EA dropping Medal of Honor franchise

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Jan 31, 2013.

Jan 31, 2013
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    When it comes to the modern military FPS realm, you've got the competition of Call of Duty, Battlefield, Homefront, and Medal of Honor. However, it seems the firefight may become one smaller, as Electronic Arts is dropping the Medal of Honor franchise following the release of Warfighter.

According to EA Operating Officer Peter Moore, the issue comes from the "lack of combat authenticity...not [resonating] with customers." In his words, "The game was solid, but the focus on combat authenticity did not resonate with consumers." Moore went on to say "Critics were polarized and gave the game scores which were, frankly, lower than it deserved."

Medal of Honor has been a somewhat long running franchise of FPS games since the original Playstation. The series received a reboot a couple years back, shedding its WWII era skin in favor of a more realistic modern war perspective. The reboot and its sequel, Warfighter, received mediocre reviews from critics, albeit the first game selling over a million copies.

EA still has their foot in the FPS door however, with Battlefield still remaining popular and the upcoming Crysis 3 for a more sci-fi take on the genre.

:arrow: Source

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Well, if you made Medal of Honor games like you used to, in an entirely different setting, perhaps you wouldn't alienate its entire fanbase, huh EA?

HMM! I wonder why it flopped so bad? :angry:

ferofax, Vinnymac, ekko25 and 2 others like this.
  3. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    never played any MoH... no loss for me.

4. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    Let the milking of Battlefield begin. Well, even more milking.

5. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Now I'm hoping CoD will follow suit and the game stores nearby will stock up the games I actually want for a change. xP

6. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    After Warfighter, they could drop it down a well for all I care.

Psionic Roshambo and Qtis like this.
  7. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Probably one of the best PS1 games ever, especially as a kid of roughly 10 years old at the time! Still I'm with Foxi4 here in regards to EA doing this themselves..

8. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Medal of Honor certainly went to shit with its reboot, so this isn't surprising to me.

9. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    with a name like "warfighter" of course people will know that you didn't put any effort into the game...
    guess we'll never get to play medal of honor: gunshooter or soldiercommander

10. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    ...Warfighter is a word, y'know.

11. Warrior522

Member Warrior522 "In all things, balance."

United States
    Honestly, this is kinda sad. I LOVED the first one, and thought it honestly did a solid job of selling the horror of war. Then Warfighter... oh dear god why.

Oh well, one less FPS to be called "faggot" on.

12. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    Oh the time I spent Playing Medal Of Honor: Rising Sun on my old XBox. Those were the times. For shame that they had to try and change everything up, Medal of Honor was a really good series.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  13. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    thanks for killing medal of honor EA asses

14. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Was never a fan of MoH myself. It just looked to be the same as everything else.
    It would help if EA would hold off butchering their PC sales by allowing Steam to carry their games instead of using Origin. Because...well, who the fuck uses Origin. I re-bought Alice: Madness Returns just so I could load it from Steam and not Origin.

I'm waiting for Crysis to follow suit after it was essentially murdered as well.
    ...and Battlefield for numerous reasons.

Basically EA is poison.

EZ-Megaman and Phoenix Goddess like this.
  15. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Medal of Honor I thought was a good series up until the mid to late life cycle of the Gamecube and PS2, there were some pretty decent games in the franchise. EA has pretty much ruined it like every other cash cow they have milked over the years.

16. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It's still a fucking retarded word and it makes the whole game sound so much more macho and actiony than its so called "authentic" action.

17. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Subject: Free Tip

Dear EA,

Instead of dropping the franchise, send it back into the WWII era. But instead of making a WWII game, make up your own game that looks like WWII. Modern combat is boring already. WWII has been done to death. So you could change up the formula. Call of Duty and Battlefield are doing it with the modern stuff making up their own stories, you could do it too in the WWII type setting.

18. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    It's nothing to do with the customer, the game was poorly reviewed because of the bugs and how dull the game was. The whole launch was a fucking mess and they are lucky that it sold as much as it did.

This was once a golden franchise but EA thought to rip off Call of Duty, which itself ripped off Medal of Honour (Activision even head hunted the same people who did Allied Assault) but rather than keep the atmosphere and gameplay that the series was famous for and put it in a "modern" era they just a "grittier" and "more realistic" version which wasn't really gritty or realistic.

It's a damn shame that they killed it by going modern but then why should they give a fuck, they have Battlefield which sells a lot and gets more like CoD with each title.

19. Densetsu

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    You know what sounds retarded?

Bravely Default.

Oh, and Revengeance.

20. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    it's funny that capcom is thinking about rebooting and ea is thinking about dropping. MoH has been my fav shooting/war game. frontline was fantastic even though it was simple.
    now it's about showy graphics and 6hrs of gameplay.