DVD drive or USB External Drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by thebigboss14, Jul 28, 2010.

Jul 28, 2010
  1. thebigboss14
    OP

Member thebigboss14 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, my question is that my Wii 4.2U being part of the D3-2 or LU64+ family could be altered with a older drive like a D2 or by any other type of DVD drive to enable the support of backups and DVDs. Can I use one from my computer and make some modifications to adapted to the Wii or its a totally and absolutely better way to buy an USB External Drive and try to use it to play my DVDs and stuff. I have a USB HD but I will like to be able to play DVDs too. Any ideas guys? I know that you guys have many with different solutions, come on! I want to hear them all! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. d3monsting

Member d3monsting GBAtemp Regular

United States
    USB HDD would be a better solution.

3. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    A Wii's DVD drive is proprietary; you can't use a computer drive in the Wii. You can get an older drive and replace the current one. Another option, if ou MUST have a DVD drive, would be to use a USB DVD drive.

4. thebigboss14
    OP

United States
    I already play backups from my USB HD, its just that I will also be able to play GC backups and other stuff like dvds and hombrew from CDs. I was just wondering if a regular DVD drive from a PC could be converted to an USB drive becuase you know that you could do the same thing with a sata HD and convert it to USB with an adapter.

5. toejam316

Member toejam316 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    I believe ULoader supports loading DVDs from a USB DVD Drive, but I'd still say it'd not be worth the effort, you're better off sticking with USB for all but the few problem games.

6. thebigboss14
    OP

United States
    You are absolutely right. I think I maybe get a cheap USB DVD Drive just to reproduce movies and music. We never know. Thanks to all of you.