EA dropping Medal of Honor franchise

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it comes to the modern military FPS realm, you've got the competition of Call of Duty, Battlefield, Homefront, and Medal of Honor. However, it seems the firefight may become one smaller, as Electronic Arts is dropping the Medal of Honor franchise following the release of Warfighter.

According to EA Operating Officer Peter Moore, the issue comes from the "lack of combat authenticity...not [resonating] with customers." In his words, "The game was solid, but the focus on combat authenticity did not resonate with consumers." Moore went on to say "Critics were polarized and gave the game scores which were, frankly, lower than it deserved."

Medal of Honor has been a somewhat long running franchise of FPS games since the original Playstation. The series received a reboot a couple years back, shedding its WWII era skin in favor of a more realistic modern war perspective. The reboot and its sequel, Warfighter, received mediocre reviews from critics, albeit the first game selling over a million copies.

EA still has their foot in the FPS door however, with Battlefield still remaining popular and the upcoming Crysis 3 for a more sci-fi take on the genre.

:arrow: Source

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Now I'm hoping CoD will follow suit and the game stores nearby will stock up the games I actually want for a change. xP

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Probably one of the best PS1 games ever, especially as a kid of roughly 10 years old at the time! Still I'm with Foxi4 here in regards to EA doing this themselves..

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
with a name like "warfighter" of course people will know that you didn't put any effort into the game...
guess we'll never get to play medal of honor: gunshooter or soldiercommander

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, this is kinda sad. I LOVED the first one, and thought it honestly did a solid job of selling the horror of war. Then Warfighter... oh dear god why.

Oh well, one less FPS to be called "faggot" on.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Was never a fan of MoH myself. It just looked to be the same as everything else.
It would help if EA would hold off butchering their PC sales by allowing Steam to carry their games instead of using Origin. Because...well, who the fuck uses Origin. I re-bought Alice: Madness Returns just so I could load it from Steam and not Origin.

I'm waiting for Crysis to follow suit after it was essentially murdered as well.
...and Battlefield for numerous reasons.

Basically EA is poison.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Medal of Honor I thought was a good series up until the mid to late life cycle of the Gamecube and PS2, there were some pretty decent games in the franchise. EA has pretty much ruined it like every other cash cow they have milked over the years.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Subject: Free Tip

Dear EA,

Instead of dropping the franchise, send it back into the WWII era. But instead of making a WWII game, make up your own game that looks like WWII. Modern combat is boring already. WWII has been done to death. So you could change up the formula. Call of Duty and Battlefield are doing it with the modern stuff making up their own stories, you could do it too in the WWII type setting.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's nothing to do with the customer, the game was poorly reviewed because of the bugs and how dull the game was. The whole launch was a fucking mess and they are lucky that it sold as much as it did.

This was once a golden franchise but EA thought to rip off Call of Duty, which itself ripped off Medal of Honour (Activision even head hunted the same people who did Allied Assault) but rather than keep the atmosphere and gameplay that the series was famous for and put it in a "modern" era they just a "grittier" and "more realistic" version which wasn't really gritty or realistic.

It's a damn shame that they killed it by going modern but then why should they give a fuck, they have Battlefield which sells a lot and gets more like CoD with each title.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
with a name like "warfighter" of course people will know that you didn't put any effort into the game... guess we'll never get to play medal of honor: gunshooter or soldiercommander
...Warfighter is a word, y'know.
It's still a fucking retarded word and it makes the whole game sound so much more macho and actiony than its so called "authentic" action.
You know what sounds retarded?

Bravely Default.

Oh, and Revengeance.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
it's funny that capcom is thinking about rebooting and ea is thinking about dropping. MoH has been my fav shooting/war game. frontline was fantastic even though it was simple.
now it's about showy graphics and 6hrs of gameplay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte