Hardware DVD Drive Replace

Metalik

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hello.I am will buying new wii (Black With newest dvd chipset).It will be my second wii.First one is bricked (IOS60 Brick).Repair in Russia costs like,new black wii in Germany (amazon.de).My old wii is chipped with WiiKey.Can I place my old chipped dvd drive to new wii?And play on new console,as on old one?

SirTempest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
basically i'd say yes, but there are some new drives which have different pins in their connectors. if you get one of these you can't swap the drives. but if you get an "older" one with d3, this won't be a problem

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SirTempest said:
basically i'd say yes, but there are some new drives which have different pins in their connectors. if you get one of these you can't swap the drives. but if you get an "older" one with d3, this won't be a problem
No, SirTempest. OP: Yes you can swap the DVD drives. All Wii DVD drives have the same connector for attaching to the motherboard. If there was a different connector, there would have to be a new motherboard revision, which there isn't.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm quite sure there isn't a motherboard revision. It probably means that the DVD drive boards are unswappable, not the whole drives themselves. I also can't access the Wiinewz post about that drive, so I can't see pics of the drive.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
There is indeed a new drive. It was actually discovered a while back, but slipped from news highlights. Here's a picture of the drive.

... We need to standardize a name for this thing.
mellow.gif

And one more thing... WODE works on it, by the way.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
The drive connector and power connector look the same, what's to stop the OP from just swapping out the entire DVD drive?
To be honest, I don't know. Either the Wii checks something in the drive chipset or the cable connections were scrambled (I think I read somewhere that the latter was the case). Bottom line is that drive swapping doesn't work with the new drive revision.

Keep in mind there is slight chance that the OP may luck out and get the D3-2 drive instead, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y