Gaming e74 Error Fix Guide?

planetofthemage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently picked up an xbox360 which I discovered has an e74, and has been out of warranty for over a year. I am looking for a guide (video or text) which shows how to _permanently_ fix this error. I looked around on youtube, but every guide seemed to say something different or only show some of the steps. Does anyone else know where there is a comprehensive guide to fixing this?

kamins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There's no guide for fixing e74 or rrod permanently and there never will be, your best choice is to reball gpu and cpu with leaded solder, resolder ana/hana chip and maybe add extra cooling. Which you should entrust to a professional unless you can do any of those things.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
E74: I/O Hardware Error - HSIO related, could be crc error, or many things: There is high chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip near the AV cable connection) it can also be caused by a faulty AV cable so check that first. Microsoft covers this error under their 3-year warranty, this is availble to anyone who hasn't modified their console. contact MS to get a free replacement console before attempting to fix this yourself. Failing that this error In some cases it is a problem with the GPU and may be repairable by doing the x-clamp replacement (see error 0102).

0102 See Error E18.

E18: Error in the "Digital Backbone" (CPU/GPU/RAM), this is usually caused by a cold solder joint between the GPU and the mainboard.
There are two theories to fixing this one deals with the "X" clamps that hold down the chips. The other involves re-Heating the chips. DO NOT attempt either of these if your console is still under warranty. If your console is still under warranty return it to the store where it was purchased or call MS to have it replaced. -Xbox Scene

planetofthemage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a year out of warranty and I don't have a hundred bucks to fix it (I'm a poor poor student.) I know its a problem with the chip and not the cables (i tested it with cables from a friend and it did the same thing. I want a fix that will last at least a couple weeks and will avoid damaging it any further (towel trick).

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll tell you what I know. I've fixed about 6 of these RROD.
The error is generally caused by the X-clamps pulling so hard at the motherboard that they bend it away so that the pins of the GPU don't touch the solder on the motherboard any longer.

This isn't comprehensive but it's an overview.

Required item:
Thermal Grease
x1 - Wagner HT1000 heat gun
x8 - Machine Pan Screws - 5mm x 10mm - Home Depot UPC 030699 801282
x8 - Washers - Steel 5mm - UPC 030699 363087
x16 - Washers - Nylon #10 - UPC 030699 869381

1) Disassemble XBOX 360.
2) Remove the Xclamps and throw away.
- YouTube for the easiest method.
3) Use GooGone or rubbing alcohol with Q-tip to clean old thermal grease from the heat sinks and CPU + GPU.
- Make sure you leave the CPU / GPU with a completely new mirror finish.
4) Cut hole out of a sheet of foil big enough so you can see the CPU and GPU through it and lay it on top of bottom of motherboard.
5) Turn on heat gun to high, run it back and forth in rows over motherboard in rows, then do so in the other orientation (first vertically, then horizontally), then make small circles around the CPU about 5 times, then the GPU. Then start the process over. Do this for 3 minutes.
- Let it sit for an hour. Don't even remove the foil. Moving anything might warp the board.
6) Repeat steps 4 and 5 on the top of the motherboard.
7) Put thermal grease on each processor and spread it into a thin layer using something like a credit card.
8) Put heatsinks back on using the screws and washers in this order: screw > n. washer > motherboard > n. washer > s. washer > heat sink
- Screw it in until it gives resistance, but don't tighten.
9) Turn XBOX 360 on (don't plug fan in) and let sit until you see only two red lights blinking, then let it sit for 45 seconds and turn it off.
- Let sit for 30 minutes.
10) Reassemble XBOX 360 and enjoy!

Take note some people recommend not using this method as it may cause damage to the motherboard. I personally have fixed several this way, and there are plenty of other people online that have as well. I've never heard of someone actually damaging their XBOX this way, although I'm sure there are some.

People will also say that this isn't a good fix because it's basically a poor man's reflow/reballing. Which I guess is true considering proper reflow stations can cost over $1,000.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've "repaired" loads of E74s, just to seem them break again weeks later.

Trust me, there's no good fix for E74 out there, and I've also tried heatgunning the motherboards and the HANA. The only good fix for it is to reball it.

X-Clamps might work for a bit of time, but I've never seen them work as "definitive".

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You replace clamps with the x clamp fix which are screws and washers. just google x-clamp fix. Foil is a heat shield lke tk_saturn said, to protect against unsoldering any other components and preventing caps from popping.

if heatgunning you will want the whole motherboard to be the same temperature or the motherboard will bend and other components may desolder.

x-clamp may not fix e74 as it could also be the ana/hana chip which is a square chip on the left under the white plastic air directing piece.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in my area there's a guy who reflowed mine for 40 bucks. when you consider that i only payed 45 for the 360, i'm still doing pretty well.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
From what I've read, doing the Xclamp fix, + adding some extra cooling (get some old computer fans, if you're a real nerd, you have them lying around your house everywhere like me
tongue.gif
), make a better airflow, mod the case a little, etc. Will help.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah remove the foil when done.
tongue.gif
'

And as I've said, I've fixed at least 6 like this.
Of course 1 RROD again 6 months latter.

But the other ones have been going strong. Longest one is 2 years now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hii