EA Play Live 2020 event - the Skate series is coming back

Strap in, because the month of never-ending E3 replacements continues with tonight's EA Play Live 2020 show. We're certain to see sports games and Star Wars, when the showcase begins at 6pm CT/4pm PT, or, exactly when this post goes live. If you don't want to tune in to the full event, you can always rely on us to cover the event and show you all the cool stuff, neatly rounded up for you.

Live Coverage

The show starts off with a thankful message to first responders who helped with the Australian fires earlier this year. Also a shoutout to developers and fans of EA's games, and a supportive statement on racial equality, in the world, and in gaming.

Apex Legends is the first game we get to see. Season 05 has just started, with Lost Treasures to be the next big event coming soon. June 23. It'll be a collection event, with new gameplay mode called Armed and Dangerous: Evolved. Snipers and shotguns only. Completing challenges will net you items, and there are plenty of cosmetics to get. Apex is coming to Steam. With crossplay on consoles, too.

Apex Legends is coming to the Nintendo Switch. This fall.

There's a video talking about the inclusivity of The Sims franchise and how it's impacted many of its players.

The Sims gets one announcement today: Sims 4 launches on Steam today. More content is coming eventually.

EA is bringing seven new games to the Switch, including Apex and Burnout Paradise Remastered.

Zoink Games is developing a new title called Lost in Random. It has a very claymation look to its visuals. 2021. Comes from the A Way Out devs.

Rocket Arena is a competitive shooter that uses only rockets as weapons. Very cartoon-y and Overwatch-ish. Crossplay on launch. July 15th launch.

Star Wars: Squadrons. October 2 launch. Takes place after Return of the Jedi. Crossplay on all platforms. The entire game will be playable in VR. There will be components that determine how your ships fly. Cosmetics will be plentiful. There's a dogfight mode where you fight in 5v5 teams.

Sports time.

We get to see that Criterion, Dice, Motive, and BioWare are working on next-gen games.

The Skate series is BACK. According to the devs, there's a long way to go.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's it?

...Do I even need to say the rest?

Anyways, the SW game looked cool.
Yeah I forgot this was gonna be a whole event instead of just a gameplay reveal for Squadrons. Glad I only caught that on the tail end, because it's the only thing EA is doing that I'm actually interested in right now (though I do want Apex Legends on Steam).

Reactions: banjo2

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, reminder that all they said was that the Skate series is back. That could mean Skate: The Card Game or Skate 2.5 featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series & Knuckles..

Reactions: Xzi

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may be wrong but it looks like they're trying to make squadrons an esport type game. They're definitely aren't keeping the more realistic style from BF2 and giving a more minimal and cartoony look probably to improve performance for more compatibility and vr. Like its a hero shooter but with different ships.

Not complaining, if anything, it will make the lifespan of the game be longer if it get popular.

Last edited by GoldenBullet,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like I lost weight just watching the sports stuff lul. I'll never understand why ppl buy the same game every year

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I may be wrong but it looks like they're trying to make squadrons an esport type game. They're definitely aren't keeping the more realistic style from BF2 and giving a more minimal and cartoony look probably to improve performance for more compatibility and vr. Like its a hero shooter but with different ships.
Yeah they definitely kept the graphics a bit minimal to avoid the game chugging on PCs that just clear the minimum requirement for VR. That has the added benefit of making the minimum requirements for the pancake version low, though, so it'll also help to increase the game's overall player count.

Reactions: GoldenBullet

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I know why I don't buy EA games. Where all the fun PLATFORMER JUMPING JUMP JUMP GAMES AT!? :blink:

Seem like all EA games is just online multiplayer "Services" games that have you paying money for content or something. :wacko:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A Skate game you say?

I mean it is EA and we did get Skate 3 (better controls, worse map, sold what I would have considered utterly basic functions, that being local reset with next character/controller multiplayer, that were in Skate 2 as DLC along with a cheat being paid DLC) after the glory that was Skate 2, before they promptly retired the series and got rid of the studio so they will have to show they are not complete incompetents. However I am still cautiously optimistic here as Skate 3 still saw me sink hundreds of hours into it despite the problems.

Reactions: Stealphie

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy fuck, I just read what the stream was about, that sounds boring as fuck. I cannot imagine actually sitting through 50 minutes watching that, lol.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Holy fuck, I just read what the stream was about, that sounds boring as fuck. I cannot imagine actually sitting through 50 minutes watching that, lol.
Some years back I took to watching E3 streams after the fact. Could then do them at 2x speed and fast forward through the celebrity endorsements and sports games. Still not the most information dense format but far more bearable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos