DVD+R media bad for wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Mr_Q, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Mr_Q
    OP

Mr_Q Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2006
    Dear Members,

My Wii is modded since yesterday (wii-key) and the guy told me to use DVD-R. I asked him why because my Traxdata DVD+R 16x seem to work fine.

He told me that DVD+R does work fine, but that the laser will have problems with reading disks in the future, if I keep using DVD+R.

I told him I could not imagine that it would make any difference.. Since the laser does not touch the disc while reading. He told me that it has something to do with faster spinning (dvd+r) and burning-hours

Since I could not find any topic or post about this on gbatemp I have made this topic.
    Can somebody confirm this or is was he just talking crap?

Greetings,
    Mr_Q

2. xbandaidx

xbandaidx GBAtemp Regular

Mar 18, 2007
    United States
    Hmm, it's recommended you use DVD-R here as well. I'm not sure the exact reasons why, but everyone (including myself) recommends that you use either Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim DVD-R

But hey, it's your wii do what you want.

3. Mr_Q
    OP

Mr_Q Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2006
    I get your point about DVD-R for the better compatibility..

And when my DVD+R are running out I will buy DVD-R verbatim, but since I've got loads of empty Traxdata DVD+R I just would like to know if this media (dvd+r) is really hurting Wii's...

Thanks,
    Mr_Q

4. sidneyyoung

sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 29, 2006
    Bangladesh
    I've used +R on all my consoles for years.. xbox1,ps2,GC,dvd players and now Wii. They have never burnt a laser out, and all the consoles work as good as the day i got them. I prefer +R to -R anyday.

5. Retal

Retal GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 20, 2007
    England              Sex: Daily
    I love people who post on forums like they're writing a letter.
    It's just so adorable, how can you not?

6. LordWill072284

LordWill072284 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 29, 2006
    Canada
    Nova Scotia
    same with me sidneyyoung, used sony +r for everything, and the laser still works fine in everything, i modded 13 wii's and tell all of them that +r works fine. have a lot of games in +r over 150 and all work fine. so again your call what you want to use. hope this helps a lil

7. Mr_Q
    OP

Mr_Q Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2006
    Thanks for your replies sidneyyoung and LordWill072284 !

This took me over the line to keep using my perfectly working DVD+R I already own.

If there are people that do have problems because of DVD+R (which I still can't imagine) please let me know [​IMG]

Thanks all.

8. rhyguy

rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 21, 2007
    Melbourne
    arent dvd-r cheaper than dvd+r?

9. Mr_Q
    OP

Mr_Q Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2006
    Well.. It doesn't make a big difference in my country (opus), DVD+R is a little bit cheaper with the most brands.. But DVD+R or DVD-R of Verbatim where priced the same.

10. Twilight

Twilight Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2006
    France
    France (nord pas de calais)
    i use dvd+r phillips for my wii iso, it's good choice???
    (i wait my wii for the moment^^)

11. WrathofGod

WrathofGod GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2004
    United States
    I just recently tried +r doesnt' seem to work as well but they still work :/