EA giving The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection for FREE on Origin

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so origin isn't the devil anymore or what?

Its never been the devil, just utterly pointless useless crap most people don't take the time or effort to run.
It's like Steams rather dim little brother.

The freebies are incentives to use the service more because pretty much no one likes it or does use it. They throw out a free game here and there as a "Hey guise we're relevant...rite?"
It's not but we take the free games anyway.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Swore that Origin was effectively a mass of spyware according to reports that reports on almost everything in your computer to EA?

No, that was what some news site said that blew it waaaay out of proportion from what it actually does, and then everyone just followed suit because "lol ea worse than hitler :cry:".

All Origin does is scan your PC for EA-related software, y'know, the stuff Origin is for, and that was about it. Steam does the same exact thing, and so does Uplay. Other than that, no other info is touched.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Swore that Origin was effectively a mass of spyware according to reports that reports on almost everything in your computer to EA?
That's only if you give consent to give Origin to scan your system.

896a9c7ad1.png

That image was made by an anti-EA circlejerker, and the image that gets posted is pretty old as well
These are my results, it then started to detect games I've installed, it was strictly Origin
B1rxpik.png

Here's the lengthier result (mediafire)

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well it used to do some stuff that people really didn't like... Like grabbing your email address and sending you email even if you never provided that exact email address. Things of that nature, kind of creep people out.

A friend of mine only provided one of his alternate email addresses and used that to sign up. Then he started getting his origin mail at his main account, then he asked them to stop sending him mail to the account several times. Not sure if they ever resolved that issue.

Edit: I think it's completely better now though, and I believe it's on par with Steam in many ways. I use them both these days and I have no complaints about either one so far.

Edit 2: By complaints I mean personally I have never had anything bad happen to me, second hand complaints from when it first started out? I don't really consider those complaints, more of an explanation of why some people dislike it to this day.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, that was what some news site said that blew it waaaay out of proportion from what it actually does, and then everyone just followed suit because "lol ea worse than hitler :cry:".

Wait. It's not? Cause I know for certain the Wii-U Statement retraction happened. And the lies about the Sim City 4(?) Offline mode. And DRM hijynx...

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Has anyone here problems with the High Quality Shadows?
On new Nvidia drivers it looks like this and the issue is on new AMD drivers too.

Set shadows to Medium. It is a known issue with the new drivers on both sides.
They don't support the old Shader.... sadly :(
NVIDIA nor AMD will fix it.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried to load up The Sims 2 I got from Origin (was going to fix the lighting thing while I was reading about, or else I would never remember to come back here for the fix and instead would spend 15 minutes reading random web pages on google...)

Crashes at some splash screen talking about Sims pets or some shiz.

Ahh well I guess I can probably fix it... probably some .ini file configured like crap.

Edit: Not sure what the problem is... Anyone know how to get Origin to do a check or redownload it?

Edit 2: OK if you open Origin, go to my games, right click the game you can click "Check for updates" at that point it will do some sort of check on your game. Maybe will work now it says it updated something or other.

GamerzHell9137

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I just tried to load up The Sims 2 I got from Origin (was going to fix the lighting thing while I was reading about, or else I would never remember to come back here for the fix and instead would spend 15 minutes reading random web pages on google...)

Crashes at some splash screen talking about Sims pets or some shiz.

Ahh well I guess I can probably fix it... probably some .ini file configured like crap.

Edit: Not sure what the problem is... Anyone know how to get Origin to do a check or redownload it?

Edit 2: OK if you open Origin, go to my games, right click the game you can click "Check for updates" at that point it will do some sort of check on your game. Maybe will work now it says it updated something or other.

The game works fine for me, try repairing your game.
I'm on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it