DVD Drive Replacement or just the laser lence???

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by xGRUMPYx, Mar 14, 2011.

Mar 14, 2011
  1. xGRUMPYx
    OP

Newcomer xGRUMPYx Advanced Member

United States
    well lately the wii be making weird noices , when ever im playing any game it starts making a ''BEEP BEEP BEEP`` noice when ever it loads a game, during gameplay it happens rarely, so far no disc errors, but im concern the drive or laser will die soon, do i replace the dvd drive or the laser lence??? BTW i also use backups...

2. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Beep beep beep? Hmm, I've known some consoles to make that noise. Never had any of them have a problem though. I think you'll probably be ok.

You may get away with just the laser, but for a problem where there is no definite solution, might be easier to just change the whole drive. Take it apart and try to find out what component is making the noise.

3. xGRUMPYx
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the reply, well i just dissamble my wii to take all the dust out but no luck, i also noticed the laser is movin back and fourth with that "beep'' sound, it happends randomly but more when loading, is that normal??? if not how do i know what it needs to be replace?? new laser?? or the entire DVD drive?? if only the laser, does it really matter what type of laser should i get?? i just want to get the right one for my backups.

4. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    You say when loading. Do you mean, as you put the disc in? It takes it in, spins and then beeps? If so, yeah this is pretty common and normal behaviour. You used to hear it a lot more with I think it was the PS1, the wii isn't too bad for it, but it does do it at times. I haven't noticed this to mean the laser needs replacing though.

Is your wii actually struggling to read anything? If you aren't having problems, ya know provided this is the same quiet beep I'm thinking of, just carry on and ignore it.
    I say if it reads fine and isn't damaging discs or anything then just keep going.

But either way, get with the times man, dvd drives on wii's are redundant. USB loaders all the way, less parts to go wrong for one

5. xGRUMPYx
    OP

United States
    no this happens after the disc already spins.. to be more specific it happens during gameplay dude, but it happens more when the game is loading.. ones it saids LOADING ect the laser starts moving up and down and that BEEP sound. btw thanks for the replies

6. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    In that case mate you better get a video or something. No idea what that is

7. xGRUMPYx
    OP

United States
    i guess ill just replace the laser to see if the problem goes away, are all wii lasers the same? i mean how do i know if get the right one? i want the right wii laser to be still able to read my backups..

8. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    Is your wii softmodded? Ive seen lots of threads where people have softmodded and noticed these "beeps". Its quite normal, even with non-modded consoles

9. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    All wii lasers are the same yeah. Ebay or deal extreme mate

10. xGRUMPYx
    OP

United States
    ok just replaced the laser and with a new wii black shell, no more dvd drive problems [​IMG] other than that one of my wii remotes hasnt been working for the past few months, i mean it works but when it comes to pressing the buttons i have to press it with a little pressure, i replaced the batteries and the control has never been drop or anything, any help???

11. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    Take it apart and give it a clean and if that fails, new remote. Only way really.

Glad to hear your new laser worked out

12. xGRUMPYx
    OP

United States
    yeah ill try that, if not then i guess i have to replace it.. if i have another wii related problem ill make sure to post here again asap [​IMG]