Easy Way to Extract ROMFS Folder from .3DS and .CIA Files?!

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by FlappyFalco, Apr 3, 2016.

1. FlappyFalco
    OP

FlappyFalco Smile, No Matter How Bad it Gets~

Oct 11, 2015
    Ireland
    The deepest recesses of my mind
    So I've been trying to extract the contents of a 3DS Rom, but I find the only surefire way to do it is to install it as a CIA with FBI and then use Braindump. However, would there be a less time consuming way of doing this I've tried using 3DS Explorer, but I keep getting three different NCCH files, none of which @Asia81 's Hackingtoolkit (which I believe just works through CRTool) can extract a ROMFS folder from. I tried converting it to a CIA and trying 3DS Explorer, but I just get "Error: Error Opening Ticket". I try decrypting it with Decrypt9, same thing.

EDIT: I tried using ROMFS Extractor on the DecryptedRomFS.bin I get from Hackingtoolkit, but it just crashes.

So, am I doing anything wrong here, or is there another way?

Last edited by FlappyFalco, Apr 3, 2016
  2. Thelostrune

Thelostrune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 13, 2015
    Norway
    Braindump, get the romfs.bin and use the RomFS Extractor in the "Pack Hack".

FlappyFalco likes this.
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    ctrtool can extract the romfs partition from any .cia and .3ds ROM, and if it's decrypted, it can unpack the files. You need to use another tool for the actual decryption. 3DSExplorer has a bug that makes it extract the romfs incorrectly, which was fixed in a specific version, but you have to make sure you get the right version, which is made harder by multiple forks floating around with different features.

FlappyFalco likes this.