drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I was reading about the DVDx Channel that will let you read burned discs on a Wii without a modchip... but would that work on the DVD Player channel as found here?

I assume that doesn't let you play burned games from the disc channel or it would be spammed all over every site by now... but what about GeckOS? Would that work?

I really don't want to bother with my WiiKey if all this stuff keeps coming out... since I'd end up breaking it with the solder and I prefer software hacks better.

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DVD player that you linked to only works in GameCube mode. If you installed the DVDX channel, you can use MPlayer, which can be downloaded from the site below...

http://www.hackmii.com/2008/08/libdi-and-the-dvdx-installer/

The DVDX channel can allow you to use burned DVDs on certain homebrew applications, like Genesis Plus. However, you still cannot boot burned Wii games without a drive chip.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh that's cool... how do you control the DVD in mplayer? Are there any other DVD player channels?

And why exactly can't you play backed up game discs using GeckOS? Isn't a DVD-ROM a DVD-ROM? Or is there some other IOS issue?

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't used MPlayer in awhile, so I don't really remember on how to play the DVDs. However, the version of MPlayer that I linked to is not a channel, and needs to be booted through the Homebrew Channel.

GeckoOS does not currently use the DVD Access Library, so it can't run burned discs. However, I doubt that it is as simple as implementing the DVD Access Library into it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.