DVD+R bad for Wii or not?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Aquila, Nov 19, 2008.

Nov 19, 2008

DVD+R bad for Wii or not? by Aquila at 11:21 AM (6,169 Views / 0 Likes) 37 replies

1. Aquila
    OP

Newcomer Aquila Member

Netherlands
    Hi everyone,

Everywhere I read you should use DVD-R's for burning Wii backups, because DVD+R's might be bad for your Wii.

I only have (Philips) DVD+R's atm and I wonder if that's really true or not, some people deny this, others insist they really are bad..

It's kinda confusing, so well now.. what really is true? Are DVD+R's bad for your Wii or not?

Some other intel: I have an early (PAL) Wii model, dating from the release in Europe. This might be interesting because I read somewhere the earlier models would have a better laser or something?
    And, whatever the conclusion of the question "are DVD+R's bad for your Wii or not" is, what is/are the best DVD brand(s) to use?

Thanks in advance for answering!

2. TyrianCubed

Member TyrianCubed Gamer 1989 to present

Italy
    I'm not an expert, but even when I set the booktype to DVD-ROM, when I burn +R half of them don't work (DRE).
    'nuff said [​IMG]

3. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    this has been asked many times.......

4. f00had

Member f00had GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I've read that you should avoid Memorex discs, although I'd like to know if Imation is any good. There's a buy-one-get-one-free offer at my local stationers [​IMG]

5. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    You're not "supposed" to use either, but DVD-R is apparently more compatible in this case.

6. HazukiSon

Newcomer HazukiSon Member

United States
    Well i've only ever except for once used a - R my + R's work pretty much every single time

7. Aquila
    OP

Newcomer Aquila Member

Netherlands
    Yeah, I know DVD+R's can work, even though they are less compatible. But my real question is whether or not it can harm your Wii (seen over a longer period).

I also know that it indeed has been asked many times.. but I couldn't find any useful 'decision' about whether or not these discs can harm your Wii... hoped I could find it here now [​IMG]

8. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    I bought my Wii in June 2007. I've ONLY used DVD+R discs and I've still got every game working. Even burned SSBB on a DVD+DL disc.

Off course I've got the occasional disc error message. But after a reboot everything works.

So in short I think people who talk about DVD+R being bad for your Wii are talking bullshit. With my Wii (3.2E with Wiikey) it works like a charm!

9. ClaKK

Member ClaKK GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Me too, I've always used Verbatim +R discs and never had a single DRE or any other problem.

Somebody here on the forum said that DVD+R put more strain on the Wii's lens, and I don't know if this is true or not, yet it gets really noisier than with original pressed discs...

10. rasputin

Member rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Always used + plus here too and I have been using them since I chipped my Wii about a year and a half a go. Never had a problem, even the ones I burned for my PS2 and xbox1 4or5 years ago still work just fine.

I will never buy anything but +R because I found the -R ones the few times i used them to be flaky.

just to note, I've always used Pioneer burners ..108 and now 115D

11. IronMask

Member IronMask Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!

United States
    I have been using mostly DVD+Rs and have well over 100 discs burned with them... I have not had any issues, except for when burning at maxspeed... seems the best speed to burn them at is still around 2x.

That's from experience not from some media site which tells you what discs are best to burn when you copy a game..hehe

12. Chemical_Warfare

Member Chemical_Warfare GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    blargh..

edit: you know the don't say anything if you got nothin nice to say thing? yep.

13. Apex

Member Apex GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    This is what I've heard, and I honestly have to think "Better safe than sorry."

Besides, I'm not sure what kind of quality Philips is, but I don't recall it being one of the better one, perhaps you should upgrade. I use Taiyo Yuden and Sony (Mostly Taiyo Yuden now though.), and they both work magnificently, as opposed to the Maxell's I once tried, which never even booted. (I would like to point out that I don't burn wii games, just ps2 games, but I think that the case is probably pretty similar.)

14. e2razor

Newcomer e2razor Member

Finland
    I'm using Verbatim dvd+r discs. I have burned 5 games and all are working very nicely. You just have to set booktype to DVD-ROM. [​IMG]

15. gd6noob

Newcomer gd6noob Advanced Member

Canada
    save your self the headaches and get the DVD-R...

i was using Fuji DVD+R and they dont work.. i went out and got a 100pc of Sony DVD-R and all 10 games i burnt all worked! except for the ones that are known not compatible coz i didnt check the list...

16. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    DVD+R discs quickly heat the lens on the laser causing it to overheat and eventually start to melt the drive trans system on the wii's core chasis.
    If this continues over a long time it can cause a cathostrophic meltdown of the core reactor in the wii and thw overheated lens will cause the internals to catch fire.
    You can make a slightly safer system by inserting a spark bargle (as recommended by arm the homeless) or if you do a search on this site you can run the Less_Internal_Heat_v1.3.wad file that was written by noobwarrior7 to keep the heat of the lens at a monitored level.

Either way should help you run DVD+R discs

17. pnice

Newcomer pnice Member

United States
    It seems like there are more variables than normal for burning Wii games. I was using Memorex DVD+Rs and changing the booktype and I think maybe 3 out of 25+ burns worked at all. Most would give a disk read error. I think part of it had to do with my burner. It was old and although it worked great for everything else it didn't work for Wii disks. I got a different but newer burner and tried again with the Memorex. They wouldn't work at all. I couldn't change the booktype on the newer DVD burner I was using. Finally I picked up some Verbatim DVD-Rs from Best Buy (8x and called movie disks or something. They have a black top that looks like a film reel on each disk) and every time I've burnt a Wii DVD it has worked flawlessly.

18. ClaKK

Member ClaKK GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    [​IMG] I thought that using the spark bargle was even more dangerous than letting you Wii overheat...unless you can insert a supporting debargler (which costs too much for me)... a dicotometric baluginator would be a cheaper yet still effective solution!!

19. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    I'm only using TDK DVD+R discs (my burner won't even recognize - discs), and they're all working perfectly.

20. CharAznable

Member CharAznable GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Where might one find this Less_Internal_Heat_v1.3.wad?