Earthbound Coming To NA/EU Virtual Console 2013

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got it on CATSFC but once I get a Wii U (waiting for Star Fox/Metroid Prime/Smash/Anything) I'm definitely buying this to show some love for the series.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kk hun, w/e u say.

Says the man who thinks an easily attainable 25 year old game will influence someone's decision to purchase a console. Wanting it to be so won't make it so.

...Or are you saying that the Wii U is in such dire straights that it has to rely on the SNES' back catalog?

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
I never understood the hype for Earthbound. It's an 18 year old game, one that so many people have already played, whether it was a legitimate copy, or pirated. It's really not that special IMO...Maybe that's because I've never played it, or because I'm not really a fan of RPGs to begin with. Regardless, it's definitely overhyped, and the fans are some of the worst I've ever seen of any game (It's always RPGs that have the crazily obsessed fans...Remember Operation Rainfall?).

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Says the man who thinks an easily attainable 25 year old game will influence someone's decision to purchase a console. Wanting it to be so won't make it so.

...Or are you saying that the Wii U is in such dire straights that it has to rely on the SNES' back catalog?
kk hun, w/e u say

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Related?

010312171246_jokes_on_them_it_was_merely_an_act.jpg

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never understood the hype for Earthbound. It's an 18 year old game, one that so many people have already played, whether it was a legitimate copy, or pirated. It's really not that special IMO...Maybe that's because I've never played it, or because I'm not really a fan of RPGs to begin with. Regardless, it's definitely overhyped, and the fans are some of the worst I've ever seen of any game (It's always RPGs that have the crazily obsessed fans...Remember Operation Rainfall?).

You clearly don't know what a rabid Final Fantasy VII or World of Warcrack fan is do you? If you want overrated and rabid fans, look at COD, Halo and Final Fantasy VII. At least show us an example instead of making remarks without backing yourself up.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
To add some balance: I tried Earthbound. I didn't like it.

Now, to add some intelligence: how many of you bought a Wii for a single eshop title? I mean, really? Did you buy a 3DS just for the eshop as well? If so, you may want to prioritize how you choose to spend large quantities of money on pieces of gaming hardware. It's undeniable that this is an easily attainable game, and saying something like "I'm buying a Wii U just for this" is incredibly stupid. There's no other way to see it. It isn't as if this is a glorious HD remake or something. This is the exact same game you could download off of ten sites I could name off the top of my head. This is just a ROM being sold to you for whatever amount of cash. It will feel about as authentic as playing it on your PC.

If you're a fan, that's cool. Be reasonable at least, though. If you're going to spend $300 for a digital copy of an SNES game, you might as well hit ebay and buy an SNES and the game. For about $300, you'll certainly be able to get your hands on both, which I figure would be far more worthwhile if you're that big of fans. Otherwise, don't attack the people who are actually being smart about the fact that this is no different than any other eshop release of a game on a console ever.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So will Earthbound fanatics finally shut up about it? Can I stop hearing about it for a few days, the whole "Oh why won't dum nintendo bring it stateside hurr?"?

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
So will Earthbound fanatics finally shut up about it? Can I stop hearing about it for a few days, the whole "Oh why won't dum nintendo bring it stateside hurr?"?
No. They're going to cry for Mother 3 to be translated and released outside of Japan as well.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey... at least the people asking or Earthbound are nicer and way less annoying than the "FF7! MOAR FF7! I NEED TO STROKE OFF TO TIFFA TITS! MAOR FF7! NOW YOU DUMB SQUARETARDS! MOAR FF7!"

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Because people will spend $300+ on a new console for a 25 year old game that's stupidly easy to find ROMs for, right?

Nintendo might as well let as many people enjoy it as possible. It's not going to change sales one way or the other, so there's no harm in it.
I agree with you, but to play devil's advocate...

Some people don't emulate. Even people like myself, who used to emulate. Earthbound on SNES will run you a good $250 or more online (I haven't checked the price recently, so I might be off a bit). Meanwhile, for just $50 more, I can get a new generation nintendo console that will have that game as a VC title with upgraded resolution and off TV play, probably for no more than $8. Additionally, I get access to new games and, even though the Wii U library is scant right now, it'll fill up with Nintendo first party titles eventually, at least.

From that perspective, I think it's actually rather feasible that someone would rather buy a Wii U to get a game for $8 that has more convenient features and have access to an entire new system's library which will get support for the next 6+ years, rather than spend $250+ for just a used copy of the original game. Unless you seriously value collecting original carts (like me), of course.

Reactions: earlynovfan

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The issue wasn't JPN-centric in the first place though.

Which is why Smash Bros has always included at least one (2 with Brawl) main characters from the games as playable combatants, and in the second and third games has at least two stages each from the game series, with statues of characters in both games, and the third game even having assist trophies and stickers with Mother characters.

Wait...
So you're saying Earthbound hasn't earned tremendous critical acclaim? Hmm.

Guys, I'm being a dick! You've seen me act like this dozens of times.

Plus Shin Megami Tensei>>>Earthbound/Mother.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey let's make fun of other fanbases because that makes the Earthbound one seem less rabid, right?

That's like saying Mussolini wasn't a bad guy because he wasn't Hitler. Doesn't change the fact that he was still a shitbag.

Also implying that the Earthbound fanbase isn't as rabid as any other fanbase in existence.

EDIT: In general if your point lies on "Others are worse than us" then your point is fucking terrible.

Reactions: Izzy011 and Gahars

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with you, but to play devil's advocate...

Some people don't emulate. Even people like myself, who used to emulate. Earthbound on SNES will run you a good $250 or more online (I haven't checked the price recently, so I might be off a bit). Meanwhile, for just $50 more, I can get a new generation nintendo console that will have that game as a VC title with upgraded resolution and off TV play, probably for no more than $8. Additionally, I get access to new games and, even though the Wii U library is scant right now, it'll fill up with Nintendo first party titles eventually, at least.

From that perspective, I think it's actually rather feasible that someone would rather buy a Wii U to get a game for $8 that has more convenient features and have access to an entire new system's library which will get support for the next 6+ years, rather than spend $250+ for just a used copy of the original game. Unless you seriously value collecting original carts (like me), of course.

Again, I think you're overestimating the draw of the game here. Earthbound has pretty niche appeal, and those in the fanbase have likely already played the game to their heart's content. People who fit in the game's niche (internet dwelling NERDS) are much more likely to emulate or pirate the game than any other demographic - you and I might not, but we can't exactly speak for everyone. Some of the fanbase might go out of their way to purchase a copy legitimately, but I doubt the majority will. So that just leaves us with a small group of people who fit the game's niche, refuse to emulate Earthbound, and want it so badly it factors into their decision to buy a $300+ console.

Considering that Nintendo doesn't even think the games can sell on their own merits (Mother 3 never even left Japan), I really doubt that Nintendo puts much stock in this at all.

It's better for the brand if Nintendo offers it to as many Nintendo fans as they can. The more platforms it's available on, the more people can play the games - and, perhaps, the more the fanbase can grow. That seems like a better move for the future of the franchise than locking it to one console to draw a demographic that may not even exist.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu