jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
So yesterday i was playing tiger woods 10 and noticed lots of weird artifacts on the golfers and i knew my 360 was going to die shortly, so i turned it off and then on again and sure enough it gave me the e74 error...I used to old towel trick and its working again but i just wanted to know does that mean an x clamp fix is likely to fix this problem?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As you might know from my posts in the X360 section, I repair broken 360s quite often, and with good results, most of the times.

From this experience I can say that there's no real way to completely fix the E74 error. I had to throw some 360s out of the window because of that error.

Heck, I even reflowed one entirely using a Hot Air gun, it worked for some days, then... E74 error. Obviously I also tried every X-Clamp fix method known to humanity.

I guess the only way to repair it would be professionally reballing the HANA, but even then, I'm not really sure it'll last, and other than that, it's a costly operation.

Sorry to give you those news.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yup. I even have a broken X360 with E74 right now. It was a 360 manufactured in 2005 (they're the better ones, actually, because the (H)ANA isn't BGA but PGA) that I did repair 2 years ago from RROD. It endured till now, then died of E74. Still it already had 1.5years on it (it was a used one) so I guess it worked for ~4 years. A record, I guess
tongue.gif

I still have it only because it's unbanned. I might end up using its ConsoleID to unban some 360s if the exploit really gets released.

Yeah, 360s build quality is total crap. Enjoy your PS3
smile.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was getting artifacts too except the video would just cut out after a while of lots of articfacts and discoloration
I would never receive any error message or anything

x-clamp fixed it though

jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
well ive played it for about 6 hours today and no problem so far...no doubt it'll die shortly tho.

Seriously i really enjoy the 360 and xbox live anr the marketplace just i kinda feel like i keep pissing money away buy continuing to buy a product that i know is more than likely going to die.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's really sucky. I can see why your pissed. I mean MS just sent it back, and basically they didn't do anything to it.

What i would have done is keeping sending the fucker back and forth till they got it right. If you still have the warranty for it, send it back whilst your having fun on your PS3, it would be a waste not to.

mind informing how long your 360 will last before you get e74 again ?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
jaxxster said:
Just done the towel trick again and its not giving me e74...i just really wanna play batman and seeing as im skint i cant get a new 360 till i get a new job which i hope is soon cos fifa 10 is out shortly
Good. I hope it works a lil better for you, at least till you get a new 360
smile.gif

QUOTE(Maz7006 @ Aug 22 2009, 10:36 PM) ahhh that just sucks. isn't there a perm fix for e74 AT ALL. I mean how does MS fix it, do they just send you a new box ?
I guess they just trash the motherboard. Otherwise they could just reball it entirely. That should fix it, but it's probably more costly than a new motherboard.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Toweltrick is only good for a few hours/days, then you will get the erroro again.

Most solutions the offer on the internet last with luck a year (or more if you are very lucky)
and a few do really help longer... (read fix/solve it (with ???)

I fixed a few x360's and only 1 still runs after 3 year, but all the rest died in the end
I myself have my 4'th X360, most didn't last 2 year, this last one is not yet a year old, so
i keep in mind that it will die in 90% of my case, and it will be the last one, after that i'll just
stick with my ps3 and Wii for home consoles.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea dont bother with the towel trick, you just end up wrecking the system even more for only a few hours of game play

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse