EA To "Push Forward" Loot Boxes In Their Games

ea cash.JPG

In a recent earnings call, Andrew Wilson, CEO of EA, had the following to say in regards to loot boxes:

We're working with all the industry associations globally and with regulators in various jurisdictions and territories, many of whom we've been working with for some time and have evaluated and established that programs like FIFA Ultimate Team are not gambling. And we don't believe that FIFA Ultimate Team – all loot boxes are gambling.

The news come after the recent decision in several countries to seek the ban of loot boxes which have been considered a form of gambling. EA even seemed to right the wrongs after announcing that it will remove the pay-to-win system from Battlefront II and introduce another system. While the debate about whether loot boxes should be considered as gambling is still ongoing, EA does not think so, with Wilson further giving the following argument:

Firstly, players always receive a specified number of items in each FUT pack. And secondly, we don't provide or authorize any way to cash out or sell items in virtual currency for real-world money. And there's no way we can make value assign to FUT items in game currency. And while we forbid the transfer of items of in-the-game currency outside, we also actively seek to eliminate that where it's going on in an illegal environment, and we work with regulators in various jurisdictions to achieve that.

And so net-net, we're going to continue to push forward. We're always thinking about our players. We're always thinking about how to deliver these types of experiences in a transparent, fun, fair, and balanced way for our players. And we'll communicate with regulators around the world on it.

So what do you think? Is EA right to hold its ground when it comes to loot boxes? Or is it on its way to win "Worst Company in America" once more?

:arrow: SOURCE

D

DeletedMember411838

Panini stickers/Pokémon cards are very different from loot boxes. Unlike loot boxes you buy something physical that, unlike loot boxes, doesn't expire and just dissappear.

Take FIFA Ultimate Team for example, you can buy player packs (loot boxes) for either real life money or in-game currency which is extremely grindy to get. After one year or less there will be a new FIFA version, essentialy making your players in the previous version worthless. Even if you'd decide to continue playing the old FIFA version, you'd still lose your players after a few years when the servers are shut down with no compensation whatsoever.

You can still trade and play with Pokémon cards for the rest of your life if you want to. You can even, again unlike with loot boxes, sell your card collection for real money when you're done with it.

I was going to say that too. However I have 2 things to add.

One - The cards have dollar values, some of them very high. Thus, when you buy them, you actually are "Gambling", I haven't touched Pokemon since I was a kid (first set, maybe second) but I still play magic.

When I buy a pack, I can either, be lucky to get my money back, Lose money, or make money, sometimes Hundreds of dollars. That is gambling.

Two - Now you specify that the cards are physical, but guess what MTGO is a digital version of magic, the cards still come in booster packs, and still sell for tons of money.

MTGO, also allows and ENCOURAGES the sale of Digital MTG Cards. Furhtering the fact it's straight up gambling.

While you can sell, game accounts/items it's frowned upon. Not that it's not done all the time.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Unfortunately that's not the way this works.
These companies prey on 3 particular groups of individuals:

1) People that are rich and don't give a fuck.
2) Mentally ill/socially awkward people in MMOs that are forced to buy stuff in order to be able to keep up with their (usually) virtual friends.
3) Timmy using dad's creditcard.

All the while making sure that said items you get are either unavailable or simply not worth it to grind for to get them without paying.
There are tons of psychological tricks embedded into these games that make sure that you'll always feel like you're missing out.

The 1% of the playerbase is ruining it for us all, and we can't even blame them.
As long as our government isn't doing anything about this and not protecting the people that don't have the brain capacity to understand that these are scummy business practices nothing will ever change.

As a "Whale" Myself, I beg to differ.

These are only true for people that haven't been around the Loot box world long enough.

I have yet to lose money, by playing an MMO, I spend thousands on everyone I play. And when I am ready to move on, I sell my gold(or whatever that game calls it) and anything else I can that isn't bound, then I sell the entire account, (sometimes I keep it).

That gets me the money I spent back, and sometimes more. During my time playing the game, I sell runs/protection/help ECT, with my friends.

Everyone I play MMOs with, not only spends a ton of money, we make it all back and then some before leaving. It's an investment not an expense.

I think they need to stop worrying about loot boxes, and start adding in protection for people like me. If you payed for the game it's yours, if you bought the box it's yours, you should be able to sell anything you want, including the account itself.

And then when they try to ban you for selling runs, well that's even more ridiculous, you can't stop me from selling my time. Thank gosh for Cash Shop Armor!

(To those not Privy to "Cash Shop Armor", it doesn't mean gear bought from the cash shop. Rather, when you spend thousands on a game as I do, a ban will be lifted immediately, by threatening a charge back, just FYI, and if it isn't, and the permanent ban sticks, the charge back will work in your favor, TOS is not a binding contract, in the fashion game company would have you believe.)

Now you have all been blessed with the secrets of the Whales :).

Last edited by ,

Deleted member 420418

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate loot boxes because then once you buy the game, you have to buy even more stuff so you can unlock certain things and you then waste even more money than you payed for the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu