1. 2,710

Front-page
    e3-logo-656x371.jpg

Last year was the first instance of E3 not taking place during its usual week of early June, where it was instead replaced by a months-long event called Summer Game Fest. It looks like COVID-19 will still impact the conference this year as well, but according to a report, the show must go on. VGC has reported that they've seen insider documents from the ESA, which include plans to take E3 2021 digital. This online event would supposedly last three days and would feature major keynote livestreams from publishers, an awards show, and a game preview night, with smaller conferences from other companies scattered throughout the schedule. The ESA also has plans to distribute game demos to press, so that they would be able to cover new launches and games just as they would during a normal E3 show. Meanwhile, Geoff Keighly's Summer Game Fest is also planned to return in 2021, and will likely compete against E3's all-digital showcase.

:arrow: Source

K3-ICHI-X, raxadian, James_ and 10 others like this.
  2. Discussion (35 replies)

3. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Nyan-binary

United States
    Doesn't sound that bad, mainly experienced e3 online for the past few years and it wasn't all that bad

James_, Orangy57 and Sterophonick like this.
  4. WiiMiiSwitch

WiiMiiSwitch Cryptocurrency

United States
    Always loved E3, however I'd prefer it in person.

5. NNate

NNate GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Eh, not surprising and doesn't really impact how the average person gets their gaming news.

Perhaps impacts smaller, indie creators more?

James_ and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  6. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Well, it'll save these companies some money on disappointing announcements.

7. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja Listening to a song ad nauseam

United Kingdom
    Having summer games fest and e3 at the same time only means having a split amount of showcases between the two. Can’t say I’m too happy about that thought, though I guess since they’re online there won’t be much of a difference between what is shown where.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  8. WiiEJECT

WiiEJECT The One and Only

Argentina
    So... It would be like any other E3, basically.

9. RobXcore

RobXcore Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Chile
    I hope they show something on Metroid Prime 4 after 4 years.

Deleted User likes this.
  10. Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

United States
    Ah bummer. I was going to make this the year I save up and go in person. I have family near where it's usually held and a driver's license, but I guess that dream may have to die.

Less selfishly, this probably means Nintendo won't make a showing since it's practically what happened last year. Sony obviously won't participate either. I'm more than willing to bet we'll see Microsoft though with how much they pander to consumers. I guess it'll be up to the bigger studios to carry the show. Square Enix, Bethesda, Take-Two, Bandai Namco, etc.

11. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    They will find a way to somehow dox people digitally. :lol:

But on a serious note, many big companies can do their own announcements digitally already. Just look at Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. I would expect those big companies will save their big announcements in their own events.

12. NNate

NNate GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't have any concern for the big guys. Just makes it harder for the indie devs I'm guessing

13. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Addict

IIRC/ from what I’ve heard, it’s more the smaller publishers/devs who benefit from an event like E3, this goes beyond basic promotion to the press such as leading to behind closed doors business related matters.

Big companies probably see E3 as more of a formality than anything else.

14. x65943

x65943 the end is nigh, buy doge coin
    Global Moderator

United States
    Woot

Really hoping for more on BOTW2 and Starfield

Maybe Metroid Prime 4? (A man can dream)

15. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    More and more companies were heading the digital route anyway. Makes it all the more weird when Nintendo was the first to go digital for E3 and then didn't have a Direct lined up for E3 time last year when it made most sense to be. Hopefully they have more proper full directs this year, even if they do skip the E3 scheduled time again. I much prefer the Directs of a lot of game news at once over drawn out drops of small amounts of game news over the year.

16. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

awww but how will a group of elite mercenaries infiltrate the show floor and make off with a dump of the BotW 2 demo from right under Nintendos noses, I was hoping for a more successful sequel

James_, Scott_pilgrim, x65943 and 2 others like this.
  17. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Why would we need a dump of a game that will have been out for a couple of months at that point? (Just let me dream)

gamesquest1, Scott_pilgrim and banjo2 like this.
  18. CPG

CPG haggis!

Canada
    don't know if we need e3 anymore tbh

but that is just me

19. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I heard about that as well. What I'm saying is there isn't much benefit for big companies to attend E3 besides to just pop there head in to say hi. But since you mentioned about smaller publishers/devs, I'm sure you also heard back when E3 can be attended in person, big companies would sometimes shop around the floor to check those smaller publishers/devs or that smaller publishers/devs would try to meet up with those big companies. I would imagine this will be a challenge for them to make business deals now with E3 going digital.

tech3475 likes this.
  20. MadMakuFuuma

MadMakuFuuma Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    wen you can get demo from de games online so easily (or the full "grey area" version). yep, i think you're right!

Scott_pilgrim and CPG like this.
  21. RyRyIV

RyRyIV GDDM
    Reviewer

United States
    Sucks for those who were able to regularly go in person. But as someone who has only ever experienced E3 online, I imagine the only difference will be no more obnoxious applause during the keynotes.

James_, Scott_pilgrim and banjo2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - happening, according, digital