Hacking Each time I turn off the N3DS, all my Emunand CIAs turn into gift icons again and move around.

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure why this is?

Also when I change the theme in Sysnand it changes in Emunand and vice-versa. I guess this is something to do with the linking I've read about. CIAs do not seem to be shared though.

EDIT: If you didn't guess, it's my first night with Gateway working! :)

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why this is?

Also when I change the theme in Sysnand it changes in Emunand and vice-versa. I guess this is something to do with the linking I've read about. CIAs do not seem to be shared though.

EDIT: If you didn't guess, it's my first night with Gateway working! :)

You need to format sysNAND to un-link the two to stop this problem. Most folks set up emuNAND then format their sysNAND then conduct all the game playing in emuNAND. Remember to remove your SD card and make a backup first!

Reactions: sup3rgh0st

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gotcha. So remove internal Emunand SD card, format system, put Enunand SD card back in. Do I need a blank SD card in there while formatting?

Is there advantage to leaving them linked? Any risk or special instruction when formatting?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having them linked is very very dangerous. If you install a bad cia on your emunand then it can brick your sysnand.

Having them linked has it's advantages though but definitely should be unlinked because having a bricked console isn't much fun.

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha. So remove internal Emunand SD card, format system, put Enunand SD card back in. Do I need a blank SD card in there while formatting?

Is there advantage to leaving them linked? Any risk or special instruction when formatting?

No SD card is needed when formatting. As far as I know outside of using signed .cias there aren't any benefits to having them linked. If you ever want them linked again just make a NAND backup and save it to your computer.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Having them linked is very very dangerous. If you install a bad cia on your emunand then it can brick your sysnand.

Having them linked has it's advantages though but definitely should be unlinked because having a bricked console isn't much fun.

No.

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu

What 'bad' cia? I'm sure there have not been any, although I can make you one if you want ha.
But naturally, it will only affect the nand you install it on...
So don't worry

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have a source for that? I've kept my 3DSes linked the entire time and have never bricked either one.
He has a higher medal count than you he doesn't need a source. :)

Cearp said a week ago or so it is unlikely but if you got ahold of a maliciously coded one it could brick. (Paraphrasing of course, his explaiation was more nuanced). If you are one that likes to unwrap presents all the time, go for it.

Edit: speak of the Devil himself, he lurks around every corner.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
He has a higher medal count than you he doesn't need a source. :)

Cearp said a week ago or so it is unlikely but if you got ahold of a maliciously coded one it could brick. (Paraphrasing of course, his explaiation was more nuanced). If you are one that likes to unwrap presents all the time, go for it.

sure, but emunand bricking sysnand? not possible from a cia INSTALL.
sure, someone could create a bad program than when opened within emunand, somehow bricks sysnand. -- but bricking is VIA installing a cia via devmenu etc... no

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Managed Budokai Tenkaichi 3 to work