EA to expire an iOS game, still selling it

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
OP
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
gallery_262855_65_36239.jpg

While it's not uncommon for a game publisher to withdraw support for the online portion of a game due to server cost issues, it is unheard of for a company to flat-out cancel offline use of a downloaded game at an arbitrary date. But that is exactly what EA plans to do with its iOS game ROCK BAND on May 31st. Despite this death sentence, amazingly, the game is still up for sale on the app store.

The company has not commented on the issue, but has updated it's product FAQ:

I've heard ROCK BAND will not be available after May 31. Is this true?
Yes, we will be suspending support of ROCK BAND after May 31 and focusing resources on other EA titles. We thank everyone for playing ROCK BAND, and we encourage you to explore some of the other exciting titles in our mobile line-up.

Can I still play ROCK BAND if I've already downloaded it?
The ROCK BAND servers will be live through May 31, 2012. If you have already downloaded the game, you can continue to play until then.
So what do you think Temp? Is this an isolated incident from an ethically bankrupt company or possibly a growing trend as the game industry continues to shift towards digital downloads?

:arrow: Source

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's like Apple threatening to comletely disable jailbroken devices!!
Oh wait...

Here's hoping this doesn't start a trend.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either there's been a huge misunderstanding somewhere down the line, or Dirk Dastardly has taken charge of EA's mobile division.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got any more in depth discussion on this? I wonder if it is say something to do with music licensing (EA are certainly not on my Christmas card list or indeed entities that would be pissed on if they were on fire list but they are nothing compared to popular music licensing people) or perhaps some continued support costs of a different nature (other applications might amount to fire into the swamp and forget but this might not be) but at this point such a thing is at best marginally informed speculation.

Still selling a product like this with an expiration date so near in the future is something of a dick move.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't exactly get how they "expire" an iOS game.

I can see no longer selling it or no longer supporting it with digital content, but can't people still play the game they already have with whatever content they already have for it? Or are they killing the game altogether?

Either way it seems quite sleezy. Originally I thought they were exaggerating with "EA is the worst company in America" but it's becoming harder and harder to defend them.

Reactions: 2 people

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, Rock Ban sucks anyway and its on a fail device that contends mostly to people who probably stopped playing RB after a few days.

Not to say EA is right for doing this, but its also EA. Even back when they were doing "good" nobody really liked them.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They can't simply "stop" people from using the software they purchased. They can withdraw support or disable online play, sure, but not disable applications.

If this is indeed true, there's a lawsuit tsunami coming at them as this is not legal by any standards. Once you purchase something it's just "yours" until you choose to sell it to someone else or just get rid of it.

Reactions: 10 people

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not legal.
When you purchase something, the object/data is, YOURS, and you own it.
It's just like bricking. It's not legal.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's not legal.
When you purchase something, the object/data is, YOURS, and you own it.
It's just like bricking. It's not legal.

Why councillor I had not expected to see you here. I agree though this has the potential to be an interesting clarification of the reach of a EULA (presumably one was presented or otherwise made available before the download/sale) and other licensing issues unless it is a straight up software as a kind of service arrangement.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WHAT!!? I actually purchased this game back in 2010. I love Rock Band on the iPhone! It looks great and its fun to play on the go!
Wow. I had failing trust in EA after they bought Westwood, let them make RA2 and then fired them and tired to make RA3 the rest of the Tibrain Sun series, that sucked balls. Now im pissed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM