DVD Movies on Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Link_of_Hyrule, Jun 28, 2008.

Jun 28, 2008

DVD Movies on Wii? by Link_of_Hyrule at 9:09 AM (2,197 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Link_of_Hyrule
    OP

Member Link_of_Hyrule GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok I'm sure that a bunch of other people have posted topics asking if there is a way to play dvds on thier wii. My question is how ever is it possible to play a DVD movie on a Wii using homebrew with the twilight hack/homebrew channel without a hardware mod if someone were to create a working homebrew that allows it. By this I don't mean burned ones I mean an actual movie that I paid for or rented from blockbuster or soemthing.

2. g4jek8j54

Member g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I doubt it. I don't think that anyone has succeeded in accessing the DVD drive, in that manner, while in Wii mode. I think that there are some video players that can be used with the Twilight Hack and/or Homebrew Channel, that allow you to watch videos stored on your SD card.

3. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Team Symbiote released a DVD player, but it requires a drivechip.

Stick to the MFE for now.

4. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    It might require a drivechip.

Wii without software or hardware mods, won't read DVD discs for any purpose, not even data files.

Contrary to popular belief... Real Wii game discs aren't quite proper DVDs, so Nintendo doesn't officially refer to them using the "DVD" name or logo.

5. davidw89

Member davidw89 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Why not buy a $15 dvd player?

6. kallekall

Member kallekall GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Because he want to play dvd on his wii [​IMG]

7. teq

United States
    Well, not that you're going to be mistaken, but they are DVDs... they just aren't ISO format.

If someone could burn a disc in the same layout that the Wii uses, we wouldn't have much of a problem.

However, it would take a lot of low-level hacks to do.

8. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Is a cake a cookie if someone calls it a cookie? No.

Nintendo doesn't use the "DVD" name or logo on them. Making their actual name not "DVD".

9. littlestevie

Member littlestevie GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I was part of Team Symbiote (retired from the industry expanding out lol) and there were alot of things we didnt realise when we released that player

its buggy as all shit! well thats just 1 problem lol......

the biggest problem is that MIOS puts a limited in place on the 1.4gb disks, that while a drive chip can bypass, it wont do it in 1 hit
    (this is why multigame disks are fine because its not 4.7 gb of data for the game but 1.4 gb max per game)

10. santorix10

Member santorix10 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    *pops his head in the door*

Eh? Someone has cookie cake?

*gets glared at* *leaves*

11. nedthehead

Newcomer nedthehead Member

Canada
    In the eventual future, could a Custom Firmware unlock the potential to play DVD's? If programmed right, I can't see why it wouldn't be able to accept DVD's. That is to say it would take a HELL of alot of programming to make any CFW work like we want it to

12. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    Wii has played dvd's for a long time via any chip. Google 'wii dvd player'

13. davidw89

Member davidw89 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    And that has a better exprience because??

Oh i heard that it might screw up the wii lens and make your games unplayable..is this true?

14. Anorhc

Member Anorhc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My current setup at home does not allow me to add anymore additional consoles/players and combining these things together will help save space.

15. teq

United States
    I think you lost everyone with this post...

DVD stands for Digital Versatile Disc, with an emphasis on "versatile". The contents on the disc don't change the physical makeup of the disc, so it's still a DVD no matter how you look at it.

The DVD "logo" you're referring to is only for region encoding of movies. Games follow a different regional coding set up by an entirely different organization.

As far as DVDs on the Wii are concerned, I don't think it's going to be a relevant issue when MFE is released with USB support.

16. Sanjuro

Newcomer Sanjuro Newbie

If the drive is anything like the PS2's drive, no firmware can force reading of a disc.
    At least in the PS2, the BIOS cannot take over the drive unless the PS2 authorizes the disc (so if it finds an invalid disc it will lock up and refuse to send data to ANY application, commercial or homebrew), which is why modchips are needed.

(The memento team got over this by creating a patch that tricks the PS2 into thinking the disc is a dvd movie and allowing apps to access it, combined with their launcher, we'd have to find a similar solution for the wii, but since it was not designed to accept any kind of burned disc, I doubt it, and now that I think about it, perhaps this could be one of the reasons they left out dvd movie support, full denial of burned media.)

17. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    That's incorrect. Licensed data DVDs have a logo too. Look at DVD format PS2 games.

18. Xeronage

Member Xeronage GBAtemp Advanced Fan

The Wii Drive Lens doesn't like being constantly used for reading DVD Movies...It'll wear out sooner than you can say "It isn't working!"

19. teq

United States
    I don't know why everyone says this....

The Wii's DVDROM drive is identical to one you would find in a computer or DVD player, so why would it wear out any faster?

Furthermore, if anything on DVDROM drive were to break, it would be the mechanical parts first.... the lens would be the last thing to go out.

I think everyone developed a lot of paranoia from the days of the PS2. Sony used cheap DVDROM drives that went out due to mechanical failure... the lenses just needed to be readjusted.