Earnings report shows Epic Games paid $10.5 million to secure Control as a PC exclusive

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Give me a break. AAA devs/publishers are not strapped for cash, and indies already had Kickstarter/crowdfunding as an option. It's doubly pathetic when a game is successfully crowdfunded only to turn around and go Epic exclusive anyway.

When a third-party game launches exclusive to any one storefront, for all intents and purposes it's always going to be nonexistent to a portion of PC gamers. Only short-sighted publishers are willing to limit their game's exposure, especially at a time when there are too many new launchers to keep up with.

Which makes piracy all the more appealing; you get to play the good games without the inconveniences and security concerns of a half-assed launcher.

Last edited by Xzi, Sep 22, 2019
    Y0shII, fanheavy, Shadowfied and 6 others like this.
  2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's nice and 'imma let you finish, but the same arguments you're using to throw shade at Epic are the arguments console gamers use to praise their systems - exclusive titles with good funding from the hardware's manufacturer. Installing the Epic client costs you nothing, you're cutting off the nose to spite the face. Exclusive titles in general, on PC and on consoles, are anti-consumer, but the fact that they're an effective way to market the software or hardware they're tied to is a foregone conclusion. Principles are very nice, but they don't have particularly good gameplay. You can carry on not playing Epic exclusives if you wish, I support your choice to vote with your wallet, but considering the fact that the cost of not having this conundrum is zero, it naturally comes across as silly.

SonyUSA and CallmeBerto like this.
  3. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I'm all for drawing in customers, but this is indeed pushing things. And for what? A new ip that at best becomes a sleeper hit in about a year or so.

Sure, epic is improving their store...at a snails pace. If they invested their money in the store, it'd be a much better investment in the medium and (especially) long run. :angry:

Last edited by Taleweaver, Sep 22, 2019 - Reason: Hour=hit... Stupid auto correct
    Xzi likes this.
  4. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The irony being that third-party exclusivity was dying out almost entirely across all platforms prior to Epic taking up that mantle. Microsoft has decided to commit all future titles to PC, leaving only first-party stuff and in-house developers as exclusive to PS4/Switch.

Being free is not a compelling reason to install Epic's software any more than it's a compelling reason to install Limewire.

Hey now, nobody said anything about not playing the games that interest me. The way I see it, Timmy Tencent already paid for my copies.

Y0shII, fanheavy, Shadowfied and 5 others like this.
  5. Engezerstorung

Engezerstorung GBAtemp Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    France
    well, that's actually the problem here: EPIC ISNT FUNDING, they throw money once the game is done
    the difference is that the game is already done, and they can judge it finished/close to be finished, they arent taking risk (about the quality of the game)
    funding is taking a risk to make an idea happen, here its not, they are just throwing money once the studio already took the risk themselves, its kind of if they are "leeching" on a 90% certain success, they are not sponsoring game production, they just hope to secure the juicy cut they can get from the sales
    so no, its have nothing to compare to console exclusives... (except if you compare it to the era when microsoft was doing the same thing as epic and a lot of people were pissed, like they are now)
    and from what i see, the games basically end up having less success (on pc) because people are pissed of this EGS tactic

if epic was actually funding production there would be no problems... (at least with me)

Last edited by Engezerstorung, Sep 22, 2019
    Megadriver94 and Xzi like this.
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Do you think that the money goes up in smoke if the game is complete, or do you think it becomes integrated into the payroll? It doesn't "disappear", it's part of the overall budget. ;)

7. robingilh

robingilh GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    France
    not far from a computer
    If people really cared about their game storefront, they would already have switched to GoG. Steam is barely better than Epic.

tyrantnyx and NeoSlyde like this.
  8. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Noticing, aloof from it all
    This makes me wonder, if Undertale was bought as an exclusive, would it have been as popular as it is?

9. Engezerstorung

Engezerstorung GBAtemp Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    France
    yeah but you need to have money in the first place to start somwhere, funding give you this money and allow you to go further, bought back pay you back some money you had and invested yourself
    one situation is investing into idea while taking risk, the other is just buying a finished product
    so it doesnt "help make game happen and distribute it exclusively on our platform to get some gain on our investment", and its "buying a finished product to restrict it to our platform"

but we could argue that this buying will make the money go into the budget for a futur game
    well in this situation you only end up "delay funding" developpment team that are already succefful enought to start on their own, you wont help promisint future team that need help to start
    and in all game they bought like that, they would have sold enought anyway, its just "extra cash", not life and death funding.
    so extra cash for already succefull product (and its because they will be succeful that epic buy them)
    so in the end its just pure "capitalism", and not a "philantrophic way of helping gaming industry better itself and funding new and promizing games "like they try to sell it to us

Last edited by Engezerstorung, Sep 22, 2019
  10. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I've bought games on pretty much every storefront. GOG, Battle.net, uPlay, hell even Origin. I gave EGS a chance too...back when they were still interested in developing Unreal Tournament and focusing on their first-party titles like Shadow Complex. When they gave up on UT to instead make their employees work 80 hour weeks on Fortnite, and they announced they were gonna start securing third-party exclusives, that's when I decided I needed to uninstall and delete my account. The constant e-mail alerts that people were trying to break into my account (despite it only having free games) also helped to reinforce that decision.

But nah, Steam is infinitely better than EGS in every way. Even Origin is considerably more feature-packed than EGS.

Last edited by Xzi, Sep 22, 2019
    Y0shII, DarknessPlay3r and J-Machine like this.
  11. NoNAND

NoNAND GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 22, 2015
    Albania
    The Adriatic Sea
    there's an overabundance of salty forth generated from that.
    still salty Epic.

Reynardine likes this.
  12. NeoSlyde

NeoSlyde Let us start the game

Mar 6, 2015
    Morocco
    Morocco
    This ^
    Man i feel like Steam Die Hard Fans are quite retarded...

13. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I hope that was the rest of Epic's money.

14. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    All that sweet sweet fortnite money

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Please this is literally just a tiny bit of their money.

15. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I know, just wishful thinking.

16. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    I wonder how many people buy the game on pc. I don't mind buying my games on epic games since I am platform agnostic, Epic games keeps their games locally priced. I actually paid $22.9 for control. This is the first time ever I bought a newly released game on PC. usually I waited about 6-12 months for a discount.

DANTENDO likes this.
  17. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    DUDE, what kind of logic is this? there are 3 companies even have you to pay for online? and what about other stores like Origin and Ucan'tPlay? they are even more greedy and pay shit for time exclusives.

18. DKB

DKB I'll be watching you sleep tonight.

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    10 Million dollars for a game that runs like shit on $1200+ GPU. Okay.

gameboy likes this.
  19. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Someone in this thread who talking sense a fkin bargain enjoy the game I pld least 30 hours on ps4

eriol33 likes this.
  20. GilgameshArcher

GilgameshArcher GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 1, 2012
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    consoles are shitty, no ps user has ever seen Blighttown on a constant 60 fps

Blake5100 likes this.