Hacking Easiest Way To Clone An SD Card?

MoistCake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What is the fastest, easiest method to clone my SD card?

I want to upgrade from my small card to a larger card, however my small card contains my emunand & all my installed CIA files, themes, & other such things.

Since the emunand is hidden, is there a program where I can plug my old, small SD card in & my new larger SD card in & press a button & it will copy everything, including my emunand, over to the new card?

So that I can then pop my new card into my console & it will work exactly like the old small card.

--

As a side note, is there any issues with using a 128GB SD card (directly in the console) & a 128GB microSD card (for gateway)
Yes I know it seems like overkill & insane, but I want to collect all the games & have them forever.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Any partition manager that works on the sector level should do the job (unless they ignore the emuNAND partition since it's seen as unused space)
Win32DiskImager is a dead simple way to do it that works but you'll need to do it in two steps, backup the old card to a file and then write that file to the new card.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

MoistCake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Win32DiskImager is by far the easiest way and it's free
Well I tried it, & things did not go well.
After searching further I found that you also need to use a program called "EaseUS Partition Master"

According to this post
2dc42f0b9b.png

However, so far, no luck.
Apparently its just one of those things thats tedious & hard to do, it is not a 1-click thing.

Which is a shame.
It seems like any time you want to do anything with your 3DS, what seems like a simple task is actually a 51 step guide & the guide is written by people who assume you're already familiar with all the various abbreviations & technical details.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
After searching further I found that you also need to use a program called "EaseUS Partition Master"

According to this post
2dc42f0b9b.png

Apparently its just one of those things thats tedious & hard to do, it is not a 1-click thing.

Which is a shame.
It seems like any time you want to do anything with your 3DS, what seems like a simple task is actually a 51 step guide & the guide is written by people who assume you're already familiar with all the various abbreviations & technical details.
I've used Win32diskimager and it's worked fine, what problems do you run into with it?

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

According to this post
2dc42f0b9b.png

Which is a shame.
Have you already tried the guide I linked earlier in this thread? I recommend checking it out: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-transfer-emunand-to-another-sd-card-working-on-new3ds.383684/

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

According to this post
2dc42f0b9b.png

Which is a shame.
this is actually pretty straightfoward...

this barelly requires some knowledge with partitions..
the emunand is a copy of the real nand..
if you connected your 3ds nand or any not usual memory to a reader, windows or other OS will not recognise it becuase it's neither a fat32 partition neither ntfs etc...
so since EMUNAND just like the nand is not a standarn partiton your OS will not display it as it would normally do...
therefore you will have to create a clone of the entire partition and move it to another card...
as for the second partition fat32 where you put your homebrew and other stuff, you can just copy paste it...
but for make things easier and simpler, in that guide you move the entire contents of the sd card to another and then fix the second partition on the new card...

isn't that hard and that complicated.. if you have questions about abbreviations ask away.
all you have to do is press 1 buton to copy, change card, a second button to restore, and then resize the fat32 partition (because a partition has a fixed size for example 16GB, and you want to make it bigger so you can use it..
just tell us what the problem is...

koffieleut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I also used win32diskimager to clone a 4gb to a 16gb. If you clone the image to a 16gb your card will say it's 4gb. Then use easeus to enlarge your partition to 16gb. But be aware that you lose 16mb :D

MoistCake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I also used win32diskimager to clone a 4gb to a 16gb. If you clone the image to a 16gb your card will say it's 4gb. Then use easeus to enlarge your partition to 16gb. But be aware that you lose 16mb :D

Im using this microSD card (along with the free included SD adapter)
http://www.amazon.com//dp/B010Q57S62/

I used Win32DiskImager & EaseUS
However, no Emunand is detected by Gateway & all my installed CIA files don't appear on my 3DS XL.
Tried FAT32 & exFat too.

Last edited by MoistCake,

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why has no one thought of the simpler solution?

1. Create a fresh EmuNAND on the new card
2. Make a backup of old EmuNAND with Decrypt9/EmuNAND9
3. Inject backup into EmuNAND partition of new card
4. Copy contents of old SD card to new.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why has no one thought of the simpler solution?

1. Create a fresh EmuNAND on the new card
2. Make a backup of old EmuNAND with Decrypt9/EmuNAND9
3. Inject backup into EmuNAND partition of new card
4. Copy contents of old SD card to new.

This.
Make Emunand backup with Emunand9, switch out card, Create new Emunand on new card, copy old emunand backup to new card, restore emunand backup to new card, copy all files from old card to new card. done.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country

According to this post
2dc42f0b9b.png

Which is a shame.

It's most definitely a one-click thing. It's so simple it's not even worth writing a guide for. you put in your card and click 'read' after selecting where to save the image of the SD card, what's going wrong for you? You need to run the program as an administrator account btw.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh i see the problem. You're using a different card size. You didn't mention that in your original post.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Copy your entire SD card onto your computer, then use emuNAND Tool to back up your emuNAND.
From there back another emuNAND on your new SD using whatever method you used before to make one.
Then use emuNAND tool to re-inject your old emuNAND to your new card and copy your SD content back onto your SD card.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't people just
Backup the SD card contents to the PC
Run emuNAND Tool to backup your Emunand
Load EmuNAND9
Unmount your old SD card in the 3DS (hit select)
mount the new SD card with the needed files for EmuNAND9 to run and select format for Emunand
Then just drag your SD backup over to the new card and reinject your Emunand backup with emuNAND Tool

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why don't people just
Backup the SD card contents to the PC
Run emuNAND Tool to backup your Emunand
Load EmuNAND9
Unmount your old SD card in the 3DS (hit select)
mount the new SD card with the needed files for EmuNAND9 to run and select format for Emunand
Then just drag your SD backup over to the new card and reinject your Emunand backup with emuNAND Tool
Described three times already here

eza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Boot a Linux live CD.
Use the dd command.
Eg: dd if=/dev/mmc1 of=/path/to/backup
Then swap SD cards and run the command again but swap if and of to copy the other direction (they stand for input file and output file).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night