E3: PlayStation partnering with "leading cloud gaming service"

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 3,033
  • Replies 38
D

Deleted_171835

OP

In an article about what to expect from E3 2012, VG27 may have just revealed an interesting bit of news, that being a partnership with Sony and a cloud-gaming service.

Big core games on the small screen will be a focus for Sony this year, but, again, expect solidity rather than megatonnage. You may well be blown away by what’s on show, but it’s doubtful you’re going to be too shocked by any of the announcements.

Apart from the partnership deal between PlayStation and a leading cloud gaming service, obviously.

http://www.vg247.com...ox-720-and-ps4/

That's not it either. There have been hints given out by a Playstation Plus content manager and a journalist at Eurogamer.

And now there's a translation of a quote in a Gaiki invitation.

Gaikai has major announcements for E3, which has the potential to change the future of video game, the game consoles and the way in which we play.
http://www.gameblog....deo-chez-gaikai

This all seems to point to a partnership between Gaikai (think Onlive) and Sony for game streaming support for PS+ subscribers. If you have a solid internet connection, streaming full console titles onto a Vita would be pretty awesome. Or even playing Sony titles with Gaikai on other devices with internet access!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure why'd they'd go into cloud gaming unless their next console is based on it, but the news here leads to more like cloud gaming being available on the PS3/Vita/whatever.

Really don't see the point though, there's only a few titles on cloud gaming services that you can't just play on your PS3 (and they're basically just PC games). Plus they'd rather want to pursue the native power of the PS3/Vita instead of wasting time with cloud gaming.

I'm curious to see what it is.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So being able to store games on a server and play them on your PS3 is changing the industry? Cool, but I don't get how its that big a deal.

Well if they're talking "cloud gaming" services like OnLive and such, then it's storing the entire game on a server and processing it at the same location. This means that at-home specs are essentially useless (outside of minimal specs for getting the program working), piracy is basically impossible, and you no longer need to install games or switch discs (so you don't have to switch the disc every time you play a game or wait hours for a game to download and install).

Cloud gaming is a rather large innovation to the industry (well, if it catches on that is).

D

Deleted_171835

OP
I'm not sure why'd they'd go into cloud gaming unless their next console is based on it, but the news here leads to more like cloud gaming being available on the PS3/Vita/whatever.

Really don't see the point though, there's only a few titles on cloud gaming services that you can't just play on your PS3 (and they're basically just PC games). Plus they'd rather want to pursue the native power of the PS3/Vita instead of wasting time with cloud gaming.

What intrigues me more is the possibility of playing PS3 games on any device with access to Gaikai. Imagine being able to start Uncharted 3 on your PS3, continue it on your PC, play a bit more on your Xperia Play or Vita and then go back to playing it on the PS3. It's like an evolution of the transfarring concept.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What intrigues me more is the possibility of playing PS3 games on any device with access to Gaikai. Imagine being able to start Uncharted 3 on your PS3, continue it on your PC, play a bit more on your Xperia Play or Vita and then go back to playing it on the PS3. It's like an evolution of the transfarring concept.
OH! So kind of like Crossplay for the Vita right? Sounds cool :D

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And people thought it was OnLive that will be helping Sony...psssh! I knew it was Gaikai. It just fits their model. Now if you excuse me, I have games to play on OnLive :D

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Cool I guess if you have a PS3 and a PSV. Cross-play, cloud saves, cloud music, ...., all things that sort of interest me and attract me in the likes of Steam and so. Especially cloud saves and settings are so handy.

Reactions: 1 person

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
This is not a very good strategy, while it will take away piracy (this doesn't mean more sales) , it will have strong repercussions on hardware sales.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it would be really funny if there was no big announcement, and Sony was just trolling its customers to drive up the sales numbers on Playstation Plus.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

PC? Doubt it, it's like saying if X-360 or Wii-U had Gaikai, you could continue your PS3 games there. I think it will be restricted to Playstation hardwares.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind storing games and saves on the cloud but streaming, hold it, it's not a good idea to have this right now as a standalone source of a console at least until 5-15 years from now when most of the world has 10-20 mb/s internet. Also warnings on these services, no fine print, everything the customer needs to know should be written in big text so that the uneducated, idiotic, or oblivious will read it.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could sony be deciding to build servers for onlive like service that gets used threw the ps3 instead of making a new console?

This is exactly what I think will happen. Why bother with making a new console when the PS3 is more than capable of streaming such games via cloud. Also they can even add cross game chat to the cloud side of their service! Im in no way a Sony fan but this would be very interesting to see.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is exactly what I think will happen. Why bother with making a new console when the PS3 is more than capable of streaming such games via cloud. Also they can even add cross game chat to the cloud side of their service! Im in no way a Sony fan but this would be very interesting to see.

Seems kinda impractical to make a PS3 a streaming platform. It's still like $250 for the console while an OnLive console is like $100 or something. Sure, you get a lot of other features with the PS3 and Sony is a much larger name than OnLive, but it still seems impractical.

Plus cloud gaming, while definitely having a promising future, isn't in the now. A lot of people still can't use it with limited or poor internet connections. Once we see a rise in fast anywhere internet (like I think 4G can handle game streaming) and internet becomes easily unlimited in more countries, you may see game streaming coming to light. For now though, people still prefer their traditional consoles.

Reactions: 3 people

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I agree that right now it seems impractical but think about it. Over the next few years, the price of making a PS3 will drop even further. This also gives Sony the chance to make one last revision to the PS3. A revision that is even smaller and maybe runs on flash memory with the ability to use USB hard drives, effectively cutting the cost of a PS3 by a lot.

Seems kinda impractical to make a PS3 a streaming platform. It's still like $250 for the console while an OnLive console is like $100 or something. Sure, you get a lot of other features with the PS3 and Sony is a much larger name than OnLive, but it still seems impractical.

Plus cloud gaming, while definitely having a promising future, isn't in the now. A lot of people still can't use it with limited or poor internet connections. Once we see a rise in fast anywhere internet (like I think 4G can handle game streaming) and internet becomes easily unlimited in more countries, you may see game streaming coming to light. For now though, people still prefer their traditional consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended