Aquila

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi everyone,

Everywhere I read you should use DVD-R's for burning Wii backups, because DVD+R's might be bad for your Wii.

I only have (Philips) DVD+R's atm and I wonder if that's really true or not, some people deny this, others insist they really are bad..

It's kinda confusing, so well now.. what really is true? Are DVD+R's bad for your Wii or not?

Some other intel: I have an early (PAL) Wii model, dating from the release in Europe. This might be interesting because I read somewhere the earlier models would have a better laser or something?
And, whatever the conclusion of the question "are DVD+R's bad for your Wii or not" is, what is/are the best DVD brand(s) to use?

Thanks in advance for answering!

TyrianCubed

Gamer 1989 to present
Trophies
Website
www.gamescollection.it
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not an expert, but even when I set the booktype to DVD-ROM, when I burn +R half of them don't work (DRE).
'nuff said
wink.gif

f00had

Trophies
XP
Country
I've read that you should avoid Memorex discs, although I'd like to know if Imation is any good. There's a buy-one-get-one-free offer at my local stationers
ohmy.gif

Aquila

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, I know DVD+R's can work, even though they are less compatible. But my real question is whether or not it can harm your Wii (seen over a longer period).

I also know that it indeed has been asked many times.. but I couldn't find any useful 'decision' about whether or not these discs can harm your Wii... hoped I could find it here now
smile.gif

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I bought my Wii in June 2007. I've ONLY used DVD+R discs and I've still got every game working. Even burned SSBB on a DVD+DL disc.

Off course I've got the occasional disc error message. But after a reboot everything works.

So in short I think people who talk about DVD+R being bad for your Wii are talking bullshit. With my Wii (3.2E with Wiikey) it works like a charm!

ClaKK

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
berlinka said:
I bought my Wii in June 2007. I've ONLY used DVD+R discs and I've still got every game working. Even burned SSBB on a DVD+DL disc.

Off course I've got the occasional disc error message. But after a reboot everything works.

So in short I think people who talk about DVD+R being bad for your Wii are talking bullshit. With my Wii (3.2E with Wiikey) it works like a charm!

Me too, I've always used Verbatim +R discs and never had a single DRE or any other problem.

Somebody here on the forum said that DVD+R put more strain on the Wii's lens, and I don't know if this is true or not, yet it gets really noisier than with original pressed discs...

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always used + plus here too and I have been using them since I chipped my Wii about a year and a half a go. Never had a problem, even the ones I burned for my PS2 and xbox1 4or5 years ago still work just fine.

I will never buy anything but +R because I found the -R ones the few times i used them to be flaky.

just to note, I've always used Pioneer burners ..108 and now 115D

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I have been using mostly DVD+Rs and have well over 100 discs burned with them... I have not had any issues, except for when burning at maxspeed... seems the best speed to burn them at is still around 2x.

That's from experience not from some media site which tells you what discs are best to burn when you copy a game..hehe

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
ClaKK said:
Somebody here on the forum said that DVD+R put more strain on the Wii's lens, and I don't know if this is true or not, yet it gets really noisier than with original pressed discs...

This is what I've heard, and I honestly have to think "Better safe than sorry."

Besides, I'm not sure what kind of quality Philips is, but I don't recall it being one of the better one, perhaps you should upgrade. I use Taiyo Yuden and Sony (Mostly Taiyo Yuden now though.), and they both work magnificently, as opposed to the Maxell's I once tried, which never even booted. (I would like to point out that I don't burn wii games, just ps2 games, but I think that the case is probably pretty similar.)

gd6noob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
save your self the headaches and get the DVD-R...

i was using Fuji DVD+R and they dont work.. i went out and got a 100pc of Sony DVD-R and all 10 games i burnt all worked! except for the ones that are known not compatible coz i didnt check the list...

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Aquila said:
Everywhere I read you should use DVD-R's for burning Wii backups, because DVD+R's might be bad for your Wii.

DVD+R discs quickly heat the lens on the laser causing it to overheat and eventually start to melt the drive trans system on the wii's core chasis.
If this continues over a long time it can cause a cathostrophic meltdown of the core reactor in the wii and thw overheated lens will cause the internals to catch fire.
You can make a slightly safer system by inserting a spark bargle (as recommended by arm the homeless) or if you do a search on this site you can run the Less_Internal_Heat_v1.3.wad file that was written by noobwarrior7 to keep the heat of the lens at a monitored level.

Either way should help you run DVD+R discs

pnice

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It seems like there are more variables than normal for burning Wii games. I was using Memorex DVD+Rs and changing the booktype and I think maybe 3 out of 25+ burns worked at all. Most would give a disk read error. I think part of it had to do with my burner. It was old and although it worked great for everything else it didn't work for Wii disks. I got a different but newer burner and tried again with the Memorex. They wouldn't work at all. I couldn't change the booktype on the newer DVD burner I was using. Finally I picked up some Verbatim DVD-Rs from Best Buy (8x and called movie disks or something. They have a black top that looks like a film reel on each disk) and every time I've burnt a Wii DVD it has worked flawlessly.

ClaKK

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
djtaz said:
Aquila said:

DVD+R discs quickly heat the lens on the laser causing it to overheat and eventually start to melt the drive trans system on the wii's core chasis.
If this continues over a long time it can cause a cathostrophic meltdown of the core reactor in the wii and thw overheated lens will cause the internals to catch fire.
You can make a slightly safer system by inserting a spark bargle (as recommended by arm the homeless) or if you do a search on this site you can run the Less_Internal_Heat_v1.3.wad file that was written by noobwarrior7 to keep the heat of the lens at a monitored level.

Either way should help you run DVD+R discs

lecture.gif
I thought that using the spark bargle was even more dangerous than letting you Wii overheat...unless you can insert a supporting debargler (which costs too much for me)... a dicotometric baluginator would be a cheaper yet still effective solution!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4