Hacking Early 16 GB Transcend Class 6 AK2i Results

megahog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all - I thought I would briefly share my experience with my new AK2i thus far. First off, I ordered the AK2i from modchipcentral, and I used Overnight Shipping. I never ordered from Canada before, so I was pretty oblivious as to what "overnight" really means. It took 6 days to get here. This is mainly due to modchipcentral taking more than a day to ship, and last Friday was a Canadian holiday. It was pretty annoying to say the least.

The AK2i has the gold sticker on the front of it. It was not in the plastic packaging as shown in the website picture - but it came in a little plastic cartridge case. They also provided an old AK2 cardboard sleeve for instructions and a USB/micro SD card reader. When loading the micro SDHC card into it - I found that the famous "click" you are supposed to hear is not really noticeable, and the seating of the card does not seem perfect. I really do not feel the spring-load against the micro card, and it doesn't really snap out when you want it. Nonetheless, it still works.

I am currently using a class-6, 16 GB Transcend Micro SDHC card with the AK2i. I ordered it off Amazon. I could not find it listed anywhere else, and there were not many Amazon reviews on it - so I was skeptical. Anyways, I used the Panasonic formatter and I put AKAIOS 1.4.1 proper on it. I have yet to test the real speed of the SDHC card using software, though. It took about 90 seconds to put about 15 DS roms on it, though.

Anyways, I loaded a custom skin for AKAIOS and I put all of my vintage emulators and ROMS on. All classic gaming is going good so far (SNES, NES, GB, Genesis, ColecoVision, and many more!) - with the exception of some ROM compatibility issues that everyone has.

Many DS roms are running smoothly, too. I haven't tried the "Castlevania test" yet, but most are running flawlessly. It may be a little premature, but as of now the Transcend 16 gb is proving to be awesome. I will post in the future if I start noticing any problems. I have only had the AK2i for a couple of hours, but the initial response is great.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with all my newbie questions for setting this thing up. I am definitely more educated with all of this now!

zero383

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's good to hear! Yes it was Good Friday stat holiday. Newegg sells the 8GB MicroSDHC for like 20 bucks. I heard that 16GB cards were slower than 8GB so I opted for the 8GB instead. I've never used a 16GB one before so I can't test it though.

CoconutCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait...

Are you sure it's a class 6 16GB?

Please post a link because I never could find a class 6 !6GB, and would love to get one. Thanks.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CoconutCake said:
Wait...

Are you sure it's a class 6 16GB?

Please post a link because I never could find a class 6 !6GB, and would love to get one. Thanks.

Hot damn! I'd love to snag up on one of those too!

Veign06

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-micr...9689&sr=1-1

80 bucks, no thanks lol...thinkin about getting an 8gb or 2, much cheaper
smile.gif

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
If a 16GB one works, then my Trancend 8GB Class 6 Micro SDHC will too!
biggrin.gif

Edit: Ouch! £80?! That's like... £50? My 8GB that I'm ordering is only £15
biggrin.gif

megahog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah - it was definitely around $80. Veign posted the correct link to Amazon. I figured if I am going to do this - I am going to do it right - so I dropped the money on it. I just like a lot of space! Anyways thos 8gb transcends should be just as great. I will have to do a performance test on this 16 gb and get back with you guys sometime.

radorn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a 2.1 (not 2i, but it's basically the same, isn't it?)

IMHO Castlevania's videos are no longer the hardest test for a card's speed. Castlevania and it's videos run flawlessly on me but other games don't, speed-wise. I have tried 3 different cards now:
Silicon Power 8 GB Class 4
Transcend 4 GB Class 6
Kingston 2 GB non-sdhc (made in japan)

None of them have solved the speed problems exhibited by the following games (NOT PRESENT IN THE ORIGINALS):
In "Suikoden Tierkreis" and "Phantasy Star 0" (Zero) in their opening videos, video lags severely behing audio. Some introductory and cutscenes suffer this too depending on the card and the video complexity (pannings are hard), but less noticeably than in the openings.
In "Kim Possible Kimmunicator" the game locks for a split second for a moment when touchscreen menus switch during gameplay to show something.

Repeat, none of these happen in the originals. You can check on Youtube for comparison too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: