everything onto a single download, and troubleshooting some step, or verifying some files becomes harder.
That's why this guide shouldn't be considered superior to the official one, not even OP should think that.

D

Deleted User

OP
I'm not OP, but I kinda know the answer from the experience of all the years seen how others make "ultimate" guides.
'Cause they think mostly, is easy. They think once is written, it will remain "ultimate" forever, cause the title implies it.
Not that OP thinks that way, of 'course he wants to help, but they think is easy to surpass the fool-proof nature of the official guide.

Maybe is easier this guide than the official, but it avoids some stuff and warnings that the official guide includes, and it packs everything onto a single download, and troubleshooting some step, or verifying some files becomes harder.
That's why this guide shouldn't be considered superior to the official one, not even OP should think that.
This was written before the "official" slotTool new-browserhax guide came out. I would not have written this guide if the "official" one had already been written.

D

Deleted User

OP
As far as I can see this it should technically work, yes. Could not verify the new method on my test machine (always got stuck on red screen on trying to start slotTool – but this particular console is far from representative) and ended up without CFW.
This can be caused by a bad download. Try deleting all of the files you downloaded from your SD Card and then re-download them.

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was written before the "official" slotTool new-browserhax guide came out. I would not have written this guide if the "official" one had already been written.
Why didn't you try to reach out to them and work together instead of trying to do things for clout though?

Last edited by NightScript,
D

Deleted User

OP
Why didn't you try to reach out to them and work together instead of trying to do things for clout though?
I did look at the github site, but a request for slotTool and new-browserhax was already there, so I made this guide.

lilyuwuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Edit: main comment was removed, will keep this part here?

There might not be any major issues that would render the guide unusable or cause any severe issues with the console, but people have already pointed out possible minor/medium issues, such as:

- GM9Megascript is replaced with whatever scripts you have, in the interest of "bloat" I guess? The issue is that there are other useful things in the megascript that people might want to do, and your script seems to have uninstalling CFW front and center, something that should never be encouraged.

- You seem to copy native firm to the payloads folder. While that might be good on your own setup, on the setup of a random person it is potentially dangerous should they ever launch it and update the console. People shouldn't be able to easily boot stock unless they have an explicit need, in the interest of preventing bricks.

- The page doesn't account for people being unable to make a nand backup due to lack of space (cough cough, 2gb sd cards).

- The NAND backup will only ever have one name, with no date or serial number to identify it. This isn't the Decrypt9 days of NANDmin.bin anymore; you should take advantage of the fact that it's easy to distinguish NAND backups these days.

- DSP isn't dumped, so homebrew sound won't work.

- You say to set the HB title to any app... why? The standard is download play because it's known to work; there can be issues when people use health and safety for whatever reason. There also isn't any need to save the configuration since you're immediately changing it to hblauncher_loader anyway, unless you're setting the takeover title to system settings (and why would anyone ever do that).

- RTC offset isn't set to 0 through Rosalina NTP sync or ctr no timeoffset.

I get that you worked hard on this guide. It sucks to have hard work "criticized" by everyone. But when you're pushing your own guide because you want others to use it "because it works", it reflects poorly on your character.

Last edited by lilyuwuu,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow.

The above poster (Lily) is a long time local of the Nintendo Homebrew discord who helps out those in need. I believe she along with a few others are rotating moderators of that channel.

You know it's bad when someone from a different 3DS community, who knows her chops, decides to make an account here for the sole purpose to critique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P +1