DVD drive not working in PS2Phat, can I mod for HDD?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by mrmilkman, Aug 24, 2009.

1. mrmilkman
    OP

Newcomer mrmilkman Member

Antarctica
    Hi all my bro's PS2Phat DVD drive is totally stuffed, but the rest of it is in fine condition. We wanted to mod it to run games of HDD, is this possible without the DVD working? Any kind of softmodding similar to the Wii via homebrew and memory cards etc? Also the PS2 is stock no mods or anything..

thanks

2. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    look it up on google. search: ps2 hdd mods or something like that.

i assume it is possible.

3. mrmilkman
    OP

Antarctica
    I have, and every time I think I'm onto something it suddenly mentions, now place PS1 disc in or something like that.... that's why I'm asking the question now, in case someone actually knows...

4. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    100% sure its stuffed and not just in need of a lense clean?!

try cleaning the lens and adjust the caddy so it holds the disk a little closer to the lense there are some good guides on google how to do this [​IMG]

5. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Unless you buy Memor32 to install the exploit then yes you need the PS2 to read a disc at least once. I'd suggest you do as kobykaan says and google PS2 laser repairs or DRE fixes.

6. mrmilkman
    OP

Antarctica
    I'm pretty sure we tried using a lense cleaner CD thing a year or so ago and to no avail. I'll give it another go later today, and follow one of the guides. I never heard of adjusting the caddy so it's closer, I'll look into that too... also I've never heard of a DRE fix, I'll look that up too... hopefully it will help bring Detox out sooner [​IMG]

7. mrmilkman
    OP

Antarctica
    oh yeh, and I've also got a Japanese PS2 phat, that my Japanese friend blew by plugging it directly into New Zealand 240volt mains, I looked at the DVD drive in that and it looks completely different to the Australian PAL PS2 drive, wonder if I can install that drive somehow? I might start another thread about repairing the JAP PS2 so this one doesn't go off topic.

8. scooochie4

Newcomer scooochie4 Advanced Member

Ireland
    I had this problem and managed to get it working! My ps2 phat wouldn't read disks, but crucially it managed to read a CD version of swap magic. (I imagine its easier for a ps2 to read a CD than a DVD). Also, I tried various positions before it read the CD, i tried flat on the floor, upright and even upside down! Once, it reads the swap magic CD you can then launch an .elf file

Personally I launched an app called ulaunchelf (basically a file viewer) which then allowed me to browse files in a usb drive attached to the ps2. From there I was able to launch the free McBoot installer and viola. I can now load games via usb and will never need the disk drive ever again.

Then again, you might not be so lucky that your ps2 can still reads CD's. Try a music CD first maybe?

9. mrmilkman
    OP

Antarctica
    cool thanks for the info I'll give it a go