EA announces development of 3 new 'Star Wars' titles from Respawn Entertainment

EA Star Wars.png

Following some uncertainties regarding future Star Wars titles being developed by EA, the publisher cleared these doubts today. In a press release, EA announced that not one but 3 titles set in the Star Wars universe are being developed in-house.

The development studio in question is Respawn Entertainment which worked on Apex Legends, Titanfall and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. The three titles will be of different genres, namely an action adventure game in the Star Wars Jedi series, a first-person shooter and a strategy game (in collaboration with the newly formed studio Bit Reactor).

EA's announcement notes that work has already begun on all 3 upcoming games and that Respawn is looking for talent to join the teams.

:arrow: SOURCE

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why salt, Fallen Order was extremely well received.
It was blatantly chasing the dark souls meme, and the only reason Android Wilson of EA allowed it to exist (given his well documented contempt for single-player and story-driven games), was both to try and appease Disney (too little, too late) after Lootbox 2, and because I guarantee you EA was planning to fill it with monetization out the ass... stuff like "Pay $1800 to pass the first level" degrees of skullduggery and Skinner box tactics.

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It was blatantly chasing the dark souls meme, and the only reason Android Wilson of EA allowed it to exist (given his well documented contempt for single-player and story-driven games), was both to try and appease Disney (too little, too late) after Lootbox 2, and because I guarantee you EA was planning to fill it with monetization out the ass... stuff like "Pay $1800 to pass the first level" degrees of skullduggery and Skinner box tactics.
That certainly didn't answer my question. The game was well received, so why salt ?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That certainly didn't answer my question. The game was well received, so why salt ?
Given the politicking that was going on after the release of lootbox 2, one can tell the only reason JFO was allowed to exist was because they (EA) were trying to throw a bone out there to appease Disney's dissatisfaction at their utter failure to publish anything good with that exclusivity arrangement.

Given EA's notorious oversight, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the game was allowed to be a souls-like for the express purpose to monetize the crap out of surviving it enough to see the end at all.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I love how they specify that they'll be handled by Respawn, like they admit "Yeah, we know these are the people that made the game that people liked out of the gate, so they'll handle everything!". Not complaining, Fallen Order was one of the best games in recent years.
star wars squadrons was not made by respawn and it was well received also, people just assume EA means bad but the last 2 star wars games were great, no micro transactions, complete on release and such.

But yeah handling 3 totaly diferent games to the same studio is kinda odd, im guessing they will be working with star wars for like 9 years or so, since they cant develop 3 games at once, unless in some games they are just supervisors and another studio helps out.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Given the politicking that was going on after the release of lootbox 2, one can tell the only reason JFO was allowed to exist was because they (EA) were trying to throw a bone out there to appease Disney's dissatisfaction at their utter failure to publish anything good with that exclusivity arrangement.

Given EA's notorious oversight, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the game was allowed to be a souls-like for the express purpose to monetize the crap out of surviving it enough to see the end at all.
EA made star wars squadrons right after and it was still a good star wars game, no idea why you think they were unsatisfied with the last 2 star wars games...

if this 3 follow the trend of the last 2 it will be great for star wars fans imo.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA made star wars squadrons right after and it was still a good star wars game, no idea why you think they were unsatisfied with the last 2 star wars games...

if this 3 follow the trend of the last 2 it will be great for star wars fans imo.
Souls likes are games tailor made to piss me off into rage quitting. Which is a damned shame because, I did see a YouTube of the cut scenes clipped together into a pseudo movie and it's honestly a good story. But knowing Wilson, I guarantee that it was only allowed to exist and release because upper management was expecting to stock the thing with micro transactions out the ass.

Never had even the first inclination to look at Squadrons.

The problem, is ea. Their management cannot be trusted. And after lootbox 2, I'm beyond stunned that Disney didn't just up and ban them from making star wars games.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More lootbox action and microtransactions i suppose. Hope they don't butcher the Fallen Order genre.
I'd wager butchering it was the plan from the start.

Wilson has gone on record multiple times to express his distaste for singleplayer and narrative-driven games. Unless it's a CoD or pay2win, he can't be arsed to care or market it at all, as seen with Titanfall.

EA's history makes it more surprising that they haven't already dissolved Bioware, both for not knocking out a home run with SWTOR, but also the fallout surrounding Anthem.

Knowing the single molecule that serves Android Wilson's brain matter and programming, he's probably chomping at the bit at being able to turn bioware's studio space into a parking lot for his next Yacht or something dumb like that. But between the threat of political action to make such gaming illegal, and the vocal discontent from Disney, that was basically the only reason JFO was allowed to be produced at all. That and, he probably saw potential to do stuff like "buy five lootboxes for a guaranteed heal at this boss!" kind of junk. And before anyone tries to defend it, EA has a known history for this kind of crap. If you're actually going to try and defend EA's business to me, I'm going to need to tell you to sit down and be quiet.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'd wager butchering it was the plan from the start.

Wilson has gone on record multiple times to express his distaste for singleplayer and narrative-driven games. Unless it's a CoD or pay2win, he can't be arsed to care or market it at all, as seen with Titanfall.

EA's history makes it more surprising that they haven't already dissolved Bioware, both for not knocking out a home run with SWTOR, but also the fallout surrounding Anthem.

Knowing the single molecule that serves Android Wilson's brain matter and programming, he's probably chomping at the bit at being able to turn bioware's studio space into a parking lot for his next Yacht or something dumb like that. But between the threat of political action to make such gaming illegal, and the vocal discontent from Disney, that was basically the only reason JFO was allowed to be produced at all. That and, he probably saw potential to do stuff like "buy five lootboxes for a guaranteed heal at this boss!" kind of junk. And before anyone tries to defend it, EA has a known history for this kind of crap. If you're actually going to try and defend EA's business to me, I'm going to need to tell you to sit down and be quiet.
fallen order sold over 10 million units it was not a disaster lol
And no game on console does buy 5 lootbox ro respawn kind of deal lol, that is what happens in mobile gaming, console games dont go that aggressive at all.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fallen order sold over 10 million units it was not a disaster lol
And no game on console does buy 5 lootbox ro respawn kind of deal lol, that is what happens in mobile gaming, console games dont go that aggressive at all.
Unless it sold 10 million a day, Wilson would absolutely see it as a disaster, and attempt to use JFO as a tax write-off. He's one of those idiot CEO's that unless it's making all of the money, it's a failure by default.

And once again, EA. They literally tried to do this with Lootbox 2, to the point a redditor, of ALL people, did the math and found you had to have divine luck to even be able to unlock all possible multiplayer character skins at $2100 per player under the original system. Yes, Android Wilson actually believed he could con that much out of everyone playing that turd.

JFO being a souls-like was entirely to make that kind of brazen monetization seem tame. His history and his attitudes do not garner him even a picosecond of trust or "benefit of the doubt." Until he's either dead or yanked off the company, EA is not to be trusted. Activision tried to sell the remaster of crash team racing all untouched only to ruin it within a month with loot boxes and microtransactions. EA is absolutely within its level of cynicism to do the same to every game they release.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Unless it sold 10 million a day, Wilson would absolutely see it as a disaster, and attempt to use JFO as a tax write-off. He's one of those idiot CEO's that unless it's making all of the money, it's a failure by default.

And once again, EA. They literally tried to do this with Lootbox 2, to the point a redditor, of ALL people, did the math and found you had to have divine luck to even be able to unlock all possible multiplayer character skins at $2100 per player under the original system. Yes, Android Wilson actually believed he could con that much out of everyone playing that turd.

JFO being a souls-like was entirely to make that kind of brazen monetization seem tame. His history and his attitudes do not garner him even a picosecond of trust or "benefit of the doubt." Until he's either dead or yanked off the company, EA is not to be trusted. Activision tried to sell the remaster of crash team racing all untouched only to ruin it within a month with loot boxes and microtransactions. EA is absolutely within its level of cynicism to do the same to every game they release.
you are just turning company's into monsters lol, you don't need everything in a game when 99% are just dumb cosmetics,i don't understand why people need to pay for everything, the base games are good altogether, even crash team racing the base game has the first 2 games remade and pretty damn good,w hat they did after makes no difference people bought the game for the base game and no one needs to keep paying to continue getting cosmetic crap.

10 million units sold already gave it a pretty good profit.
And you are talking about making stuff up saying they werent happy with JFO becuase it had not dlc or lootboxes when there is no indication of it so your just making baseless assumptions.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are just turning company's into monsters lol, you don't need everything in a game when 99% are just dumb cosmetics,i don't understand why people need to pay for everything, the base games are good altogether, even crash team racing the base game has the first 2 games remade and pretty damn good,w hat they did after makes no difference people bought the game for the base game and no one needs to keep paying to continue getting cosmetic crap.

10 million units sold already gave it a pretty good profit.
And you are talking about making stuff up saying they werent happy with JFO becuase it had not dlc or lootboxes when there is no indication of it so your just making baseless assumptions.
I don't have to turn ea into a monster. They do that well enough on their own.

The amount of studios they've absorbed and killed off is second to the number of projects google has killed because it wasn't an instant success. Ea buys a studio, eventually forces them to do something they're not good at, and then when the sales reflect the failure, they glass their acquisition into a new parking lot.

Ea has a history of such abuse of its staff, for longer than Activision blizzard, take two and Rock star, and Ubisoft combined.

Andrew (Android) Wilson has a history of contempt for any game he can't immediately monetize. He's said as much himself in public interviews. Which beggars the mind even more that they were able to seduce their way into exclusivity for star wars games from Disney.

The amount of games released in a ten year period when Lucas Games was still a thing? Around 20 (~2 per year). All ea gave us in the same time period, was a game so infested with loot boxes, that there was a very real threat of political action to criminalize the practice. I only wish it did, because it would wipe out the toxicity of the mobile game ecosystem overnight.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16