DVDs and BluRays?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by ponygals, Aug 30, 2014.

1. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    I tried buying this DVD set but found out it was only available in a BluRay set which I do not own a BluRay player or TV. And I don't want to buy either or because I prefer using regular DVD. But do you think this is the end of DVD and BluRay will take over? Why would a company release a set or a movie on BluRay ONLY?

2. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Thus is the future. But "do not own a BluRay player or TV"... how are you planning to watch anything without a TV? Unless you misworded that...

Why? BluRay is the superior media. Higher storage capacity, more durable than DVD...

Yeah, DVD has been on the decline for a while since BluRay launched. I give it maybe another 3 years before DVDs are uncommon to have movies released on.

The same reason they no longer release movies on VHS or LaserDisc, why Nintendo no longer develops games for the SNES, why Windows 95 no longer gets updates. Technology advances and improves. Technology is going to change regardless of how stubborn people are.

Densetsu and porkiewpyne like this.
  3. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    BluRays are getting just as cheap as DVDs these days and the backwards compatibility feature will always exist. BluRay is now standard Multimedia and won't be going away. How are you watching your movies now?

4. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    I am still using VHS or DVDs on my old TV. I have not updated to a Smart TV or newer TV set.

5. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    You can find a ps3 for $150 and a 24" hdtv for around $100 these days. What's your computer set up like? It more than likely hss an hdtv port on it so you can just hook it up to a $100 hdtv.

6. Densetsu

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?
    Strange, I usually run into the opposite problem. When I want to buy a Blu-Ray boxed set of all the seasons of a particular show, sometimes it's only available on DVD.

Case in point: 24 - The Complete Series. They're even releasing another boxed set including Live Another Day (available for pre-order), and it's only for DVD. WTF??