EA Signs Exclusive Game Deal With Disney

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA is the big bad bogeyman of game development right now. They've been voted the worst company in America two years running, that's a lofty achievement.

Well, if you hate EA and still love Star Wars despite years of systematic abuse and battering, you might want to sit down and set phasers to freak out.

Specifics, as usual, are in short supply but the bottom line is that the companies have signed a "multi-year exclusive licensing agreement" in which EA will develop "core" games "spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres," while Disney retains development rights for mobile, social, tablet and online Star Wars games.

"Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe," EA Labels President Frank Gibeau said in a statement. "Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise."
arrow.gif
The Escapist

Nooooo!

While many are already bemoaning the decision, I'd say that the pessimism is a little premature. EA has made its fair share of poor choices, don't get me wrong, but the publisher has a stable of strong developers under its belt, like Dice and Bioware. Battlefront 3 Battlefield: Star Wars? A true KOTOR 3? I think I could be pretty okay with that.

Whatever the case, I have to say my curiosity is piqued. Here's hoping the franchise can live long and prosper.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Now the question is, who'll get the rough deal out of this? EA or Disney?
Before, the only person who would profit from a Star Wars deal would be George Lucas, but he's done with that now.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
:nayps3:
Replace that PS3 with my laptop!

I was kinda hoping to come in here to see EA bought out by Disney. It would be nice to see them on the receiving end of Disney's beatings.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now the question is, who'll get the rough deal out of this? EA or Disney?
Before, the only person who would profit from a Star Wars deal would be George Lucas, but he's done with that now.

EA is in no position to strong-arm anyone, while Disney's stock soars to new highs, so you tell me who's getting the better end of this deal?

What befuddles me is that EA has already has an over-reliance on licensed IP, and spending a whack of cash on a license like this is *not* going to help them create their own, which is what they desperately need.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

but on a serious note, let's see what game can actually come of this first, a single player kotor or a new battlefront seems 2 of the most obvious choices now

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: the_randomizer

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
So first Disney close down the games devision of LucalArts, meaning there will never be that Monkey Island 5 game that everyone wants, especially with the Monkey Island being the basis of the story behind Pirates of the Caribbean, now the sign a deal with one of the worst game producers of recent years. I am very disappointed in Disney right now.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA is the big bad bogeyman of game development right now. They've been voted the worst company in America two years running, and, if forums and image boards are to be believed, they are currently out-Hitlering Adolf Hitler, the previously undisputed master of Hitlering and inventor of the sport. That's a lofty achievement.

Well, if you hate EA and still love Star Wars despite years of systematic abuse and battering, you might want to sit down and set phasers to freak out.

arrow.gif
The Escapist

Nooooo!

While many are already bemoaning the decision, I'd say that the pessimism is a little premature. EA has made its fair share of poor choices, don't get me wrong, but the publisher has a stable of strong developers under its belt, like Dice and Bioware. Battlefront 3 Battlefield: Star Wars? A true KOTOR 3? I think I could be pretty okay with that.

Whatever the case, I have to say my curiosity is piqued. Here's hoping the franchise can live long and prosper.
Ah shit, EA stole kingdom hearts from SE. (really tho, battlefront?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: