Hacking DVD Drive Seeking Loudly on Backups?

INTERNETS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an OpenWii installation going for myself, and as I was playing Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition burned onto a Maxell DVD-R, I noticed that the drive seems to be seeking rather loudly during loading times.

Do you think that it's harmful to the laser? Anyone experience similar problems?

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont get that problem with my resident evil back-up, I would suggest you buy other discs
frown.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
just a thought, but my original copy of red steel is very noisy when loading a new section of the game (it's the only game out of my game collection that is noisy loading), i think it's normal, maybe you can try burning at a low speed (max i think is 6x), that may help, maxell is a grade B media so it's definitely not the media problem. and Warm Woolly Sheep he is using DVD -R media.

3DPiper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I used Maxell discs, they ALL made that sound..

I switched to Sony, and all sounds and errors went away..

-Matthew

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i'm gonna see how well the maxell dvd+r's i have right now fare on my wii, if i get any problems i will change to sony media, 3DPiper what type of sony media? + or -?

philco1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What speed of disk are you using? Are you using 8x write speed disks or 16x speed disks. Some optical drives are unable to read 16x speed disks properly and require firmware updates in order to read and write to them. This may be the issue with your Wii. I'm not to sure tho if Nintendo has released firmware updates for their optical drives. I've had this problem, not with my Wii as its not modded but with external DVD writers. Try using a lower write speed disk and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

INTERNETS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What speed of disk are you using? Are you using 8x write speed disks or 16x speed disks. Some optical drives are unable to read 16x speed disks properly and require firmware updates in order to read and write to them. This may be the issue with your Wii. I'm not to sure tho if Nintendo has released firmware updates for their optical drives. I've had this problem, not with my Wii as its not modded but with external DVD writers. Try using a lower write speed disk and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

I'm using Maxell x16 DVD-Rs, which seem to work very well for the two other backups I've burned (Wario Ware and Super Paper Mario) – both of which were recorded at a 4x speed. Neither have the loud seeking problems, incidentally.

I might try nabbing another type of media, but honestly, I'm unsure of what I should go for.

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I use some super cheap Imation DVD+Rs with bitsetting automatically changed to DVD Rom when burning and the result is fine. As well as TY03 DVD-Rs which also work fine, neither gives off a loud noise, on the whole it's relatively quiet, I noticed the noise with my original games, however. It may still be making noise, but I've not noted any excessive noise.

AS for finalising discs, I would suggest you do need to finalise the discs for the game to work, not sure how a wiikey would change that

philco1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd go for some Sony R- disks ... they may be expensive, but consider what ur putting them into
biggrin.gif
... an extra couple of bux wont hurt ya

INTERNETS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did some control tests last night with an original game, and according to what I could subjectively hear, my backup of Super Paper Mario burned on a Maxell 16x DVD-R produces the same amount of noise as an original.

I'm thinking that something happened to my RE4 Wii backup. The Maxell media seems to be perfectly fine.

eelw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only loud drive seeking backup I have is with Scarface. But others with the original are complaining of the same thing.

beatmag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try playing mario strikers , late at night, with tv silent...

my wii, keeps making noises.....
i tried many things,

+r (-rom booktype) x4,x8, Verbatim +R
-R x4, Verbatim -R

same.......to me...... all made noise

HipN

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am using Ridata DVD-Rs and it happened to my Biohazard 4 game, and sometimes with my Brain Age game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all