• Views 3,044
  • Replies 38

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if $ony is thinking of copying onlive for their next console or something similair it will be the worst mistake they ever make. don't expect to sell many ps4 in australia than.

Wanderman_Trigge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haves anybody thought this thru??? say you have a veta and go somewhere (camping for exmpl.) if you don't have a connection,you don't have games to play and that nice peace of hardware is JUST a brick. look at diablo 3 and there "cloud" game and how far it got in the first week...not to mention if the locle internet server gos down (say...from a storm ) YOUR F***ED

B-Blue

slut
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Antarctica
haves anybody thought this thru??? say you have a veta and go somewhere (camping for exmpl.) if you don't have a connection,you don't have games to play and that nice peace of hardware is JUST a brick. look at diablo 3 and there "cloud" game and how far it got in the first week...not to mention if the locle internet server gos down (say...from a storm ) YOUR F***ED

wut

Reactions: 3 people

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is exactly what I think will happen. Why bother with making a new console when the PS3 is more than capable of streaming such games via cloud. Also they can even add cross game chat to the cloud side of their service! Im in no way a Sony fan but this would be very interesting to see.

Seems kinda impractical to make a PS3 a streaming platform. It's still like $250 for the console while an OnLive console is like $100 or something. Sure, you get a lot of other features with the PS3 and Sony is a much larger name than OnLive, but it still seems impractical.

Plus cloud gaming, while definitely having a promising future, isn't in the now. A lot of people still can't use it with limited or poor internet connections. Once we see a rise in fast anywhere internet (like I think 4G can handle game streaming) and internet becomes easily unlimited in more countries, you may see game streaming coming to light. For now though, people still prefer their traditional consoles.

Maybe they'll make the games for sale for both the ps3 and ps cloud gaming? I'm gonna think out side the box here:
I could be wrong but isn't the usb ports on the ps3 usb/strata hybrids? Remember the patent for the "processor" box everyone thought was for making the system ps2 compatible by taking advantage of those ports. Could sony plan on selling an separate cpu and gpu as an upgrade for the ps3? Then you would have two ways to play "next playstation" games. Either with the upgrade kit or through the cloud.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing Sony, who is known for having some pretty great hardware, is just making it an option. And Diablo 3 wasn't a cloud game. At all. You had to download it and everything. It was an always-online game, which is significantly more awful of a practice than cloud gaming. Have you TRIED OnLive? It's a pretty nice service, and I could see some advantages for Sony if they had something like that going on. And the Vita's already released. Pretty sure you don't need a connection for that, because this isn't even occurring yet.

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
well cloud gaming can help you play games that your pc can't handle/store but what about crappy internet connections?
the load times would take too much time and there are also games that load constant data so it will be laggy.
cloud gaming won't be for everyone as far as i see.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
cloud gaming won't be for everyone as far as i see.
Technically it's just a new option as far as I can see. It's not like they've released the thing with everything needed to make it work? I'll wait and see what kind of a connection is required to run the games. Sure it's not as great as a disc, but sure you can get quite a lot more power out of the PS3 if the processing was mostly done elsewhere on a server.

Reactions: 1 person

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just thought of this. What if sony is doing this just so they and others don't have to make MMOs twice? While I enjoyed DCUonline for awhile, the ps3 version has had people hacking the system very easily for free premium. when I first played it the ps3 version had heavily lag spikes in certain areas even when the server load was small. There is other documented glitches exclusively in the ps3 version. I have not experienced that many myself but they are supposedly there. Wasn't their also heavy glitches in the ps2 version of ff11? This could solve the issue by letting others play the pc versions threw the ps3/4.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cloud interaction between the PS3/PS4 and Vita would be good, especially for all the ported games, however there are severe limitations with using cloud service as a method of providing games moving forward unless it's direct to drive like Steam. As has been said many times over the last couple of years, many consumers would be hindered by a cloud service because of bandwidth caps, unless cloud gaming could become free of bandwidth usage by ISP's (not going to happen when they can make more money off larger bandwidth use accounts). The potential and appeal for cloud gaming is there if it wasn't for the fact that many regions in this world still lack both affordable internet services as well as modest download capacities.

But hey, I guess we shall find out at E3.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New rules by the FCC two years ago would of made bandwidth caps and minimizing speeds illegal in NA. But you know some jackasses in businesses got the rulings thrown out.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
So being able to store games on a server and play them on your PS3 is changing the industry? Cool, but I don't get how its that big a deal.

Well if they're talking "cloud gaming" services like OnLive and such, then it's storing the entire game on a server and processing it at the same location. This means that at-home specs are essentially useless (outside of minimal specs for getting the program working), piracy is basically impossible, and you no longer need to install games or switch discs (so you don't have to switch the disc every time you play a game or wait hours for a game to download and install).

Cloud gaming is a rather large innovation to the industry (well, if it catches on that is).
I think what he means is how it's not innovation on Sony's part - it's already been done successfully with OnLive, thus if Sony decide to do it with the PS3 it's not 'industry changing'.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think what he means is how it's not innovation on Sony's part - it's already been done successfully with OnLive, thus if Sony decide to do it with the PS3 it's not 'industry changing'.

I'd say its more of a 'game changer' than innovation. If Sony welcome cloud gaming than we see the one of the established names in gaming adopting a new format of gaming, ahead of their rivals. Sony would be bringing cloud gaming into the mainstream whereas previously with onlive,its been rather niche or fringe among members of the general public.

Reactions: 2 people

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So being able to store games on a server and play them on your PS3 is changing the industry? Cool, but I don't get how its that big a deal.

Well if they're talking "cloud gaming" services like OnLive and such, then it's storing the entire game on a server and processing it at the same location. This means that at-home specs are essentially useless (outside of minimal specs for getting the program working), piracy is basically impossible, and you no longer need to install games or switch discs (so you don't have to switch the disc every time you play a game or wait hours for a game to download and install).

Cloud gaming is a rather large innovation to the industry (well, if it catches on that is).

Yeah, but other then saving system memory and cross-play I don't really see how it would change anything since both Mobile and PC gaming has been done this. Not to say its not a great feature, but I still don't understand where the changing part comes in.

Reactions: 1 person

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't Gaikai a demo-only service for most titles? Compared to OnLive, IMO it is very close to OnLive but the latter is a very brilliant service.

For me, it would be a blast to have OnLive on PS3. It makes sense since you have the hardware: mouse+keyboard compatibility, easily integrated in the XMB and a decent enough library. It would let people play exclusive titles on Xperia Play, Android mobiles, the Vita (or maybe the PSP as well) and finally, with an Xbox controller. The one possibility that I am excited the most is that if I buy a PS3 version of a game, chances are I will get a code for the OnLive version. But I rarely see an OnLive game that requires ONLY a controller, since most of the library allows easy control scheme switching, and most of the games are present on the PC platform.

If they go with Gaikai, I guess it will be used as a demo streaming service for PS3 exclusives. It would be strange to allow people to play Uncharted or Ratchet and Clank with mouse+kb (would be better for shooting games, but it will be strange for me)

I am pumped for this. They might actually go "you can transfer your PS3 saves to the *insert cloud gaming service*'s servers and vice versa". Right now it's hard to tell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyBmc3-J5AM