DVD to Digital at Walmart

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, Walmart's photo center now will sale you digital copies of your DVDs for 2 dollars each. While the Ads do say Convert from your DVDs, it isn't the actual case. They download digital copies of your videos from ultraviolet (if they are available) and place them on a memory card for you. Still an interesting idea.

Wonder if this means Walmart will no longer supply free codes for digital copies when you buy DVDs from them...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't exactly news, I'll move this General Off Topic for now and a mod can decide what to do with it from there.

On topic though, I never saw what the big deal was with digital copies or whatever the hell Ultraviolet is. Maybe I just don't use smart devices enough to appreciate it, who knows.

Reactions: 1 person

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 8's windows media player won't play DVDs (just announced a few days ago), Media Center will but that's only available in pro. This may be useful for those who don't know about other alternatives and still want to watch there collect. As well as for non-tech savvy people.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DVDs to digital seems like something you can easily do at home for free, so it's totally pointless in my option.

From what I read it provides a streaming service which a lot of people would prefer over having a digital copy. It's a lot easier to just open an app and click "Play" than convert their DVD to a digital copy which may be converted to other formats depending on your device. Also streaming means you don't need to worry about storage space (and considering how pricing is on internal memory for like iDevices, it's a reasonable method).

Personally I wouldn't use it over Netflix and if I wanted to watch a movie I owned on DVD I'd probably just watch it on DVD. I'm not much of a "watch movies/shows on the go" type of guy anyway.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The DVDs to digital seems like something you can easily do at home for free, so it's totally pointless in my option.

From what I read it provides a streaming service which a lot of people would prefer over having a digital copy. It's a lot easier to just open an app and click "Play" than convert their DVD to a digital copy which may be converted to other formats depending on your device. Also streaming means you don't need to worry about storage space (and considering how pricing is on internal memory for like iDevices, it's a reasonable method).

Personally I wouldn't use it over Netflix and if I wanted to watch a movie I owned on DVD I'd probably just watch it on DVD. I'm not much of a "watch movies/shows on the go" type of guy anyway.
You can still do that from your own home and still do it with little to no effort. Also iCloud and as you said just suggested Netflix which is also another easy and cheap alternative.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think VLC is lagtastic crap and would never recommend it. To each there own.

That seems to be more of a problem with your own computer than VLC itself; I can't say I've ever known anyone else who has had that sort of problem with it.

No it is not. I have a gaming rig with 8gb ram and a decent 1gb video card.

Yes and No guild. Like Flixster you can download the videos too, not just stream. This service isn't really for very one, it's for the very old and those who are not tech savvy enough. That being said, I probably won't ever use this service.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've run VLC just fine on my computer with awful specs and I can watch quality videos without any lag. I've watched like the entirety of the last season of Dexter if you want a recent high quality show that I used VLC with.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think VLC is lagtastic crap and would never recommend it. To each there own.

That seems to be more of a problem with your own computer than VLC itself; I can't say I've ever known anyone else who has had that sort of problem with it.

Yes and No guild. Like Flixster you can download the videos too, not just stream. This service isn't really for very one, it's for the very old and those who are not tech savvy enough. That being said, I probably won't ever use this service.
I have a crap laptop and had a crappier computer before it and ran VLC just fine on all of them and even ran it through several operating systems as well.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either way, I prefer not to download anything or as little as possible. PCs should be able to do most stuff right out the box.

freaksloan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree seems pointless, if you can turn on a computer you should be able to convert your DVD's to digital.

Also, VLC is the BEST! I use nothing else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi: pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise