EA has said that they have milked franchises too much

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA’s CEO John Riccitiello has admitted that releasing sequel after sequel has damaged EA's portfolio.

“If you go back seven years, we were the leader. And we dropped the ball. Our IP deteriorated, our costs went up, and we didn’t really have an answer for the rise of digital… Need For Speed ended up flat on its back. That annual sequel thing got to us. That was a very tough business run. We just didn’t have the portfolio.”

- John Riccitiello, EA[/p]

Source
Source 2

Zeroneo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What's happening to EA? They almost sound not-evil
unsure.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess EA realized that if they're, you know, a bit more honest and nice than the competition (COUGH BOBBY KOTICK COUGH), then they might get better sales. There's people who will refuse to buy Activision games because of they're dick attitude and pillaging of franchises.

Maybe this means EA will start producing more original stuff and allowing more games to get a big name publisher?

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
I guess EA realized that if they're, you know, a bit more honest and nice than the competition (COUGH BOBBY KOTICK COUGH), then they might get better sales. There's people who will refuse to buy Activision games because of they're dick attitude and pillaging of franchises.

Maybe this means EA will start producing more original stuff and allowing more games to get a big name publisher?

I hope so...

Their next step should be making the Madden game with up-datable rosters so all those horrible Madden fans don't need to shell out 60 bucks for a new one each year... even if it costs a bit as DLC or something. I always feel like all those people are being heavily exploited each year.

But who am I kidding? What are the odds of that.
tongue.gif

When they do that we will finally know they are not evil anymore.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
Guild McCommunist said:

I hope so...

Their next step should be making the Madden game with up-datable rosters so all those horrible Madden fans don't need to shell out 60 bucks for a new one each year... even if it costs a bit as DLC or something. I always feel like all those people are being heavily exploited each year.

tongue.gif

Madden needs a new game every year its just that their are NO improvements to the game just little gimicks what EA really needs is competition no one else could make NFL games after 2005 if you look at madden games after 2005 you can see the deterioration of quality.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
ThatDudeWithTheFood said:
Schlupi said:
Guild McCommunist said:

I hope so...

tongue.gif

Madden needs a new game every year its just that their are NO improvements to the game just little gimicks what EA really needs is competition no one else could make NFL games after 2005 if you look at madden games after 2005 you can see the deterioration of quality.

That is what I am saying. You buy pretty much the SAME EXACT GAME for 60 bucks every year.

THAT is evil.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Need For Speed... if they quit the "annual new release" thing to stop bringing us shitty games, and actually put effort into each of their games, they'd sell pretty well me thinks.

I mean, High Stakes on the PS1 will always have a place in my heart.
The first Underground game was good as well.

But Carbon, Pro Street... utter shit for me.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Schlupi said:
That is what I am saying. You buy pretty much the SAME EXACT GAME for 60 bucks every year.

THAT is evil.

You don't have to buy it, and if people didn't keep buying them they wouldn't keep releasing them every year. They aren't exploiting anybody, people are buying the games of their own free will.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:

I remember EA during the Sega Genesis era... they seemed to have their hands in EVERYTHING.
And their cases were different too.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FINALLY!! They milked everything they had dry and the newer things were, or movie-games, or crap.. The originality was totally gone.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait...they JUST figured this out? Well, I'm surprised they're becoming self-aware.

Also, stop making these stupid Stuff Packs for The Sims 3 and make the new Expansion Pack.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
Schlupi said:

THAT is evil.

You don't have to buy it, and if people didn't keep buying them they wouldn't keep releasing them every year. They aren't exploiting anybody, people are buying the games of their own free will.

It depends on you definition of exploit.

EA KNOWS that people will buy it, because they want good online support and matchmaking. The old games don't get any love. By adding no new (notable) features or changes in gameplay, they are selling virtually the same exact product to people who are pressured into buying the new game each year.

Are you telling me that the DVD rewinder wasn't exploiting people just because they bought it on their own free will?

I am talking about marketing, and capitalism.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
Law said:
Schlupi said:

THAT is evil.

EA KNOWS that people will buy it, because they want good online support and matchmaking. The old games don't get any love. By adding no new (notable) features or changes in gameplay, they are selling virtually the same exact product to people who are pressured into buying the new game each year.

Are you telling me that the DVD rewinder wasn't exploiting people just because they bought it on their own free will?

Yup, Madden to many people is Dynasty Warriors to me. I just can't stop buying them.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Schlupi said:
Law said:
Schlupi said:

THAT is evil.

Yup, Madden to many people is Dynasty Warriors to me. I just can't stop buying them.

I am not insulting you, I myself still play those damn games... >_>

I NEVER said I was above being exploited.
tongue.gif

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YAY! now higher the staff of Westwood all back that brought us C&C 2 Red Alert/ Yuri's Revenge and bring us an awesome Red Alert 4.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool