Earthworm Jim remake for WiiWare, PSN, Xbox Live, and mobile

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, Aug 17, 2009.

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I'm going to take assumption and say that this must be the developers FINALLY releasing the Earthworm Jim remake that was intended for the PSP years ago. Gameloft announced today that the "original" Earthworm Jim would be coming to WiiWare, PSN, mobile, and Xbox Live Arcade (with an exclusive one month release on Live). The announcement does not say anything about the actual new game or give any screens, but Earthworm Jim has already been released on Wii VC, so I assume it is indeed a remake of the original game. We'll see what they do to it. I'd still have to guess this is a continuation of the PSP remake that was canceled years ago.

Press report-

NEW YORK, August 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Gameloft, a leading developer and publisher of downloadable video games, today announced a multi-year licensing agreement with Interplay to develop, distribute and publish Earthworm Jim, a popular run and gun platform video game featuring an earthworm who dresses up in a Super Suit to fight evil. The game will make its way to mobile, WiiWare?, PlayStation Network, with an exclusive one month run on Xbox LiveƂ Arcade.

"We are delighted to partner with Interplay to bring Earthworm Jim to multiple downloadable platforms," said Gonzague de Vallois, senior vice president, Gameloft. "The game, with its humorous and edgy style, is a great fit for today's gamer who craves a fully immersive experience that is fun and easily accessible. We look forward to delivering a fantastic game."

"Earthworm Jim resonates with millions of people worldwide and we are excited to have one of the best developers in the industry create this game for a new audience," said Herve Caen, CEO, Interplay. "Gameloft's creativity coupled with its innate knack for innovative games, makes us 100% confident that the result will be nothing short of stellar."

Initially released in 1994, Earthworm Jim's games garnered such a cult following that the character's popularity took him far beyond video games into an animated TV series, Toys and Comic books. Earthworm Jim centers around an ordinary earthworm who engages in normal worm activities- eating dirt, crawling and fleeing from hungry birds- that is until he comes across a high tech indestructible space suit. Jim takes refuge in the space suit while fleeing from hungry birds. The suit's powerful atomic particles cause him to grow and obtain newfound powers.

The game will be available in the last quarter of 2009. For the latest information on the game, follow Gameloft on our Twitter feed: http://www.twitter.com/Gameloft

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=93353

And here's a video from the PSP game. Note- The article above makes no mention of the PSP game. There is a possibility that this is a completely different game than the remake announced here. So note this while watching and take with a grain of salt.

2. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Earthworm Jim was a fun game back then, hopefully if it's a new game please bring back the Barn Blaster. However I didn't care for those 60's and joke lines he always said in the cartoon. I think there will be different games for each platform, maybe a new one for Wiiware and the Genesis version for XBL Arcade and PSN. Not sure about Mobile wonder why they would invest in it here in the US, the market is low.

3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    ...3D?

Oh man, why everything has to be 3D nowadays [​IMG]

2D can be just as fun, if not even more! Why won't developers understand this [​IMG]
    They could've just remade it in High-res 2D... :/

4. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Raulpica- did you even read the thing I wrote? I clearly said that there was NO indication that points to the game being the PSP video I posted. It could very well be in 2D. No details were made in the press report besides them saying they were "bringing EWJ to *insert system*". It doesn't even say if it's a remake. Had EWJ not already been made on Wii VC, i'd think this would just be a simple port.

5. DrCaptainHarlock

Member DrCaptainHarlock Hustle bones comin' out my mouth

Japan
    ....IT'S 2.5D. SAME GAMEPLAY, BUT WITH 3D GRAPHICS. God people like you annoy me.

6. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Earthworm Jim was a great game. But I preferred the first one over the sequel as it had more normal 2D sidescrolling levels... Don't get me wrong, the second one was fantastic (especially the salamander part), but it had too many different gameplay types throughout the levels.

Would love to see a 2.5D remake though, if done properly it could be great. They should combine the two games together.

7. raulpica

Italy
    I hate polygons. Got something wrong with that? God, people like you who judges everyone for everything sure annoy me.

8. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    There was also no clear indication that it was going to be more than a port of the original. Considering they use the word "develop" in the press release, it's probable, but even IGN commented that it wasn't confirmed to be a full remake.

9. vergilite

Member vergilite GBATemps Regular Clown

United Kingdom
    awesome i loved this game and i think the remake will be CULE [​IMG]

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    In my experience these are some of the few games that will turn the head of people who would otherwise dismiss "typical" 8 or 16 bit era games.

On the other hand I am torn between one who can work an emulator and one who wants to see such things more often.

I suppose in conclusion it will have to be swear words towards those who brought it up as it now means I will have to track down the cartoon (my heart is still broken by the Big Breakfast where every day without fail people would vote for Johnny Bravo instead of Earthworm Jim).

11. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I work with polygons everyday. So I've got a problem with you.

Do you enjoy movies? Movies like Transformers? Movies like Benjamin Button? Do you realize that polygons are used in a good amount of movies these days? Not just the completely 3D ones? Do you not realize that nearly every video game that is released these days (well, since the mid 90's actually) uses polygons? Even the popular cartoon South Park is made up of polygons (They use Maya). My point is that polygons are EVERYWHERE. Either get used to it or gtfo of this planet. People like you who are dead set against anything that has anything to do with the advancement of technology really piss me off.

12. raulpica

Italy
    Oh man. I'm not really against polygons. I play 3D games every day and enjoy them. I see movies at the cinema and I'm amazed by the CG effects we see nowadays, so I appreciate your work, don't worry.
    I was just giving a sarcastic response to a flamebait. I'll try to not forget the [sarcasm] tag anymore, I do not like to get flamed.

And let's not forget that DOS was so much better than Windows! [/sarcasm]

13. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Earthworm Jim is probably the worst fucking game EVER.

The controls are sloppy, the characters aren't memorable, and the weapon system is terrible.

Flame me bro.

14. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Oh please! *golf clap for your working with polygons every day*

The dude was merely saying he doesn't need 3D in every game to enjoy it. He likes 2D -- polygons or no. No one here has a problem, or likely cares, about your seemingly unnatural affection for polygons, but your call to arms is completely out of bounds. Simma don-na. [​IMG]

15. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    i mostly knew about it on the snes console (emulator actually) and i pretty much like it so many will do so too just tht it wasnt tht famous