easy flashcart suggestions ?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by okielokie, Apr 4, 2008.

Apr 4, 2008

easy flashcart suggestions ? by okielokie at 8:27 AM (1,241 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. okielokie
    OP

Newcomer okielokie Member

United States
    okay so, my nephew got a nintendo ds and id like to get him a slot 1 flashcart for his bday. he's turning 9. i want to get him something not to complicated. like a simple UI or GUI interface whatever it's called im not familiar with it. just want something easy for him to use. i was thinking of getting him a supercard dsone but it might be a little complicated for him. he has dyslexia. so he might get confused with all those words like in the system setup stuff.

any suggestions ?

oh yeah. are there certain kind of micro SD's that work with certain carts like super ds one. cylco ds...etc...
    what 's the difference ? >>> i see polls that are saying stuff like JAPAN made micro sd. arent they the same ?
    was thinking of getting a 4gb sdhc micro sd card off ebay. item number "150233057632" i cant post it here for some reason to show. is it worth it ? im scared it might not work

2. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    Go with the DSTT, it goes straight to the games with no confusing menus.

3. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Buy a microSD card from somewhere like Amazon ... you will get a legit product then.

4. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    Get a DSTT which is probably very nice and cheap these days
    Also if u plan not to keep to many games at once... 4gb is not necessary eg.) 1gb can get an average of around 16-20 games and so on so for 4 gb it would mean around 60+ games which maybe u might consider (ofcourse this is just a suggestion)
    And about the microSD or microSDHC (4gb and over cards), and KINGSTON made in JAPAN is the best as it's the fastest also SANDISK cards are good too (2nd best to be accurate)
    Don't worry, a 4 gb SDHC card will work with the DSTT (but not with R4 if u were suggested to buy it)
    Ebay if i am not mistaken, check out the guys reputation and decide based on that but u could get it at the following places if u are living in Australia
    www.ozmodchips.com and www.bamboogaming.com
    ALSO a worldwide shipping company ie.) Dealextreme.com is another good choice

OFCOURSE let's not forget that the sites mention on the GBATEMP PORTAL are excellent too as i have checked them out and are totally reliable

EDIT: just checked ozmodchips and it seems that they don't own DSTT so go for bamboogaming if u are an aussie

5. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    There are some problems with DSTT not being recognized, having to use shims, etc. Also rom sorting is f'ed up on the DSTT. I say CycloDS EVO. Very few ways to mess it up. Simple windows-esque icons, very self-explanatory. If you're in the states I'd recommend RealHotStuff.com. They're fast and reliable. As far as memory cards go, I suggest A-Data 4GB class6. In my tests its faster than 4GB/2GB MiJ Kingstons and on par with 1GB/512MB MiJ Kingstons. I would say get the memory card from newegg.com. Flashcart retailers have notoriously over-inflated prices on memory cards.

6. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Go with DSTT. CycloDS it's just too overpriced [​IMG]

Also a 1gb card is a good idea. You can put 8-20 games, and it's pretty good for almost everyone [​IMG]

Be aware of eBay, there're a lot of scammers on there. Buy the memory card from the same place you get the flashcard, it's more safe [​IMG]

7. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would probably look into the Acekard 2. It seems that the DSTT has some problems after extended use. I cannot confirm as I do not have one.

The acekard 2 seems pretty easy to use, once again I cannot confirm. All I have is an R4.

It even accepts SDHC. So you can get the acekard 2 and a 4GB card if you like.

I would suggest getting the acekard either from realhotstuff.com for about $45 USD shipped or dealextreme.com for $32 USD shipped.
    Get the A-data 4GB class 6 from newegg.com for about $24 USD shipped.
    You can also get a 1GB or 2GB if you dont need as many games. You could get either of those from meritline.com or dealextreme.com for relatively cheap.

8. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Buy a DSTT from leetmod.com if you're in the U.S. Send them an e-mail and ask them to test it for you (I believe they do anyway). They respond to their e-mail within a day. Buy this one with a 2GB Kingston Japanese microSD. Their website shows exactly how many are in stock so you won't be stuck waiting for them to get more in stock after you order. Their free shipping took 2 days to the U.S. when I ordered from them (I ordered in the morning, they had sent out the order by afternoon, and the order arrived the day after the next day).

-Bri

9. okielokie
    OP

Newcomer okielokie Member

United States
    thanks for replies. all are useful. and based on this i think im going to get a dstt for him. but ive heard around that the dstt is bad quality. like it can break easily. is that right ?

plus RealHotStuff.com isnt that the same as GameYeeeah.com ? like the same company or whatever, im just judging this on that the sites look the same.

plus im trying to get a 4gb card not just for roms but for music too.

10. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Huh. No votes for the N-card series - they have the simplest menus. Maybe becuase no one has them.

11. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    Sandisk memory, at least SD memory is shit, go for Adata Kingston or Toshiba.
    As for a flash card, don't get the Acekard2 for a dyslexic kid, try something simple like the R4 (yeah, I know it's outdated, but the kid is 8), Cyclo, N-Card and clones (they are so simple to use).

12. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    As far as I know, RealHotStuff.com and GameYeeeah.com are two different stores.

@Jaejae: R4 doesn't support microSDHC so larger flash cards wouldn't work with it.

-Bri