Hacking DVD Movies on Wii?

Link_of_Hyrule

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I'm sure that a bunch of other people have posted topics asking if there is a way to play dvds on thier wii. My question is how ever is it possible to play a DVD movie on a Wii using homebrew with the twilight hack/homebrew channel without a hardware mod if someone were to create a working homebrew that allows it. By this I don't mean burned ones I mean an actual movie that I paid for or rented from blockbuster or soemthing.

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it. I don't think that anyone has succeeded in accessing the DVD drive, in that manner, while in Wii mode. I think that there are some video players that can be used with the Twilight Hack and/or Homebrew Channel, that allow you to watch videos stored on your SD card.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Team Symbiote released a DVD player, but it requires a drivechip.

Stick to the MFE for now.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
It might require a drivechip.

Wii without software or hardware mods, won't read DVD discs for any purpose, not even data files.

Contrary to popular belief... Real Wii game discs aren't quite proper DVDs, so Nintendo doesn't officially refer to them using the "DVD" name or logo.

kallekall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
davidw89 said:
Why not buy a $15 dvd player?

Because he want to play dvd on his wii
lecture.gif

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theclaw said:
It might require a drivechip.

Wii without software or hardware mods, won't read DVD discs for any purpose, not even data files.

Contrary to popular belief... Real Wii game discs aren't quite proper DVDs, so Nintendo doesn't officially refer to them using the "DVD" name or logo.

Well, not that you're going to be mistaken, but they are DVDs... they just aren't ISO format.

If someone could burn a disc in the same layout that the Wii uses, we wouldn't have much of a problem.

However, it would take a lot of low-level hacks to do.

littlestevie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
teq said:
Team Symbiote released a DVD player, but it requires a drivechip.

Stick to the MFE for now.
I was part of Team Symbiote (retired from the industry expanding out lol) and there were alot of things we didnt realise when we released that player

its buggy as all shit! well thats just 1 problem lol......

the biggest problem is that MIOS puts a limited in place on the 1.4gb disks, that while a drive chip can bypass, it wont do it in 1 hit
(this is why multigame disks are fine because its not 4.7 gb of data for the game but 1.4 gb max per game)

nedthehead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In the eventual future, could a Custom Firmware unlock the potential to play DVD's? If programmed right, I can't see why it wouldn't be able to accept DVD's. That is to say it would take a HELL of alot of programming to make any CFW work like we want it to

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theclaw said:
Is a cake a cookie if someone calls it a cookie? No.

Nintendo doesn't use the "DVD" name or logo on them. Making their actual name not "DVD".

I think you lost everyone with this post...

DVD stands for Digital Versatile Disc, with an emphasis on "versatile". The contents on the disc don't change the physical makeup of the disc, so it's still a DVD no matter how you look at it.

The DVD "logo" you're referring to is only for region encoding of movies. Games follow a different regional coding set up by an entirely different organization.

As far as DVDs on the Wii are concerned, I don't think it's going to be a relevant issue when MFE is released with USB support.

Sanjuro

Trophies
XP
Country
nedthehead said:
In the eventual future, could a Custom Firmware unlock the potential to play DVD's? If programmed right, I can't see why it wouldn't be able to accept DVD's. That is to say it would take a HELL of alot of programming to make any CFW work like we want it to

If the drive is anything like the PS2's drive, no firmware can force reading of a disc.
At least in the PS2, the BIOS cannot take over the drive unless the PS2 authorizes the disc (so if it finds an invalid disc it will lock up and refuse to send data to ANY application, commercial or homebrew), which is why modchips are needed.

(The memento team got over this by creating a patch that tricks the PS2 into thinking the disc is a dvd movie and allowing apps to access it, combined with their launcher, we'd have to find a similar solution for the wii, but since it was not designed to accept any kind of burned disc, I doubt it, and now that I think about it, perhaps this could be one of the reasons they left out dvd movie support, full denial of burned media.)

Xeronage

Trophies
XP
Country
The Wii Drive Lens doesn't like being constantly used for reading DVD Movies...It'll wear out sooner than you can say "It isn't working!"

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theclaw said:
That's incorrect. Licensed data DVDs have a logo too. Look at DVD format PS2 games.

Just to lay this coffin to rest, I went to the official DVD licensing site to look into this.

The DVD logo you're referring to is the official licensing logo, correct?

According to them, licensing is not manditory and even companies that are licensed have the option of putting the logo on their product.

Now, my original argument is not the fact that Nintendo is licensed, but rather that Wii games are standard DVDs and not proprietary discs. The physical evidence to this is that Wii games can be read by a standard DVDROM drive, though the formatting on the disc is non-standard.

XeronageThe Wii Drive Lens doesn't like being constantly used for reading DVD Movies...It'll wear out sooner than you can say "It isn't working!"

I don't know why everyone says this....

The Wii's DVDROM drive is identical to one you would find in a computer or DVD player, so why would it wear out any faster?

Furthermore, if anything on DVDROM drive were to break, it would be the mechanical parts first.... the lens would be the last thing to go out.

I think everyone developed a lot of paranoia from the days of the PS2. Sony used cheap DVDROM drives that went out due to mechanical failure... the lenses just needed to be readjusted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1