ear stuff

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by tinymonkeyt, Dec 9, 2008.

Dec 9, 2008

ear stuff by tinymonkeyt at 5:05 AM (1,535 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. tinymonkeyt
    OP

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    so i went the doctor a week ago or something
    and he told me i had ear wax buildup and to use ear wax remover to get rid of it

so i go home and drop the ear wax remover stuff (its like carbamide peroxide)
    and i know im not supposed to
    but i used one of them cotton swab thingies to get out the solution stuff
    and now my ears kinda screwy
    it feels more plugged than my other ear
    and i hear this weird static-y noise
    plus, it hurts if i apply pressure

does that mean i like. broke my ear drum?
    im really worried :/
    and what do i do now? (i mean, before i can get to a doctor. right now, i dont have health insurance cuz we just switch plans and its really complicated. but i dont have health insurance so im not sure my mom will take me to the doctors..)

2. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    First thing is first stop applying pressing. You ear drum should be fine. When did you try using the cotton swab?

3. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Go to a witch doctor?

4. tinymonkeyt
    OP

United States
    what do you mean by when?
    like after i dropped the solution stuff into my ears, waited a few mins, and got most of it out by tilting my head straight
    my ears still felt plugged with the solution so i used a cotton swab
    i also used the cotton swab to try and get ear wax out though

5. Banger

United States
    Well did you get the ear wax remover and start using it a week ago and did you use the cotton swab that first time or was today the first time you used the cotton swab?

6. tinymonkeyt
    OP

United States
    well i used the ear wax remover like..maybe 2 days ago? and the cotton swab then. and then i used the ear wax remover today also with the cotton swab.

7. Banger

United States
    Well if the "weird static-y noise" just started today not to much to worry about, but I would recommend you not using it again. If the noise has been there since day one I would recommend you talk to your mom about bringing you to the hospital. If not get some sleep and hopefully it will be better in the morning.

8. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    The solution to everything!

9. Reaper

Member Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

United States
    NO COTTON SWAB!!!!
    STOP ASAP!

You need to get it out with the bulb things that you squeeze to get water out. That's what I do and it came with my remover.
    Or ask an ear doctor to remove it.

10. Banger

United States

When I was a kid I had something that they told me not to use an Q-Tip, I did against what they said. I was in so much pain and if I recall right my ear was bleeding. Not due to punctured ear drum or anything. But that really is besides the point. If they tell you not to use something it is best you listen. I of course lied about me using the Q-Tip for fear of getting in trouble.

11. BiscuitBee

Member BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Canada
    Please please please do not stick anything in your ear that is "sharper than your elbow" (age old saying, or old age saying?). If you MUST use a Q-Tip or a similar cotton swab, just use it to clean your outer ear. Do not go in your ear. :sadpanda:

12. Ducky

Member Ducky QUACKJECTION!

Israel
    Anyway , I hear the static noise a lot , it comes and goes , normal for everyone.

13. damole

Member damole GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't know... I don't hear much of the static noise. o.O
    Anyways, I suggest you go to the doctor/hospital if it continues the next day.

14. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    I must be sleepy, but for some reason, I got all the way to the line

"does this mean I broke my eardrum?" before realizing that this was not a poem....

I was thinking to myself. "Hmm. This must be based on real life, because thats exactly what happens to me....I didn't know tinymonkeyt had ear problems...I wonder if she's got partial deafness too..."

I got to the end before it even occurred to me that I was reading a regular post stating a factual event and requesting feedback for real life...

15. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    You might have gotten an infection. Wait a few days for it to clear, then use a hair clip to dig all your earwax out (better if your mom does this for you). Do not use Q-tips since they just push all the earwax deeper in rather than get it out.

In the future, don't neglect to clean your ears!

16. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    I got that static sound in my ear when I was diving in Swim class. Do you only hear it when tilting your head slightly? The sound in my ear disappeared after I had put a damp washcloth in the microwave for about 4 seconds, then held it up against my ear. The steam really helps.

17. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Wow do not do what Demon said. I have had this EXACT same problem, so listen to me.

I could barely hear out of my ear, so I went to the doctor (after trying that soultion stuff, which didn't work AT ALL and I think is just bullshit) and they looked in and told me my ears were packed with earwax. She asked if I wanted it to be flushed, and I said yes and she got this big gun/syringe/thingy and filled it with water, held a thing up to my neck below my ear and blew the warm water into it. If fills your canal up with water, so it is pretty uncomfortable, the pressure builds up, but then it dislodges the wax and it all runs out. The wax was about the size of an earplug! Right after it gets washed out, you feel a little light headed, and then she did the other one too. It took about 5 minutes, and after you leave, you feel like you have supersonic hearing. I would go do it again if my ears started to bother me.

Its a little uncomfortable, but it really is justified in the end. Since it is so short and easy, I can't see it costing that much money. I don't know how health care works in the USA, but ask your mom to look into it because it is probably cheap and you will feel so much better.