OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nfs-shift-582px-013009b.jpg

QUOTE said:
It seems EA's long-idling racing franchise isn't destined for the scrap heap at all, as the publisher has unveiled three new Need for Speed titles across several platforms. In an interview with Gamespot, EA's veep of marketing, Kevin Munro, insists that "the new brand strategy around three specific genres will keep the game fresh and players entertained." This refreshing and oh-so-entertaining trio of titles includes:

* Need for Speed: Shift (PS3, Xbox 360, PC, PSP) -- A "hardcore racing simulation" overseen by Black Box executive producer Michael Mann, and Patrick Soderlund, the co-founder of DICE and current senior vice president of EA Games Europe. External developer Slightly Mad Studios will be responsible for putting a realistic spin on the franchise.
* Need for Speed: Nitro (Wii, DS) -- As you might expect, this one will feature a "unique visual style," courtesy of EA Montreal. Nitro promises to take full advantage of the unique controls on offer for both platforms, but without sacrificing depth. According to Munro, "We do not want to fall into the trap of creating a 'Need for Speed Lite.'"
* Need for Speed: World Online (PC) -- Jointly developed by Black Box and EA Shanghai, this free-to-play online racer is set to launch in Asia this Summer, with a North American release slated for next Winter.

You can look for Shift and Nitro on North American shelves sometime during Fall 2009. We'll update as soon as we satiate our early-morning need for speed and overt drug references.

[Source]

QUOTEAs you might expect, this one will feature a "unique visual style,"
EA's way of saying "Crap Looking" considering it's on wii and ds
smileipb2.png

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Prime said:
* Need for Speed: Shift (PS3, Xbox 360, PC, PSP) -- A "hardcore racing simulation" overseen by Black Box executive producer Michael Mann, and Patrick Soderlund, the co-founder of DICE and current senior vice president of EA Games Europe. External developer Slightly Mad Studios will be responsible for putting a realistic spin on the franchise.

I didn't know "Burnout" was spelt "hardcore racing simulator"...

PS: It will be the same crap as always, I fear.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prime said:
QUOTE said:
As you might expect, this one will feature a "unique visual style,"
EA's way of saying "Crap Looking" considering it's on wii and ds
smileipb2.png
They said "unique" looking crap on the Wii is hardly unique. Of course many companies claim something is unique when its not so I'm expecting another cell shaded racer.

Its good that EA have gone this way though, more publishers should do separate games instead of whoring them out on every system. Also EA Montreal did do SSX Blur & Skate It for the Wii which were pretty good, despite Skate It being better without the balance board.

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
* Need for Speed: World Online (PC) -- Jointly developed by Black Box and EA Shanghai, this free-to-play online racer is set to launch in Asia this Summer, with a North American release slated for next Winter.

AWESOME.
I love online racing games.
smile.gif

I hope this SHIFT is going to look like the Screenshot. Looks better than GT5 imho.

Edit:
nfs_nitro992_screen.jpg

Doesn't look very unique to me.
tongue.gif

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
da_head said:
hm i never played pro street, but i heard it was disappointing. i wonder how these will be. from the screenshot, the graphics look pretty sick

That's all NFS games seem. You look at the cutscreen/photoshop-ish screenshots and they look pretty. It's the gameplay that is lacking from all NFS games

I have a sweet spot for NFS: Undercover tho, Wicked game imo

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
* Need for Speed: Nitro (Wii, DS) -- As you might expect, this one will feature a "unique visual style," courtesy of EA Montreal. Nitro promises to take full advantage of the unique controls on offer for both platforms, but without sacrificing depth. According to Munro, "We do not want to fall into the trap of creating a 'Need for Speed Lite.'"

I think this is a brilliant idea, especially for DS owners as all the NFS games to hit the DS (and racing games in general) have been crummy. This is because they have all been "Need for Speed lite" where the same game is released on all systems and the DS one ends up being a watered down version of the other games, in other words, it ends up garbage. It happened with:
  • Need For Speed Underground 2
  • Need For Speed Carbon - Own the City
  • Need For Speed Most Wanted
  • Need For Speed ProStreet
  • Need For Speed Undercover
I think concentrating on a game specific to the system will be a lot more successful and efficient than releasing a watered down console-equivalent of the game.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm interested in :Shift

Im sure the Wii/DS will look like shit though. The last NFS I really played and enjoyed was Most Wanted, but liking the Gran Turismo look. Hopefully better than Grid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: