easiest flash card to use?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by vanzan, Sep 1, 2006.

Sep 1, 2006

easiest flash card to use? by vanzan at 10:57 AM (1,440 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. vanzan
    OP

Newcomer vanzan Member

Ireland
    Hi there,

Which is the easiest flash card to use for the GBA SP? I was thinking of getting one and I'm worried about the connection methods with some of them.

I don't have a computer of my own anymore and the ones I do use (university, internet cafe etc) I don't have admin privileges on them....

I'm worried that if I get a card I won't be able to use it without being able to install drivers etc....

Not having a card I don't know what I'll need to do to use it.....please help....thanks

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Tricky. Most flashcards require patcher programs to patch ROMs before transferring them to the flashcard. And without admin privileges you can't install a program to the computers.

I suggest an "adaptor" type flashcard (M3, Supercard), which uses SD cards. You can keep the patching software on the card. You would need a USB card reader (around $5). Windows 2000 and XP don't need drivers for those. Just plug it in, download the ROM, run the patcher from the SD card, patch it, and transfer it to the SD card. And you're set.

3. 5uck3rpunch

Member 5uck3rpunch Surf Monster!

United States
    I'd also suggest SuperCard SD.

4. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    If it's for a GBASP then I WOULDN'T recommend a Supercard; GBA compatibility isn't all that.
    Get an M3, but make sure it's one with the GBA left support in. =)

5. ejx982

Newcomer ejx982 Member

Find someone with the M3 software installed on their PC. Have them zip it up, and send it to you. Then burn it to a CD and see if it works running from CD. Alot of software works this way, as some software doesn't need registry keys. If the software loads on the PC, then reburn the software w/ all your favorite ROMs on it too and you are good to go!

ejx982

6. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    EFA linker's software client is as simple as possible, and the flashcart works extremely well. If its just for GBA, EFA all the way. Jandaman's got 'em.

7. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    But he needs something he can use at an Internet caffee, and that means nothing that would require installation or specific non-generic drivers. If Windows XP can read from an EFA, and run the loader software from there, cool. But if it needs drivers, or can't read from the EFA without having the software installed, vanzan can't use it.

8. vanzan
    OP

Newcomer vanzan Member

Ireland
    thanks for all the advice guys [​IMG] I was just wondering with installing either the patcher program or the drivers does the computer have to be restarted?

I could install stuff in a certain internet cafe but if the computer needed to be restarted then I am screwed.....thanks again

9. KirbyPink

Member KirbyPink GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    If it´s for gba only get a ez-flash II. It haven´t failed me at all [​IMG]

10. kingeightsix

Member kingeightsix GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    i'm using a g6 and it pretty much works as a usb flash drive... you can just drag n drop files into it so you don't need to install any managers to upload the games... hope this helps

11. cherrypie

Newcomer cherrypie Member

Australia
    Probably EZ-Flash4 and M3 Mini-SD are the best choices for gba atm. Both have excellent gba compatibility, they take a mini-sd card so you can have a lot of storage and no drivers needed.

I personally use an EZ-Flash4 on my GBA SP, In your situation I would just leave the EZ4Client software on the Mini-SD card then wherever I was I could just run that off the card (via a usb card reader) and install whatever I needed.

Plus with a 1GB Mini-SD card that would hold roughly 60 x 128mbit gba games, so you'd have plenty to keep you busy for a long time.

Something like this combo would work out good value.
    EZ-Flash 4 + 1024MB Mini SD Card @ Bamboo Gaming

12. aletorchic

Member aletorchic Advanced Member

Italy
    May be I'm really late, but I noticed the thread revived in recent days..

I'm still using a Game Wallet that I bought years ago together with a Flash2Advance card
    YOU DON'T NEED A PC AVAILABLE to change ROMs on cart, and copying ROMs to CF doesn't require any SW installed on the PC with admin privileges

The GameWallet works great also with an old (Visoly) FlashAdvance PRo, that's also ways faster