E3 2022 to take place online-only due to COVID concerns

Schedule_web.jpg

E3 is going all-digital again this year, following concerns regarding COVID-19 cases increasing. The ESA confirmed to media outlets that E3 2022 will be following in the footsteps of last year's E3 by taking place purely through livestreams of press conferences. This is the third year in a row that COVID has impacted the annual event, with E3 having been entirely canceled in 2020. This change isn't likely to affect the press conferences themselves, as they're usually livestreamed to most viewers, though a digital event means less unique coverage of specific games from media outlets and individual attendees. Right now, another major trade show, CES 2022, is taking place as usual in Las Vegas despite the concerns of recent outbreaks. E3 2022 was initially planned to return to the Los Angeles Convention Center, according to a statement from the ESA last year, but whether or not we'll see a return to an in-person event for E3 conventions in the future remains to be seen.

:arrow: Source

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Lol at this point, 2022 or even mid 2021 it's an excuse, we have vaccines for everyone and if you're really paranoid you have masks, double masks, triple masks etc. So COVID alone is the excuse of the decade.
Covid is still spreading and being vaccinated does not make someone immune to it. People should still continue to be careful and should still avoid large gathering. Just because it’s 2022, doesn’t change the fact that Covid is still a problem
Bad take. There's a reason why polio and smallpox isn't a thing and it's not because of masks and social distancing. Vaccines used to work.
Both also had people quickly getting vaccinated and stay up to date on their vaccines in order to counter these problems. Coupled with these still being very different viruses. There’s also the difference that more people actually listened to professionals in order to nearly eradicated these diseases. This is in stark contrast to the people ignoring professionals in favor of conspiracies. Vaccines still work but they aren’t all the same and all vaccines require cooperation and boosting in order to be more effective.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: IncredulousP

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Covid is still spreading and being vaccinated does not make someone immune to it. People should still continue to be careful and should still avoid large gathering. Just because it’s 2022, doesn’t change the fact that Covid is still a problem
What a genius...

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP

Both also had people quickly getting vaccinated and stay up to date on their vaccines in order to counter these problems. Coupled with these still being very different viruses. There’s also the difference that more people actually listened to professionals in order to nearly eradicated these diseases. This is in stark contrast to the people ignoring professionals in favor of conspiracies. Vaccines still work but they aren’t all the same and all vaccines require cooperation and boosting in order to be more effective.
I'm actually dealing with an asymptomatic case of covid rn.
I don't think this omricon bs is that bad because of its low death rate

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Genuine concern vs "what an excuse we have been handed"
Concern for their bottom line (I can't imagine insurance* for shutdowns in California is going to be cheap at this point, and venues are still going to want to be paid), and if we are all supposed to be pod people that means you can't pack them in like sardines (see various "why you don't want to go to E3" articles from years past).
Laziness, especially in light of the other things mentioned here.
Death of the conference as a whole (how many have gone remote or done their own thing even prior to all this?)

*assuming it even works and they don't weasel their way out of it.

I wonder what the balance really is. Curiously I did not see much complaint of [conference name] flu for the "why you don't want to go to E3" articles in years past compared to other things there.

Main loss really is a few indy games might not get found as easily, and the demos available to be played meant if by happy accident a genuinely interested in games and reasonably good at them type got let in (there was a time) and played something we might get a real insight into how the thing is progressing (polishing handling probably coming before levels are done).

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm actually dealing with an asymptomatic case of covid rn.
I don't think this omricon bs is that bad because of its low death rate
I think omicron is definitely a case-by-case when it comes to the severity. My wife got omicron and was in really rough shape for a few days. My friend also got omicron, was asymptomatic, and recovered in a few days. The bigger concern with omicron isn’t the death rate but the spreading rate because of how common asymptomatic cases are.
Edit: I have no idea how my wife got omicron and I got OG Covid but that happened.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
I think omicron is definitely a case-by-case when it comes to the severity. My wife got omicron and was in really rough shape for a few days. My friend also got omicron, was asymptomatic, and recovered in a few days. The bigger concern with omicron isn’t the death rate but the spreading rate because of how common asymptomatic cases are.
Edit: I have no idea how my wife got omicron and I got OG Covid but that happened.
My friend got omricon and suffered from parasomnia for a week bc of covid. I'd say if someone were to not want it at all protect themselves, and those who don't find a week or two of sickness, let them do what they want.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yeah, I'm vaxxed (2 shots). I took a home test and got a positive test. They don't always work but I don't feel like going to the doctor to confirm. I wouldn't wanna say I'm a victim because the Omricon variant is just a cold
it's cold only for people are vaxxed, it will be something else if your NOT.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too busy debating vaccines to notice that E3 has refused to confirm whether they are even doing a digital event, which the gbatemp headline erroneously claims. There's more going wrong for the ESA than just Covid.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
COVID is killing off a lot of things, it seems... or is it just a cop-out? I'm beginning to suspect that E3, and other conferences and regular meetings (fairs, concerts, etc.) are taking advantage of this just so they won't have to deal with large groups anymore.

Am I right, or do I just sound like a conspiracy theorist? :unsure:

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I'm vaxxed (2 shots). I took a home test and got a positive test. They don't always work but I don't feel like going to the doctor to confirm. I wouldn't wanna say I'm a victim because the Omricon variant is just a cold

@WiiMiiSwitch that suck to hear, I know a few people that were fully vaxxed (2 shots) no booster still tested positive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16