OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
EAGoldenPooWCIA.png

Whether it's on a console, a PC, a smartphone or tablet, hundreds of millions of people play video games every day. Yet most mainstream media covers the industry the same way it treats adult dodge ball leagues and cat fashion shows (both noble ventures, but neither of them multi-billion dollar industries). And the only time you hear legislators discuss video games is when some politician decries them as the death knell for all things righteous in the world (hint: they're not). Now, after years of being ignored and relegated to steerage, game-players have voted to send a message to Electronic Arts and the gaming business as a whole: Stop treating your loyal customers like crap.
After more than 250,000 votes, Consumerist readers ultimately decided that the type of greed exhibited by EA, which is supposed to be making the world a more fun place, is worse than Bank of America's avarice, which some would argue is the entire point of operating a bank.
To those who might sneer at something as "non-essential" as a video game company winning the Worst Company In America vote: It's that exact kind of attitude that allows people to ignore the complaints as companies like EA to nickel and dime consumers to death.
For years, while movies and music became more affordable and publishers piled on bonus content — or multiple modes of delivery — as added value to entice customers to buy, video games have continued to be priced like premium goods.
There have even been numerous accusations that EA and its ilk deliberately hold back game content with the sole intent of charging a fee for it at a later date. It's one thing to support a game with new content that is worth the price. It's another to put out an inferior — and occasionally broken — product with the mindset of "ah, we'll fix it later and make some money for doing so."
New, independent game companies do pop up all the time, but the cost of entering the market has historically been too expensive, making these indie innovators prime targets for acquisition by mega-publishers like EA. Our hope is that the growth of app-based gaming and downloadable games will continue to make it easier for developers to get their products out without the backing of companies that don't care a lick about the people who fork over their cash.
Source

Discuss

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's what they probably get for the money milking franchises like Madden, NFL, Tiger Woods, FIFA, ..... Minimal effort for the maximum profit, disgusting if you ask me. They just have a monopoly, can't believe those franchises keep selling like hotcakes.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoever voted for EA is an absolute moron who knows nothing about the other companies or the ones that were missing from this piss poor poll.

Reactions: 4 people

qlum

Posting when needed
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sure other companies do more damage and are also rather bad but EA just doesn't give a fuck ignoring long time fans, and some other companies after enough criticism started to crack and admit they are wrong but EA just keeps going on completely ignoring everyones opinion. Also looking at the industry surrounding them they are a lot worse than most the competition while with banks, isp's and oil corporations the bad behavior is just industry standard however bad that may be. I also think giving such a reward to a company like EA is more of a statement than just giving it to a bank as everyone knows how they are while a lot of people may not think the same about a game publisher.

In short although I do think that they are not the worst company in terms of damage I do think they deserve the award.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Electronic Arts Reports Q1 FY12 Financial Results (Excerpts):

Battlefield 3 Pre-Orders Up More Than 10x Battlefield: Bad Company 2
NCAA 12 Sell-Through Up 17% Versus NCAA 11
Star Wars: The Old Republic Breaks EA Record For Pre-Orders
Q1 Non-GAAP Digital Revenue $209 Million; Up 35% On A Trailing Twelve Month Basis
Trailing twelve month non-GAAP digital revenue $854 million, up 35% year-over-year.
First quarter fiscal 2012 non-GAAP digital revenue $209 million, up 11% year-over-year.
Trailing twelve month console non-GAAP digital revenue increased 91% year-over-year.
First quarter fiscal 2012 smart phone non-GAAP revenue up over 75% year-over-year.
Nucleus registered users 125 million at the end of first quarter fiscal 2012.

http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=594196

My goodness, truthfuly EA is the worst of the lot! How dare they increase their revenue and release games which people buy as if they were the cure for cancer!

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted User

It's a good thing EA produces some of the best video games of this generation..

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoever voted for EA is an absolute moron who knows nothing about the other companies or the ones that were missing from this piss poor poll.

Considering the poll introduces biases by appealing more to people who actually would participate in these things (low aged gamers) I'm not surprised EA won. But that's the whole reason for voting, if everyone knew everything about every little things with the world, votes would be pointless because you only need one person to make a decision. In conclusion, everyone who votes doesn't need to know everything about every little company and there's nothing wrong with that.

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
Electronic Arts Reports Q1 FY12 Financial Results (Excerpts):

Battlefield 3 Pre-Orders Up More Than 10x Battlefield: Bad Company 2
NCAA 12 Sell-Through Up 17% Versus NCAA 11
Star Wars: The Old Republic Breaks EA Record For Pre-Orders
Q1 Non-GAAP Digital Revenue $209 Million; Up 35% On A Trailing Twelve Month Basis
Trailing twelve month non-GAAP digital revenue $854 million, up 35% year-over-year.
First quarter fiscal 2012 non-GAAP digital revenue $209 million, up 11% year-over-year.
Trailing twelve month console non-GAAP digital revenue increased 91% year-over-year.
First quarter fiscal 2012 smart phone non-GAAP revenue up over 75% year-over-year.
Nucleus registered users 125 million at the end of first quarter fiscal 2012.

http://investor.ea.c...eleaseID=594196

My goodness, truthfuly EA is the worst of the lot! How dare they increase their revenue and release games which people buy as if they were the cure for cancer!

I believe this isn't a competition in financial sucky-ness, they would have fact based results otherwise. I think it's about moral sucky-ness, which is opinion based.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I believe this isn't a competition in financial sucky-ness, they would have fact based results otherwise. I think it's about moral sucky-ness, which is opinion based.
Perhaps, but finances are directly connected to how the customers feel about the company. If people truly hate EA then why do they buy games published or developed by EA at an increasing rate? :)

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it's safe to say that EA deserves it more so then any other gaming business. As a company, they have no respect for the consumers and have gone out of their way to nickel and dime gamers heavily quite recently, and it's unacceptable. Tack on the whole Origin/Steam debacle, which really isn't going to prove their point and consumers will continue to boycott buying their products for the PC and inevitably they will just stop making games for the PC and kill off a segment of their profit margin in the process. It seems American corporations as a whole, don't care about the people they work for and represent, and all of them deserve to be labelled as the Worst Companies in America.

It's the corporate greed and lack of respect for the people who keep them in business, that makes them do these things and I wish consumers as a whole would step up and just say no and stop buying their products period. I wish people would stop crying about all the bullshit that EA has done over the last couple of years and just stand up and say that we aren't going to take it anymore. Why do you think I refuse to buy EA products? Because they nickel and dime consumers for stuff that should be provided with the game, bonus content, expansion packs and things like that should be created after the fact and sold as such. I won't support anyone who thinks it's acceptable to have day one DLC even though it's in the bloody package, why should I pay for content that's already available to me?

Reactions: 1 person

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
Perhaps, but finances are directly connected to how the customers feel about the company. If people truly hate EA then why do they buy games published or developed by EA at an increasing rate? :)

Liking a product does not equal liking a company :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: From what people say pvp isn't even worth it