Easiest to Hardest Mario Platformers

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 12,793
  • Replies 25
D

Deleted User

OP
I 100% completed NSMB and 3D Land (I also played Super Mario Galaxy 2, but I hated it. So I think that 3D Mario isn't for me (with the exception of 3D Land. That's a mix of 2D and 3D)) and I wanted to know what are the easiest to hardest Mario platformers. I tried Super Mario Bros, and I keep dying at world 7. I would like to know what's next after these two games. As from what I played:

1) New Super Mario Bros.
2) Super Mario 3D Land
3) Super Mario Galaxy 2
4) Super Mario Bros.
5) Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My list:

Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Bros. 3
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario World
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels)

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a serious mario addict so I can't really answer in terms of easy or hard since I've played these games WAY too much to the point where they have all gotten easy to me (not trying to brag, if anyone wasted the thousands upon thousands of hours that I did playing mario games they would have the same story), but in my opinion the hardest one to master for me was Super Mario World for the super NES and the easiest would have to be either Galaxy (the first one, second one was a bit difficult) or NSMB for ds

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
New super mario bros wii
Mario galaxy 2
Super mario bros 3
Mario 64
New super mario bros DS
Mario galaxy
Super mario bros 2
super mario bros
Super mario bros: the lost levels
Super mario world

(I never played sunshine or 3D land)

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't played all of them but for what I have its

NSMBWII(TOO DAMN EASY took me an hour and a half to beat it with my bro)
NSMB(One of the easiest ones I have ever beaten, still fun though)
3D Land(Kinda short, still had its hard parts)
Galaxy (Too many gimmicks like pullstar for me but it was good and the gravity mechanics were fun)
Sunshine (only hard parts were the pure platforming levels and one chapter were there's fire paint all over the place)
64(Awesome, if the controls were a bit smoother it would have been one of the best)
Land (:D)
Land 2 (:D)
World (My favorite, made up the basis of so many mario games after it)
Advanced (or bros 2)
Bros (Mostly because everything on the NES was hard)
All-Stars (JP MARIO BROS TWO HAD TO BE THE MOST DIFFICULT THING I EVER PLAYED.)

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
My list:

Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario Sunshine

super mario sunshine is not hard, it's very easy.

my list:

super mario 3D land (extra lives are handed to you on a silver platter without you even trying.)
New Super Mario Bros (same as above)
Super Mario Bros (You vs. Boo levels on the gameboy colour version was much harder though)
Super Mario World
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super mario Land (gameboy)
Super mario land 2 six golden coins (gameboy)
Super Mario 64 (the controls for me were quite bad and i could never get the hand of using the analog stick to control mario, i only recently completed it on the DS remake, i think the reason being is because i am used to playing 2d mario games more than the 3d ones.)
Super mario bros 2 - nes (i never really like smb 2 and never completed it until recently with save states)
Super Mario Bros. 3 - nes (it's quite hard compared to previous mario games, i never completed it as a kid until recently with save states.)

don't even get me started on the wario games, those games are TOUGH, but i love em :)

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
From what I've played:

NSMB DS
Galaxy
Sunshine
Bros 3
Galaxy 2
NSMB Wii
64 (DS)
World
Bros 1
Bros 2 Lost Levels

64's controls were IMO atrocious (on DS as well) and made for most of the difficulty.I have yet to play 3D Land, but it seems great from videos and about on the same difficulty level as Galaxy 1.

Oh, and whoever thought of the blue coins in Sunshine should be roasted on open fire. Just saying.

D

Deleted User

OP
I guess it just depends on the player. I've always thought that Galaxy 2/Super Mario Bros. was the hardest thing I've ever played. (Until Contra came along)

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Japanese Mario 2 is without any question the hardest official Mario game. I always thought Mario 3 was a tough bastard, playing all the Nintendo originals without saves is much more of a challenge. Mario Pinball looks like a pain in the ass.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm... SMB the lost levels was the hardest shit I ever played.
SMW was special in the case. Some were easy, others were not. (I'm looking at you, Tubular)
Super Mario Galaxy 2... some were ez, others were absolutely brutal.
The 'new' series are absolutely ez.
So ez in fact, that my favorite title of them is the unofficial hack 'NSMB3'.
Now THAT SHIT IS HARD AND AWESOME.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not sure why, but i disagree with alot of the lists here, excluding Lost Levels. Hard as fuck (trailer park boys anyone?)
I find the 3D ones much harder than the 2D ones. 64 take some serious patience and dealing with brand new 3 dimensional controls.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Im not sure why, but i disagree with alot of the lists here, excluding Lost Levels. Hard as fuck (trailer park boys anyone?)
I find the 3D ones much harder than the 2D ones. 64 take some serious patience and dealing with brand new 3 dimensional controls.

Patience doesnt mean harder, i think thats why alot of people thought mario 64 was alot harder than it was, With the obvious exception of rainbow ride. (which is quite possibly my most hated level in mario ever) I will however admit that the controls on mario 64 are awful but enemy placement is easy to avoid and most of the platforming just takes a little patience and planning, you arnt rushed as much as you are on alot of the 2D marios, plus some enemies on sidescrolling marios are just there to drive you mad (the sun, lakitu, hammer bros)

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Allrighty lets see my list would have to be
Super mario 3D land
Nsmb
Super mario sunshine
Super mario galaxy 2
Super mario 64
Super mario galaxy
super mario bros 2 (not lost levels, the game with wart)
super mario land
Super mario bros
Super mario world
Super mario bros the lost levels
Super mario bros deluxe (large reason why i put this. First is that there is way less screen to view on a gameboy then on a tv screen, and you cant see that far ahead of you. Couple that with the fact that you can collect much more in this game and the fact that you can play the lost levels on here, still with a tiny screen? Makes it horrifyingly difficult)

Well theres my list. I hadnt seen deluxe on anyone elses list so i thought id throw it out there. Ironically it was my very ffirst mario game as a child on my pikachu gameboy color :D

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the lists so far are not including Super Mario World and Super Mario World 2 : Yoshi's Island, both from SNES. I have never gotten into SMW, but Yoshi's Island is my favorite Super Mario platformer of all time and let me tell you, in the upper levels that game is a difficult mofo. I've beaten it once on an actual SNES, once using an emu (no save states), and twice on GBA ... never with 100% on all levels though.

With the console 3D Mario games (64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1/2), difficulty really depends on whether you're talking about just "beating the game" or 100%'ing it. (And, whether an FAQ is used of course.) Finding all the blue coins in Sunshine is an incredibly difficult and time-consuming task if you don't use a guide.

Reactions: 1 person

pokechar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think that Mario Galaxy 2 is not that easy if you want to complete it. My list:

1. New Super Mario Bros.
2. Super Mario World
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
5. Super Mario Bros. 3
6. Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
7. Super Mario 64
8. Super Mario Galaxy 2
9. Super Mario Bros.
10. Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels

I haven't played 3D Land nor Sunshine, by the way.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put world in my list above, but not world 2. Ive never actually played world 2 because the yoshis island games never really appealed to me.

You should try it out then, they usually an pretty innovative (in fact, I think yoshis island was built on the same engine/source of world) and pretty fun while also being challenging.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16