Hacking "dvd read error 972" on neogamma r6 (LU40)

luojw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a LU40 Wii at firmware version 4.2E. I cracked it following the guide given by xzxero (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901) and using CIOS38 rev 17. USB loaders work well. However, it does not play backed up games from Neogamma. In Neogamma R6, it shows "dvd read error 972" . In Neogamma R7, it shows "dvd read error 1142". In softchip r100, it gives error loct1 error (DI_ReadID). And I don't think it is the DVD problem. I have tried two backup games (DVD-R), both work well in another cracked wii.

Information added: It is a brand new Wii. It plays the original games from disk loader or backup loader.

Below is the signcheck results.

IOS number "Trucha bug" "Flash access" "Boot2 access" "Usb2.0 IOS tree"

IOS250 (ver 65535) Enabled Disabled Disabled Enabled
IOS249 (ver 17) Enabled Disabled Disabled Enabled
IOS223 (ver 4) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS222 (ver 4) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS202 (ver 4) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS70 (ver 6687) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS61 (ver 5405) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS57 (ver 5661) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS56 (ver 5405) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS55 (ver 5406) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS53 (ver 5406) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS38 (ver 3867) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS37 (ver 3869) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS36 (ver 3351) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS35 (ver 3349) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS34 (ver 3348) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS33 (ver 3091) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS31 (ver 3349) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS28 (ver 1550) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS22 (ver 1037) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS17 (ver 775) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS16 (ver 257) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS14 (ver 520) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS13 (ver 273) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled

Could anyone give me a hint how to make the backup loader work?

Thank you so much!

luojw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your fast response. Here I want to provide more information. It is a brand new Wii. It plays the original games from disk loader or backup loader.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
LU40...brand new ??

You never bought it second hand ?

I'm curous because Nintendo stopped shipping out LU40s a long, long time ago afaik.

*EDIT*

So you know the errors you are getting are caused by either...

- You have a new Wii that can't play backup games from THAT drive (get a replacement drive OR use Uloader+external dvd reader)
- You burned on a bad disc (brand OR dvd+r, or it's a bad burn) .... can't be that if they work on another Wii.
- The laser is dead or dirty (quite common) LU40s are old so it could be this.
- The drive motor is dead (you can tell by listening) does it "spin up" or do the discs not spin

It is one of those, but you can cancel out a few with a few simple tests.

Of course I'm assuming you know all about cIOS and have that setup right, and are selecting the correct cIOS in softchip.

luojw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, Slimmmmmm.

It is a brand new wii (special edition, wii sports resort bundle purchased from walmart yesterday). I will try the test you suggested. I am a little bit confused because the original game can be played. Does it mean the laser or driver motor is working?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Most likely a D3-2 drive in it then.

If you have a triscrew and really want to figure out the problem, you can open your wii and check on your dvd-drive.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
linuxares said:

If you have a triscrew and really want to figure out the problem, you can open your wii and check on your dvd-drive.

I agree, if it's brand new it will most likely have a new drive then.

Your options are.....

1 - Use a USB loader, give up on discs. (no gamecube then)
2 - Use uLoader and an external DVD drive (no gamecube then)
3 - Get a replacement drive if you really want to use backup discs (you can run gamecube then)

4 - Get a WODE ... IF ... they can support the new drives (I've no idea if they can) (you can run gamecube then)

Get a Triiwing and open it up and check the drive type
smile.gif

Sorry these answers are not what you wanted to hear but they are your only options (unless I missed something)

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slimmmmmm said:
linuxares said:

I agree, if it's brand new it will most likely have a new drive then.

Your options are.....

1 - Use a USB loader, give up on discs. (no gamecube then)
2 - Use uLoader and an external DVD drive (no gamecube then)
3 - Get a replacement drive if you really want to use backup discs (you can run gamecube then)

4 - Get a WODE ... IF ... they can support the new drives (I've no idea if they can) (you can run gamecube then)

Get a Triiwing and open it up and check the drive type
smile.gif

Sorry these answers are not what you wanted to hear but they are your only options (unless I missed something)

maybe the wii is a refurbished one using the old serial with a new drive etc, maybe the company you bought it off forgot to tell you it was refurbished or something

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well they show a blackwii. You might not be able to boot the DVD backups, but the USB should work.

luojw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot, all of you!

I will try to use an external DVD reader first, as suggested.

BTW. It is still a white wii. I guess I can trust walmart so it should not be a refurbished one. It is a special edition, with wii sports resort/motionplus and at the same price ($200).

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Well it is a very strange story indeed.

LU40 should NOT have a D3-2 drive as far as I know because Nintendo didn't start adding they drives until after LU60 (ish) model numbers so I doubt your Wii has one but I am stumped. I posted all the things that result in this error message.

I would think with your Wii being a LU40 that wallmart had them "in the back" for quite a long time and that's why it has such a low serial for how recently you purchased it. Therefore it really shouldn't have a new drive.

I suspect your problem is not the drive model being a D3-2.
With it being new I also would think it's not a faulty motor or laser and you confirmed that with saying new retail games work no problem, but backups are harder for the laser to read so I wouldn't say it's impossible that the laser struggles to read the backups.

This would leave only the cIOS as an issue that can clearly explain the situation.

So... did you delete the IOS 249 stub and install a waninkoko cIOS ? I'm asking this because USB loaders can be loading the games through a Hermes cIOS, but NeoGamma uses Waninkoko cIOSs.

To see if it's a cIOS issue just confirm if you deleted the 249 stub and installed a Waninkoko cIOS and let us know which version.

Also for the discs which brand are you using ? If it's a cheap brand then what does IMGBurn identify them as ? I'm asking this because LU40 Wiis have a differnet laser than newer models and they have trouble sometimes even running SSBB, this would explain the backups working in other Wiis but not yours.

So to recap, answer these questions.....

1 - Did you delete the IOS 249 stubs and install a Waninkoko cIOS ? If yes which version ?
2 - Which brand of DVDs are you using and what does IMGBurn identify them as ?
3 - Do you have an original DL game EG SSBB, or MP Trilogy and does it work ?

Sorry for more questions, I'm just trying to get things working without extra hassle
smile.gif

luojw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To Slimmmmmm,

1. I did delete the IOS 249 stubs and install a Waninkoko cIOS. I will double check. I used rev 17, but I did try other versions (10,13,15).

2. I used Memorex DVD-R, burned with nero 9. I haven't tried IMGBurn but will test. In my experience, all the backup games (more than 30) I burned with Memorex DVD-R worked very well in another crack wii.

3. I only tried Wii Sports and Wii Fit Plus. Both worked with another cracked wii, but not this new wii. The original Wii sports also works. Sorry, I don't have the SSBB, or MP Trilogy.

Thank you so much for your kind help.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Well it looks like 1 of 2 things.

Either the laser is a bit crap (like the ones that don't play DL games even if they are original) and it doesn't like the discs.
OR
It has a new drive in it, which seems VERY strange considering the model number.

As for using nero, I'd use IMGBurn if I were you (but nero shouldn't be a problem)
IMGBurn is free and can be ran without installing...just so you know.

So to test these last 2 things you will need to get hold of a dual layer game..borrow..rent ??
If the DL game doesn't work then switching your DVD brand will solve the problem. You can either get expensive discs EG Verbatim OR cheap discs like Ritek BUT they MUST have a G05 dye when identified in IMGBurn. If the DL games DO work then it's most likely the drive model. The only way to know the drive model is to open the Wii up with a Triiwing screwdriver and take a look. If you have a new drive (D3-2) then you are only left with the options I posted earlier.

I might have missed something, but I'm sure if I have someone will be quick to correct me.

luojw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, Slimmmmmm and everyone else!

I will try to test the original DL games in several days.

One more issue I forgot to mentioned is that I can't install bootmii as boot 2 in the LU40 (which comes with system menu 4.2U). I installed priiloader though.

luojw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I googled and found something interesting.

Somebody else also had similar issue (http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-154/new_to_the_wii_modding_scene_have_a_quick_question-818217/)

"No, not all new systems are LU64, LEH250 OR LAH113. A friend of mine just bought one and the serial # is LU40.

This one has its own problems though. Backup disc launchers will not work, and I cant get Preloader installed. It also only installs bootmii as an IOS.

What I did get working was Configurable USB loader, and it works great, including all disc images.

"

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
hmm... thats odd. really odd... I would suggest you get a triscrew and open up. then check the if its a GC2-D3-2 chip.

luojw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to follow up.

Today I tried the original SSBB games and it worked. So it turned out it was the D3-2 chip. I googled and found several persons had bought the LU40 wii's since last December.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for clearing that up m8
smile.gif

This is very bad news for people buying a Wii now because they can't know the drive from the serial number. Although that was never perfect it did give a good indication, but a model number as low as 40 is bit shocking I'm sure most of us here will agree.

One more reason for people to get a USB HDD up and running.

lawliet92

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello I also have a similar problem and was wondering if i can get help. I have a LU30 (i bought it back when wii's came out) and i recently softmodded my wii but for some reason i cant get backups on dvd's or external hard drive to work. I'm like a noob when it comes to wii lol s i would greatly appreciate it if u can help me.
PS. i use Verbatim 4.7 gb and IMGburn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1