Earnings report shows Epic Games paid $10.5 million to secure Control as a PC exclusive

Chary Sep 22, 2019.

1. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I don't think that Fortnight money isn't going to last forever, that's probably why they're going for the long term, by trying to compete with Steam. If they put some of that money towards their store front, maybe then a shit ton of people won't mind using it.

2. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Grow up mate

CallmeBerto, tyrantnyx and 1MiinMofo like this.
  3. Dominator211

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    On first glance here I got a lot of Resident Evil Revelations 2 vibes she looks a lot like Claire Redfield

4. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    dont like how your platform of choice is being ruined? just get a different one without all your friends, games or hardware, simple! /s

GilgameshArcher likes this.
  5. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Is this game any good?

6. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Do you like lobbing things at enemy's then buy it and if you didn't like lobbing things at enemy's you wil do with this game so buy it

7. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    I expect PC gamers are more mature and rational than those console whiny fortnuts kids....

Well I was Wrong :(

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

DsFix is laughing in distance and many years prior

8. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Bruh, that's some good dough. Not surprised why indie devs are flocking towards it.

9. Godofcheese

Godofcheese Insane

Dec 31, 2016
    Sweden
    Shivering Isles
    Funny that the devs will not see a dime of this :)
    Only publishers reap the riches when it comes to Epic Exclusivity.
    Well, unless they self publish

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Once more I find it odd to see as much dislike for Epic as I see but we did this dance before. I would say it is a give me convenience or give me death thing but if people were otherwise prepared to spend and will go the hassle of sailing the high seas of the internet then I don't even see that.

That said I absolutely adored the Max Payne games back when and Alan Wake was not without its charms but all of those were so long ago at this point that I would not bust out my wallet or sink my investment cash to that extent in the game, and can't see the return on investment (be it in money or mindshare) either. That had better have been one mightily fine demo they showcased.

A company whose primary business is/was an operating system (one they enjoy a monopoly in) is facing dwindling market share and/or irrelevance, with the added bonus that consoles are in a somewhat precarious position too, needs a thing to draw people in and find games do that and the kids (which they need as they are not gaining them as much thanks to andrios) they know to like games. Shocker there.

That is how business works though.

You can invest small and hope the thing makes it big or you can pay more for a "proven" product. Very occasionally you invest at one of those levels and the thing instead becomes the bank and starts buying in companies/products of their own and everybody gets super rich, and Epic seem to be trying to become that. Similarly if you need product now you buy in rather than invest and wait a few years.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  11. GilgameshArcher

GilgameshArcher GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 1, 2012
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    oh yeah, after be able to play games with maximum and high fps I go back to consoles...

12. tranceology3

tranceology3 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    As a consumer I am very grateful for Epic. I get about 2 free games a week. Can't complain here.

eyeliner, guisadop and DANTENDO like this.
  13. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    Hopefully they'll give Control for free in the coming months. I love this part of Epic Game Store.

14. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    If you want to play the game you should purchase it now and giv some cash to the devs not wait till freebie

15. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    throwing money at the store front and security of the platform and fixing cloudsaves and actually completing something on the roadmap would be a far wiser investment tbh. epic is making an ecosystem cultured in entitlement and that is gonna bite them hard if they can't get more people wanting to use the storefront to make a purchase

16. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    Well it seems the money has already reached the devs anyway.. and the game looks good but not 60 dollars good.

17. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Another Huxleyian Dystopia
    Anymore, following game news is more about watching market place patterns than about fun.

18. sks316

sks316 Professional Shitposter (also I help sometimes)

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Windows XP background
    Of course it would've been!
    among pirates. :ph34r:

Jiehfeng likes this.
  19. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Noticing, aloof from it all
    There's dozens of us, dozens!

20. JinTrigger

JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    ICS
    It stuff like this why devs cant stand consumers...