Easiest way to enable playing backups??

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by xraven13, Feb 1, 2010.

Feb 1, 2010
  1. xraven13
    OP

Member xraven13 GBAtemp Regular

Croatia
    Hi everyone..
    Few years passed since i owned xbox 360 and i am thinking of buying it again...
    Though, i don't have much money now so i plan to hack it myself... I wanted to ask is it "hard" to do it as before - do i still need to open my xbox 360 and lose the varanty (which is biggest problem) or there is easier way, something similar to Wii hack with USB or SD card??

Thanks in advance!

2. Frozen_Fish

Member Frozen_Fish GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    In regards to the warranty sticker, you can use a hairdryer to melt the adhesive on the back of the sticker and use a scalpel to gently peel it off without ripping it, you can then store it on a piece of wax paper for when it's needed.

Once that is done you can modify your console with the following methods:

1. Flash the DVD Drive with a modified firmware, which assuming you don't have a LiteOn 74850c, 83850C v2 or 93450c can be done with just a SATA port in your computer. If you have the 74850c a probe is required and for the others some soldering is required. This is definitely the easier modification.

2. Perform the J-Tag hack, which requires bridging 3 points on the mother board and having a way to read/write to the NAND (i.e. a modified printer cable), the advantage of this is it allows you to run homebrew applications, emulators and allows playing games from an external HD. But it requires you to have not updated your xbox past a kernel version of 7371 as the exploit is patched in all 8xxxx kernels. (There are other methods of performing this such as the xd card hack or using a Cygnos 360 v2 but still require a kernel of 7371 or lower) More info here: http://www.free60.org/JTAG_Hack

Obviously these both require opening your Xbox but currently they are the only methods available.

Someone correct me if I've missed anything out [​IMG]

3. xraven13
    OP

Croatia
    Ok, thanks for explanation.
    BTW does both hacks enable playing of backup XBLA games? And which one is more "stealthy" on xbox live since i plan to play online this time as well?

4. Frozen_Fish

Member Frozen_Fish GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Only the J-Tag hack will allow playing backup XBLA titles but will definitely get you banned if you go on LIVE. Flashing the DVD drive with the iXtreme 1.6 or lower is also likely to get you banned, if it is flashed with the new iXtreme LT firmware apparently you are safe online (as of the latest update) assuming you stealth your backups correctly, flashing the DVD drive will only allow playing backed up game discs and will offer none of the homebrew capabillities such as backup XBLA games, HDD loading etc offered by the J-tag hack.

5. xraven13
    OP

Croatia
    So i need to choose between free XBLA games and playing on Xbox Live ^^.. Thanks for help!